Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is it now impossible for Toxic Corbyn to win a GE?

(148 Posts)
newnanny Sun 20-Oct-19 13:00:55

Corbyn seems hell bent on annoying the voters. Now he has said he wants to nationalise Liverpool Football Club. Where does he get he bonkers ideas from? How would this benefit our UK? So on top of alienating people who want to leave their money to their offspring, btl landlords, shareholders of Royal Mail and Utility companies, people with gardens, people who earn over £40k per annum and leave voters now he turns on football fans. He wants to target Manchester clubs too. Where are the Labour moderates?

He is very low on popularity in polls and now seems determined to nosedive further.

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1192676/jeremy-corbyn-news-labour-party-general-election-nationalisation-football-clubs-liverpool

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1193047/Labour-party-latest-jeremy-cornyn-general-election-brexit

Fennel Sun 20-Oct-19 16:55:21

Grany - my attitude too.
Plus - I think Corbyn has been unfairly treated by the press. The good things he's done have been ignored, and possibly negative or neutral things emphasised.
Published photos carefully chosen to support the negatives.
We all rely on the media, and it's all biased.

notanan2 Sun 20-Oct-19 17:07:47

As far as those who use the excuse "it's all Corbyn's fault" for the reason they won't vote Labour but will support the appalling policies of this right wing government I suggest you step up and take responsibility instead of playing the blame game.

hmm right! Cause all Corbyn critics MUST be Tory supporters!

As for student debt. The current fees system was drawn up under labour and completed when Torys took over with very very little changed from the original plans drawn up under labour.

Anniebach Sun 20-Oct-19 17:18:56

Nothing wrong with music lessons, he also said free musical instruments. How many music teachers needed for every school and how many children of school age for free musical instruments?

ayse Sun 20-Oct-19 17:32:31

AnnieB, LA schools used to use peripatetic music teachers and musical instruments were provided free for at least a term. If the child wished to continue, LAs provided a scheme whereby instruments could be purchased via weekly/monthly payments. All my daughters benefitted from this arrangement.

It also meant that children who wanted to learn had the opportunity to try something out and if it didn’t go well nobody lost out as the instrument could be passed on.

If it was done in the past, I see no reason why it should not be done again

trisher Sun 20-Oct-19 17:34:55

notanan2 the Liberals supported austerity as well so if you voted or vote for either you supported those policies.
Did I say who was responsible? I simply said it was unworkable and hasn't done what was forecast

trisher Sun 20-Oct-19 17:37:24

ayse thanks for posting that. I do think it is sad that many don't realise how much better things once were and how their GCs are so much worse off than their children.

Ilovecheese Sun 20-Oct-19 17:37:43

ayse That sounds a very good system. The arts should be encouraged in schools.

MaizieD Sun 20-Oct-19 17:41:59

The place I volunteer at houses the local school music service. We store hundreds of musical instruments not being lent to children because the peripatetic music teaching has been severely cut back.

What a waste...

Anniebach Sun 20-Oct-19 17:45:36

I had to buy a cello and a flute for my daughters, then I had to buy a guitar for my younger granddaughter and a trumpet for my grandson .

trisher Sun 20-Oct-19 19:03:28

At least you could afford to Annie many would have to choose between food and music. If you realise the value of teaching music why on earth would you oppose this?

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 19:29:14

trisher I don’t agree with your statement that Corbyn would be deserving of the top job because he has never sought power.
Perhaps he understood his own limitations ( or those around him did!) Either way,he has never risen in the ranks for good reasons.He was only added to the names for balance, nobody thought he would ever be voted for in any numbers forLOTO, but they underestimated the amount of far left members who had burst onto the scene.
Hopefully he will resign when he loses the next GE.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:29:38

Still have free music lessons at primary schools in our area, Conservative Council.

Anniebach Sun 20-Oct-19 19:43:51

trisher to pay for my daughters instruments I took an evening job steaming fleas off animal skins, it was well,paid because it was a revolting job, my girls were worth it .

It was humiliating but i would do it again for my girls .

So no, I didn’t have to choose between food and music, I chose between steaming off fleas or no music and my girls had food and music.

trisher Sun 20-Oct-19 20:03:22

But there are so few jobs that actually pay people enough. to live on anyway Annie. I suppose if youthink people struggling is somehow chracter forming that is one reason for treating them badly but I really can't see why youwould deny anyone this.
GG13 that's because under this Tory government Conservative areas have benefitted whilst Labour councils and particularly those in poorer areas have been savagely cut
lemongrove so you would rather have someone like Blair, Cameron, or Johnson? People who have sought power simply to advance themselves people without principle or altruism. Well I suppose some never learn.

Ilovecheese Sun 20-Oct-19 20:09:43

So people who can't afford musical instruments are just not working hard enough?

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 20:10:41

Always nice to have principles and altruism ( not sure how many past PM’s are loaded with them though) but the main
Responsibility of a PM is to lead his own Party, lead the Cabinet and lead the Country ( especially important in times of national security) and to look after the interests of the UK in all areas.
A weak and dithering man like Jeremy Corbyn could never do that job well.

Anniebach Sun 20-Oct-19 20:13:49

trisher you know zilch so don’t suppose anything about me,

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 20:14:20

Corbyn is brilliant.
He has been patient, kind, resilient and is incredibly talented and resourceful.

Hey Lemongrove,
Who are you to say what 'most posters on Gransnet think?
Do you represent everybody. I don't think so.

And even if you conservative minded grans are 'dead in the water' or indeed in the same self-declared ditch as Boris Johnson (currently searching for one)

Those of us who are younger, and have kids who are younger, are certainly not going to get in the ditch with you..

Painting

Eloethan Sun 20-Oct-19 20:16:47

Well, if he's so "toxic" and an irrelevance in terms of party politics, I don't know why a whole thread has been devoted to him.

As I've said before, if Corbyn was no longer the leader of the party but was replaced by someone with very similar views and policy proposals, he or she would be equally vilified. It is what his values and policies are that has caused him to become the bogey man of the mainstream media - most of which is owned by extremely rich, right wing men.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 20:25:44

Bully for you painting ( what’s wrong with Mumsnet btw, won’t they let you play with them?)

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Oct-19 20:28:02

Anyone who owns their own home, has a few pounds in the bank and a private person would be mad to endorse JC!

trisher Sun 20-Oct-19 21:16:20

Why do you say that GG13 what evidence can you produce for such a silly statement? Corbyn owns his own home, so do most MPs. Try at least to present some sort of reasonable argument.
lemon you mistake reasonable, approachable and democratic for weak and dithering. Although I do wonder how someone who is w&d is going to usher in the great revolution some on GN go on about. If it wasn't that we face such huge social problems and so many are suffering it would be hilarious.

MaizieD Sun 20-Oct-19 21:17:07

Hey Lemongrove,
Who are you to say what 'most posters on Gransnet think?
Do you represent everybody. I don't think so

Actually, lemon is probably fairly correct as the 'elderly' have the highest percentage of tory voters. And most of us qualify for the 'elderly' label.

But of course she doesn't represent everybody.

Gnetters do love a Corbyn bashing thread, though...

MaizieD Sun 20-Oct-19 21:18:50

Some of them like a bit of snide, too.

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 21:38:20

Speak for yourself MaizieD ( in every respect.)

Corbyn bashing is too easy though, he’s the gift that keeps on giving.Every week he comes out with something crazy.
There’s no way (now) that he will be PM.
A few years ago he was popular, it’s entirely his own fault that sensible Labour voters now see him as toxic.