Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson and his lies

(523 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 19-Oct-19 15:19:29

The independent think tank UK in a Changing Europe has today found that Johnson's deal would reduce GDP per capita by between 2.3% and 7% over the next decade. This compares with May's deal where the estimate was between 1.9% and 5.5%. They also suggest that a deal would hit public finances by £16bn and £49bn.

Today in parliament Johnson promised that high standards on workers rights an environmental protections will be maintained.

The political declaration can enter UK law but it is only a statement of intent and he can therefore promise the ERG that, if he wins the next election, he will set aside the political declaration and pivot towards deregulation and a sweetheart deal with Trump. The purpose of the ERG is to deregulate at home in order to strike trade deals with the US and emerging markets.

Would someone please explain why he should now be trusted when he has lied throughout the whole of his career. After all, leopards don't change their spots. It would take too long to list all his lies, but here's some, as a reminder:

1. When suspended from the cable car across the Thames, the mechanism apparently failed. Of course, it was deliberately stopped and he claimed it failed for a good photo opportunity.

2. In his manifesto for the London Mayor election he promised that he would ensure that there would be manned ticket offices at every train station. he then agreed to widespread closures in order to fund 24 hour tube trains

3. Also in his manifesto he promised to eradicate rough sleeping - it doubled during his tenure

4. He lied about the reason for proroguing parliament

5. He repeated his lie about the EU regulating the shape of bananas

6. He lied about there being no press when he was at GOS Hospital

Now for the money wasted whilst mayor on vanity projects:

1. Feasibility study into the Garden Bridge - £52 million

2. Cable car £24 million

3. Boris bikes £225 million (original idea Ken Livingstone but BJ implemented it)

4. Water cannon £323,000 - not allowed under UK law, unsold and now scrapped

5. Estuary airport feasibility study £5.2 million

6. Olympic stadium conversion to football pitch for West Ham - £305 million. The club was supposed to contribute £153 million but in the end it only paid £15 million and now pays annual rent of £2.5 million.

7. Routemaster hybrid buses £321.6 million - superseded by the introduction of electric buses. It's USP is now defunct because the doors at the rear "hop on hop off" platforms are closed in moving traffic (and that includes at walking pace)

A few of these projects had small amounts of sponsorship money but most of the costs were funded by the tax payer

GracesGranMK3 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:12:41

I suppose in many countries most people don't realise they are voting to be turned into a dictatorship.

I still think they will change the laws on euthanasia, and everyone will think it a good thing and the slowly the expensive elderly who need high levels of care will disappear - until they get to the rest of us.

I'm pertrified.

Dinahmo Sat 30-Nov-19 17:24:38

The link from Armando Iannucci is truly scary. It's as though we've finally caught up with 1984. It feels like we are heading towards a black hole and no one is doing anything about it. No doubt the usual crew will accuse us of over reacting.

varian Sat 30-Nov-19 19:17:40

GG posts-"I suppose in many countries most people don't realise they are voting to be turned into a dictatorship."

Canadian journalist Malcolm Gladwell, who has travelled to many countries worldwide, says he has never come across anywhere like the UK where the nationsl press is so extremely partisan.

The readers of The Sun, The Express, The Telegraph and The Daily Mail have been thoroughly brainwashed for years.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 19:30:25

So true.

I think I r told this before.

My car is washed by a couple who have absolutely no interest in politics from day to day. They do however vote. They also read the Sun. when it comes to voting, they talk in Sun headlines.

There are millions like that.

Totally uncritical. The billionaire press know this and used every weapon at their disposal to further their interests.

GranE Sat 30-Nov-19 19:35:51

So, BJ has got his way - he will be interviewed on the Andrew Marr show after all, apparently, not because the BBC are running scared of him, but because of the awful events of yesterday at London Bridge... Believe it if you will.

varian, I find the partisanship of the press desperately worrying. It is a gift to any unprincipled right wing politician who believes that they can bend, manipulate and ignore established procedures and even the law itself. And yes, I do believe that one such is a current threat.

