Gransnet forums

News & politics

Morals and standards of public behaviour

(88 Posts)
GillT57 Fri 11-Oct-19 11:49:50

Over the past few days, the world has watched, generally appalled, as Trump has withdrawn troops from Kurdish areas and basically condemned thousands of people to terror, warfare, bombing, destruction. Over the past few months, we here have watched a PM tell lies, a cabinet go back on previous assurances etc., etc., Leaving aside, if we can, what side of the Brexit argument we are on, surely I cannot be the only one frightened, disgusted, ashamed of those who have been elected to represent the people in USA and GB? Why is no-one able or prepared to call these people out, confront them with their lies or the effects of their appalling acts?

Nonnie Tue 15-Oct-19 10:25:13

mcem you are very fortunate. I wouldn't vote for mine whichever party he stood for, his tweets are inane.

mcem Mon 14-Oct-19 18:29:45

Happy with my mp.
I keep up with him on They Work for You website and am happy with his voting
record and questions.
He answers emails promptly and is often out and about in the constituency.
Born and educated locally !

varian Mon 14-Oct-19 18:06:03

Many of us have dreadful MPs like that Nonnie.

We campaign to get rid of them. Ours is a Tory and we work hard to support the LibDems who stands the best chance of defeating him. It also happens that we think that thew LibDems have the best policies.

In other constituencies you might need to support the Remain Party which has the best chance of defeating the Tories.

Nonnie Mon 14-Oct-19 09:41:36

Caro57 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:34:49 agree about the senior ones but in the case of my MP he is simply a sycophant who says what is required of his party in the hope of promotion or keeping his job. Changes his opinion as and when suits his purpose and I overheard him saying that when it all goes wrong he will go back to the Isle of Man where his money is.

MaizieD Sun 13-Oct-19 16:42:42

starbird Sat 12-Oct-19 17:16:25 I like that.

I couldn't even work out what it meant, nonnie!

Caro57 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:34:49

As far as I can see the main problem is the vast majority of political figures are there for their own egos rather than the good of the country they are in. I think that is more common nowadays

Caro57 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:33:08

?

Nonnie Sun 13-Oct-19 10:07:26

CarlyD7 Sat 12-Oct-19 11:19:18 I agree but I do wonder how we would achieve a written constitution when we have taken so long to not achieve leaving the EU.

GillT57 Sat 12-Oct-19 13:01:52 well said...
Urmston "
Bercow whilst enabling backbenchers to table obscure motions and amendments (quoting arcane laws and trolling through legalese to back up his position)" I thought that was his job? varian said "The Speaker of the House of Commons has the duty to ensure that Members of Parliament are able to hold the government to account, and John Bercow has done just that." and I agree.

starbird Sat 12-Oct-19 17:16:25 I like that.

ChocoholicSue Sun 13-Oct-19 08:30:25

Agree with 4allweknow. I have experience of newspapers cherry picking a piece of news then reporting it disproportionately. Also I can't bear aggressive tv journalists. It all has the effect of my not wanting to read or listen to the news. I tend to push the red button on tv to keep up. That's enough for me.

Amagran Sun 13-Oct-19 01:09:17

Good posts, varian, especially 15.21.

4allweknow Sat 12-Oct-19 22:33:05

We have so much media coverage nowadays. All have a vested interest y3o relay their own interpretation in a way to get our attention. There never has been so much information correct or not thrown at us so frequently. We have become saturated with it. I do agree that some modicum of civility is needed when those in office are addressing others, no matter who.

Davidhs Sat 12-Oct-19 18:54:24

Bercow finishes his stint as speaker in a few weeks and with parliament in the present mood his replacement is likely to be in the same mould, a pro Tory speaker is highly unlikely.

varian Sat 12-Oct-19 18:47:27

I think you are right tomtom when you say there are a lot of people who don't know what the so-called brexit party stands for, but sadly that did not prevent them voting for them in the EU elections and they would probably vote for them again if instructed to do so be the Daily Express, The Sun or the Daily Mail.

tomtom12 Sat 12-Oct-19 18:10:51

Can someone tell me what the Brexit party stand for I think they are just splitting the votes I just would not know who to vote for next time I think there is alotof people like me

MaizieD Sat 12-Oct-19 17:22:27

A person cannot stand up and say “Vote for me if you want to leave/remain in the EU” or whatever, because until he or she is in the cabinet they are not privy to all the facts,

A bit amazed by this, starbird. It seems to imply that no-one except cabinet members have any idea of the 'facts' so we shouldn't vote for anyone?

