Gransnet forums

News & politics

bloody whinging royals

(494 Posts)
paddyann Fri 18-Oct-19 22:45:32

we had Harry all over the "news" earlier now his wife has joined in with the whinging about how hard their life is!! Honestly ..they should have to live the lives of millions in this country and then they would know how HARD life can get .Why is it NEWS anyway? If its so hard they can always walk away .

paddyann Sat 19-Oct-19 09:13:46

I dont know about you WWM2 but I dont broadcast my problems to everyone I meet in the street so why would they want the whole world to know.Thats if you can call it problems in the context of the world as it is now .
Last night I switched on the news to see if there was any coverage of the horrors on Barcelonas streets.....first item was Meghan whining about her life !!WHEN was that or when should that be headline news? Shes a middle aged woman who knew what she wanted and now she has it she's decided its not what she wants after all....well tough luck ...as my late mother would have said she made her bed so she needs to lie in it adn realise that in comparison with MILLIONS all over the UK she's a very lucky overprivileged woman.Her 4 private jet flights in 11 days would feed a family for a year or more .

Iam64 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:13:59

Another one offering support to the comments by GrannyGravy and OldWoman.
The level of animosity shown to this young couple by older women on this site shocks me.
Hands up anyone who never made mistakes, who has the kind of adult children who never get things wrong, become emotional etc.
Harry lost his mother at the key developmental stage. He'd grown up with the backdrop of his parents failing marriage, awful details of that being on the front page of the papers. I won't go on because it's clear those who have no compassion for him and have even less compassion for his wife won't change their views.
I'm relieved my family and friendship circle continue to support each other and any of us who are struggling - even more relieved that we can do this without having to respond to interview questions when all we want to do is hide away. We're also in the position of being able to take time away from work if we're wobbling.

Oldwoman70 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:27:03

paddyann - whether the interview was shown first last or never was not her decision, it was the decision of the programme makers.

If she refused to answer questions she would be condemned for being secretive, she answers questions and is condemned for being whinging , if she tried to gloss over her feelings she would be condemned for lying

Anniebach Sat 19-Oct-19 09:27:04

She may be struggling with her chosen new life, he is damaged.

Why do they need to tell the world ? Share problems with family and friends not tv cameras.

They had a successful visit to Africa, as soon as they came home they announced they were suing the press, this brought
criticism.

Now a tv programme where they need to tell the world they are troubled .

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:36:36

The program was filmed in Africa, a documentary of their trip.

merlotgran Sat 19-Oct-19 09:39:47

Many people are scarred by losing a parent at a young age, my younger brother was a year older than Harry when Dad died. OK he didn't have to grieve in the world spotlight but his 'going off the rails' meant being expelled from school and bumming around in a hippy commune.

But.....he turned his own life around, studied and worked hard and made a success of his career. He is the most generous man I know and supports mental health charities amongst others.

I cannot spare a smidgeon of sympathy for H&M's self pity when so many people are really struggling. It's called real life and Harry is mocking those who find it hard to even get out of bed every day with his crocodile tears which have only appeared since his marriage (funny, that!)

He also needs reminding that it was a drunk driver who killed his mother. She courted the press!

sodapop Sat 19-Oct-19 09:50:48

I agree with Merlotgran it is only Meghan & Harry who are so annoying with their complaints. I think the immediate members of the Royal Family do a good job.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 09:55:08

I think Harry's emotions are all over the place at the moment, partly because of the losing his mother at such a young age and all the trappings that went with that, but mainly because he is head over heels in love with his wife and new baby.

Why not cut him some slack? He's obviously dong his best.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 09:58:21

I don't agree that it was only a drunk driver that killed Diana. All those flashing paparazzi lights must have had a big part in it. Harry probably still hates drunk drivers and press photographers.

Anniebach Sat 19-Oct-19 10:02:58

If the programme was filmed in Africa what did her struggles of being a new mother have to do with their visit to Africa

Catherine hasn’t told the world of the pressure from the press before her marriage, her morning sickness through three pregnancies .

They need to separate their private lives from their public lives.

Harry will be claiming he has post natal depression next

merlotgran Sat 19-Oct-19 10:03:08

Isn't it so much easier to have actual people to rail against rather than an unforgiving disease or failed system?

Those who throw themselves into raising money for cancer or mental health charities on behalf of loved ones are probably inwardly screaming at the unfairness of it all but are attempting to help themselves by helping others.

Grief is a miserable process. Harry must stop using Diana as a stick to beat others. If Meghan is getting negative press this is not the way to turn things around.

SirChenjin Sat 19-Oct-19 10:08:29

I don’t feel any animosity towards them - I don’t know them. I’m just utterly fed up of hearing 2 adults in their mid thirties who lead incredibly privileged lives complaining about how difficult things are for them. Have they any idea of the sort of difficulties millions experience every day in this country?? Both H&M have been in the public eye for so long that you’d have thought they’d have got this PR thing down to a T but instead they appear to believe their own self importance as global ambassadors for various causes and they get their media image very wrong - as members of the RF they really have very limit functions while they’re on that payroll. I feel hugely sympathetic towards Harry (and every other child who loses a parent) but there does come a point in your working life when you need to put that to one side - they really need to get some brand advice and start to minimise the damage things like their private jet travel and banana messages do.