Now that the 'i' has been taken over by Viscount Rothermere, owner of the Daily Mail, we only have the Guardian to provide any sort of balance.

jura2 Sat 30-Nov-19 19:46:17

I don't (believe it ... not one bit sad )

Bossyrossy Sat 30-Nov-19 19:50:51

I wonder if his ex-wife thinks he’s honest and trustworthy?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 19:58:48

Good to see

James O'Brien
@mrjamesob

This is important. The logic that dissuades people from voting Lib Dem because they ‘can’t win’ is being dismantled in Dominic ‘British workers are among the worst idlers in the world’ Raab’s constituency. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke.
Quote Tweet

Britain Elects
@britainelects
· 38m
Esher & Walton, constituency voting intention:

Conservatives 46% Gone down by 13
Lib Dem’s 41% up by 24

Every time Raab opens his mouth he loses more support.

crystaltipps Sun 01-Dec-19 06:53:44

Now BJ is using the London Bridge attacks as some sort of electioneering saying “terrorists should not be released”. - perhaps he should be reminded who has been in charge of the justice system for the last NINE years. Will AM challenge him on this?

Ginny42 Sun 01-Dec-19 07:08:54

Why do they keep wheeling out Stanley Johnson for goodness sake? What has he got to do with anything except the contribution made via his genes? Listen to him and you can see where BJ gets it from. What an arrogant man he is.

When challenged about his sons lies, his immediate response was that most people in this country can't spell Pinocchio, as you need a certain level of literacy to be able to do that.

trueblue22 Sun 01-Dec-19 07:49:32

I really don't care about BJ- or anyone else's private life.

We desperately need a leader, who has the courage of their convictions and I'm fearful of
Corbyn's Marxist party getting anywhere near No 10.

If the Conservative party have a manifesto that's stronger on law & order, that would be a good thing; our liberal judiciary haven't made the best judgements lately.

I'm not a Right Wing voter, I'm just sick and tired of weak government and lack of direction.

Personally, I don't think Boris 'lies' any more than any other politician.

I'm awaiting the comments from some Left leaning grans here!

trueblue22 Sun 01-Dec-19 07:55:25

There are some dark arts happening by the Labour Party on social media.

My cousin's FB profile has been used to 'like' two of the Labour Party posts on FB.

She's tried to phone FB but can't get through. She's a LibDem voter and was horried when I screen shot the posts & sent them to her. What are they trying to achieve by hijacking her name?

trueblue22 Sun 01-Dec-19 07:57:49

crystaltips same goes for those that believe in the federalist EU

Ginny42 Sun 01-Dec-19 08:01:31

trueblue22 perhaps your leanings are in your moniker.

I'm just sick and tired of weak government and lack of direction.

Trueblue, the Tories have been in power for the last nine years.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 08:08:04

Hello trueblue are you new?

Are you intending to stay beyond 13/12?

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 08:55:30

trueblue, you don't need to be a Left leaning gran to have the moral compass to reject unreservedly the lies, racism, bullying, manipulation of Parliamentary procedure, undermining of the law and dissemination of fake news perpetrated by Boris Johnson.

And no, it is absolutely not what all politicians do. It is the opinion of many respected observers, including those in his own party and family, that he has sunk lower than any other politician before him standing for PM.

crystaltipps Sun 01-Dec-19 09:04:48

trueblue I have no idea what belief you are referring to. Is that the belief that the Tories have been a weak government? That’s not a belief that is factual.

grannyrebel7 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:39:24

I know many previous life long Labour supporters who intend voting for this buffoon merely because they don't like Jeremy. I just can't understand their stupidity. He has lied consistently.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:03:11

Marr

It’s all Labour’s fault” says man whose party slashed police numbers, devastated the prison and probation service through cuts, and said there was no money for deradicalising terrorists.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:04:12

Realise this

Boris Johnson trying to confuse automatic early release (Labour, 2008) with the end of indeterminate sentences (Con, 2012)

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:05:03

Jess Phillips Esq.,
@jessphillips

Boris Johnson passed his queen's speech (he just openly lied on #marr) he could have got on with governing and doing all these things he claims to care about but the reality is he cared about his position as PM more than he cared about our safety & welfare. THIS IS A GAME TO HIM

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:06:27

Nicola Sturgeon
@NicolaSturgeon

How anyone watching this interview can conclude that Johnson has the seriousness, dignity, judgment or sensitivity to be Prime Minister is beyond me. #Marr

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:10:50

Boris Johnson just produced his most brazen lie yet - inventing the claim that Corbyn supposedly wants to scrap MI5.

Completely untrue. He’s never said any such thing.

Dinahmo Sun 01-Dec-19 10:16:34

BJ's been blaming everybody apart from the Tories. AM said several times that the Tories have been in power for 10 years and have done nothing but BJ just talked over him. Instead he kept repeating that he'd only been PM for 120 days and repeatedly attacking the LP.

IMO AM is far too gentlemanly to deal with BJ, who of course didn't want the battering he'd get from A Neil.

jura2 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:23:33

Am away from home and can't watch The Marr show ... sad