Perhaps we shouldn't have been asked to vote on our membership of the EU, either, as it is plain that significant numbers of our PMs and general public weren't 'privy to the facts'...

Barmeyoldbat Sat 12-Oct-19 17:17:47

Excellent post Varian. Urmsgran, the deal seems to be no different to TMs so it no no chance of being voted through. So don't think thats it we are leaving, a long to go yet.

starbird Sat 12-Oct-19 17:16:25

What you really need for good governance are people with integrity, common sense, experience and some understanding of world history. A person cannot stand up and say “Vote for me if you want to leave/remain in the EU” or whatever, because until he or she is in the cabinet they are not privy to all the facts, ( and perhaps not then). We do not need parties who support one man who appears to have mass appeal, we should find a person we trust to investigate the facts and do the right thing on any matter that comes up for discussion.

MaizieD Sat 12-Oct-19 17:13:21

Good post at 15.21 varian but I think you wasted your time typing it all out. I don't think that Leavers will ever understand how our Parliamentary Democracy works. hmm

Menopauselbitch Sat 12-Oct-19 17:03:37

Any American companies that I’ve had dealings with have always looked after their staff. British American Tobbacco was a fantastic company to work for.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Oct-19 16:28:30

I can't detect much change from how things have always been. Perhaps there's less polite veneer and a bit more honesty lately but I've always been very disappointed by US and UK politicians.

varian Sat 12-Oct-19 16:26:50

Bercow voted Remain, discussing it candidly with a group of students, but in an interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica denied this meant he had lost his impartiality.

“If I’m biased, I’m biased in favour of Parliament. Parliament being heard. Parliament having a right to speak. Parliament having time. Parliament being respected by the government of the day and indeed by the opposition,” he said.

www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/national/17891318.john-bercow-10-colourful-years-speaker-commons/

Rosina Sat 12-Oct-19 16:15:53

This is the way of the world now it seems; well known people are convicted of criminal activity and are then in the public eye again without any shame or contrition; corrupt behaviour gets shrugged off, excuses are made when blatant wrongdoing is uncovered.
I find it all really worrying and begin to wonder where decency and a moral compass have gone. John Bercow, incidentally, has displayed such a lack of impartiality that I wonder how he dares to sit in the Speaker's chair every day - and for some considerable time he refused to relinquish his position when he should have done so. Why was he allowed to get away with that? Spineless 'management' I would suggest.

varian Sat 12-Oct-19 15:21:34

A Parliamentary democracy is where the democratic governance of a state features an executive branch (the part of government with the authority and responsibility for the daily administration of the state) derives legitimacy from, and is held accountable to, the legislature (Parliament, with the power to enact, amend and repeal laws).

In this system of government, the Head of state is normally a different person from the head of government. In the UK, which is a constitutional monarchy, the Queen is the ceremonial head of state whilst the Prime Minister is the head of Government. In some other countries, such as Israel, the Head of State is the (mostly ceremonial) President, but the Head of Government is the Prime Minister.

Britain’s system of Parliamentary democracy, along with most other Western Governments,is also commonly called a ‘Liberal Democracy’, in which Government gets its legitimacy from the people through regular elections, in which most adults can vote, with good choice of candidates and a secret ballot. That government should be accountable to the people for what it does, with Parliament holding it accountable.There should be a free press, free speech and in most countries a written Bill of rights that prioritises the rights of the individual. A central aim of liberal democracy as a system is that it tries to limit the power of the main branches of government over the individual.

The Speaker of the House of Commons has the duty to ensure that Members of Parliament are able to hold the government to account, and John Bercow has done just that.

Urmstongran Sat 12-Oct-19 15:12:08

I agree with you too newnanny
??

And I know what you’re getting at here MaizieD - it being that the government has to answer to Parliament.

But (via a GE if nothing else) Parliament has to answer to the PEOPLE it represents.

Bercow whilst enabling backbenchers to table obscure motions and amendments (quoting arcane laws and trolling through legalese to back up his position) has revealed that he is NOT impartial regarding Brexit.

He nailed his colours to the mast a long time ago!

Ah well, joy of joys - if Boris pulls a deal out of the hat and MP’s vote for it we LEAVE soon and it’s ‘bye bye’ Bercow.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 12-Oct-19 14:55:10

By your post new nanny you are showing the same traits as Bercow.