I really for the life of me can’t see why they need to make things so complicated - keep a low profile, turn up to some openings and smile and chat to the crowd, post some cute pictures of Archie (which include his face as normal people do) on your Instagram, use your own millions to renovate a new house you decided you fancied, and don’t get involved in PR stunts like writing on bananas or giving barefoot speeches on the environment. Easy peasy.

annsixty Sat 19-Oct-19 10:11:43

I lost my F when I was 11.
No welfare state then, we lived in poverty, my mother did three jobs every day so that she could manage.
It made her a very hard and bitter woman, so I had so much to deal with.
It coloured my whole life in some respects but I got on with it and still am doing.
I didn't ever talk about it, not many people now know.

trisher Sat 19-Oct-19 10:13:28

I always find it very odd how people like to play "Good cop, bad cop" with the RF. There's always someone who is the bad guy and another who is a saint. It was Charles and Diana for a bit, Queen and Phil before, Queen and Princess Margaret for a bit, now it's Kate and Will and Meghan and Harry. No one really knows what is going on in any of their lives. In any case it's all largely irrelevant. Now if we did get rid of them and actually set up as I once suggested a RF It's a knockout, in K&W and M&H we'd have ideal rival teams.

Anniebach Sat 19-Oct-19 10:14:31

Can it be that because Diana was so popular with many because she spoke of all her problems to the world that this couple have decided to do the same ?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:20:15

Anniebach. You may be correct in your last post.

We only know what the press tell us, or what H & M say in interviews, we have no idea of the actual editing process and what is left out and what comment is either in or out of context.

NanaandGrampy Sat 19-Oct-19 10:35:57

I would say I am a Royalist but when I saw the two clips I actually cringed!

Yes Meghan has a new role, a new marriage and a new baby but for goodness sake they have help coming out the wazzoo! She’s not an impoverished young women, living in rented accommodation living hand to mouth.

Millions of women all over the world manage- she needs to put her big girl pants on and get on with too.

I feel the same about Harry. Undoubtedly traumatised by the loss of his mother at a young age, but he’s not the first and he won’t be the last.

They could retire from public life if it is so hard ....ah but wait.....would that stop the money train.

I find it almost impossible to feel sympathetic to their ‘plight’ .

Oopsminty Sat 19-Oct-19 10:40:37

I'd say it was a sign of the times, but Kate and Williams haven't gone down this 'woe is me' route.

Looking back over the years there's been a lot that's happened to the RF . The Queen having to have a chat with a cigarette smoking interloper in her bedroom.

Anne almost being kidnapped.

Charles being shot at and hardly blinking.

They've all had their fair share of animosity on social media.

Not sure why H&M feel the need to open up so much. I assume it's damage limitation.

They've demanded privacy, quite rightly if that's what they want, but can't start crying if nobody's asked if she's OK.

And I'm sure they will have done.

Don't think I'll be watching this programme

seacliff Sat 19-Oct-19 10:58:31

I see that the documentary maker is ITNs Tom Bradby, a personal friend of both William and Harry. He was a guest at their weddings. So Harry and Meghan seem to have invited him along on their tour of Africa, to make a documentary. I'm sure they did have control over what he filmed, and what questions he asked.

I did feel sorry for her when I saw the clip when she said she was not OK. But I always feel that we the public are being manipulated, and that they are not being honest with us. That is why they are now so unpopular with some, people think they are hypocrites.

Harry seems to be "on the edge" and I think he really needs help. Surely they could just step away from Royal duties for a year or two? Not court publicity, raise their family in peace.

TerriBull Sat 19-Oct-19 10:59:20

With deference to those posters who have lost a child, I know from my husband who lost a son a while ago, that loss brings with it heightened sense of emotion, often lying dormant and under control, but sometimes out of the blue it can be triggered when least expected. It's the nature of bereavement. When Harry was a child his mother was clearly everything to him that comes across and whilst he won't be the only young person in the world to have lost a much loved parent, his personal tragedy is dredged up constantly, he was only a kid at the time, and it's clearly something he has to carry around with him. Possibly becoming a father has overwhelmed him emotionally, insomuch as love can be very much tied up with loss, I expect he's had his moments of reflection where he wished his mother was still here to share his experience of parenthood with him. Just a thought, I'm no psychiatrist.

Unfortunately the milieu Harry and Meghan seem to immerse themselves in, and of course with her acting background Meghan brought some of her own baggage. That combined with an increasing stance associated with a strata of the very privileged, most of whom have a disconnect with how ordinary people live. Grandstanding on certain issues and self congratulatory lecturing, planting trees and the like, does tend to piss the prolls off, someone should tell them, perhaps they do, they've certainly offloaded a lot of staff along the way!

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 10:59:29

They need to separate their private lives from their public lives

What, cut himself in half? He is one person. One living human being.

Alexa Sat 19-Oct-19 11:00:11

That interview Meghan gave was a faux pas. I though these royal people had publicity advisors.

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Oct-19 11:02:25

Are they being given sensible advice and if so, are they choosing to ignore it?

It's sad to think that Harry continues to be so badly affected by the loss of his mother but if this is the case than perhaps it would be better to withdraw from public life, if only temporarily.

The Queen's own experience following the death of Diana, showed rightly or wrongly, how the most prominent royal can risk falling out of favour with the public.

SirChenjin your post sums it up for me.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 11:04:05

People change so easily. How long ago is it everyone felt so sorry for that little boy being to make all that way behind his mother's coffin? Now, because the years have passed, everyone seems out to get him.

Milk of human kindness? Doesn't seem to exist does it?

If everyone would just stop tearing into them all the time things would be different. It's the general public as well as the press who have created all this bad feeling. Twitter, Gransnet.....

People just want to put over their take on things. It's all about exressing themselves these days. And don't hold back.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Oct-19 11:11:31

Society has created an " every man for himself " way of life so it isn't surprising that sympathy/empathy isn't always forthcoming for his fellow man. It's the sad way that things are