Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen’s Speech today

(127 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 09:36:14

Pomp and

Her Majesty will be reading out the Government’s programme for the next 12 months with no real expectation on the part of her ministers that any of the proferred legislation will be enacted.

When the Queen says today that “my Government will” introduce this statute or amend that law, everyone will know the chances of it doing so are vanishingly small.

Amid all the defections and suspensions of Conservative MPs, Boris Johnson is at least 40 votes short of a majority and could well lose the main division on the Queen’s Speech, the first prime minister to do so in almost 100 years.

But the reality behind today’s announcements is that, until there is a general election, a new Parliament and a conclusion to Brexit, the current political paralysis will continue!

rosecarmel Mon 14-Oct-19 14:52:11

I don't know if state side coverage of the speech is different but when the camera was on Boris Johnson he appeared to be smiling/pleased- Why?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:57:23

We would call it smirking.

He loves the limelight.

MaizieD Mon 14-Oct-19 15:04:10

he appeared to be smiling/pleased- Why?

He thinks his manifesto for the the next GE is going to win him millions of votes?

He's enjoying the pantomime that he's contrived?

He's revelling in the power he has to make a 93 year old lady go through all this rigmarole to read out a load of b*ll*cks which is never going to be implemented?

He's doing it all for a joke; he's going to revoke A50 at 11.59 pm 30th October and he's imagining everyone's faces when he does.. Oh, what larks...

I don't know. Any suggestions anyone? hmm

Barmeyoldbat Mon 14-Oct-19 15:05:42

Its going to be interesting this week and Saturday a real ding dong of a day. Boris hasn't a hope in hell of getting anything voted on and the so called deal certainly won't. Just let me know which ditch Boris is planning to go in so I can throw all my rubbish in on top of him.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 15:07:21

I’ll be behind you barmy

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 15:16:18

I don’t think Johnson will be forgiven for forcing our elderly Queen to read out such a political statement.

Something she has never expected to do.

It was a disgrace.

varian Mon 14-Oct-19 17:55:48

I don't think I have ever seen our queen, who is absolutely amazing for her age and has unparalleled experience of political shenanigans, looking so frail, so uncomfortable and so disapproving.

Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 18:08:49

I liked the beaming smiles though from her as she sat next to Camilla on the way there so it wasn’t all glumness today.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Oct-19 18:16:39

Remember Johnson’s and Patel’s smirk when our country is falling apart.

mcem Mon 14-Oct-19 18:48:22

Joanna Cherry got it right. Mediaeval pomp and circumstance is totally irrelevant given present crisis.
Distraction and entertainment for the few while BJ thinks the glitter will attract the .masses.
Fat chance!
Tory party political broadcast without having to dig into part funds!

Grany Tue 15-Oct-19 08:47:58

@LauraPidcockMP
·
17h
I know some love the pomp, but when there are 14m people in poverty; when there are 1.6m foodbank parcels being handed out a year; when there are rough sleepers in every corner of our cities, I can’t help finding the opulence on display in Parliament today deeply uncomfortable.

Rose Shillito #FreeAssange
@rozzleberry
·
13h
Replying to
@LauraPidcockMP
and
@Trickyjabs
Totally agree. This display of wealth & privilege when we have 14m ppl living in poverty, inc 4.5m children is simply sickening. Set this against the UN rapporteur’s damning report into wholly avoidable levels of destitution. There is no other country on Earth where this happens.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Oct-19 09:27:25

Well that’s that then, a few days of debating something that will never happen, and back to Brexit.

What a waste of taxpayers money - a vanity project on Johnson’s part, who in answer to the opposition’s criticisms, could only waffle and piffle showing both arrogance and dismissal, clearly only interested in his own survival.
What does it matter if an elderly lady was dragged out to read a speech no one believes will happen and who must loath Johnson. First he lies over prorogation, now he’s dragging her out for political reasons only and why miss a good opportunity to advertise his future manifesto.

There is nothing this charlatan won’t stoop to, to gain his dream. There is no one he would not ride roughshod over to pursue his own ends.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 09:46:03

yes Bluebelle, poor little very old lady, her voice so diminished. I wish she would quit.

Charles is very highly coloured isn't he?

crystaltipps Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:12

All those complaining about the EU wasting money might like to reflect on the money this government are wasting on charades such as this , not to mention meaningless advertising campaigns.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 10:31:16

I wonder if Charles has a drink problem? His face is very ruddy and flushed.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 10:35:50

"Charades like this"?!

No! I think they are very valuable trappings of a fair, and carefully managed form of government. We would be worse off without them.

The queen carried out her role beautifully as usual. Of course she's old but she's still sound in wind and limb. Shame she can't still wear her crown, but the amazing tiara looked beautiful.

The MP quoted on this thread is talking out of her backside.How would getting rid of the State Opening of Parliament, and the like, help the disadvantaged of this
country? If you sold off the lot it wouldn't go far for very long.

The State Opening had to be done. It was done well. As usual.

Gonegirl Tue 15-Oct-19 10:36:58

And for anyone to suggest XR would be any danger to the Queen is simply laughable.

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 10:53:07

An analysis, carried out by Citi bank on behalf of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, calculated UK national income is already between £55bn and £66bn lower than it would have been if the country voted Remain in the 2016 EU referendum.

inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-latest-news-no-deal-government-fiscal-rules-uk-debt-649029

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Oct-19 11:23:58

Gonegirl. Totally agree with your last two posts.

Welshwife Tue 15-Oct-19 11:53:43

Most of the people of the Royal Household have ruddy faces Um. It is very noticeable if you see them close to. I can remember as a child seeing the then King and Queen riding in an open carriage and being so surprised at their complexion.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Oct-19 11:54:53

I think that you have misunderstood the meaning of “charade” gonegirl

It was not being used to describe the pomp and ceremony of a state opening, but used to describe Johnson’s insistence in having a QS at this point if time.

Utterly pointless and a total charade. None of it will come into effect, it was simply a party political opportunity.

Disgraceful.

And judging by the Queens demeanour, she thought so too.

quizqueen Tue 15-Oct-19 11:57:29

All the policies seemed quite sensible to me.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Oct-19 12:04:08

qq???

JenniferEccles Tue 15-Oct-19 12:32:07

Of course they are sensible but until Labour finally decide if they want a GE there is no hope of anything being implemented.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 12:48:57

Which policies did you particularly like quizqueen and which do you think will actually come to fruition?

Thanks.