Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who is running this country?

(134 Posts)
MawB Thu 24-Oct-19 07:42:41

If I can remember that far back, I seem to remember one of the objections to being in the EU was of being governed by the unelected bureaucrats of Brussels, or some such phrase.
How do we feel about the “unelected” of the U.K?
I do wonder who is in charge when I read things like this in this morning’s paper
Reports of Dominic Cummings angrily banging his fist on a table during a meeting between the Prime Minister and Jeremy Corbyn surfaced soon after the pair met yesterday in an attempt to reach a compromise over the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (WAB)
It was alleged that when Mr Johnson asked the Opposition leader how long it would take to agree a new timetable – after the programme motion calling for his Brexit deal to be passed in three days was voted down on Tuesday night – an irate Cummings interjected: “No!”

I believe it was Margaret Thatcher who said “Advisers advise, ministers decide” - presumable including Prime Ministers hmm

Elegran Sat 26-Oct-19 10:50:46

Jane Perhaps *maryhoffman" has read this article www.itv.com/news/2019-08-09/the-truth-about-dominic-cummings-writes-robert-peston/

maddyone Sat 26-Oct-19 10:53:59

The problem is that Bercow is simply not impartial. He has publicly stated that he is a remainer. Sir Edward Leigh said of Bercow, ‘.....he is perceived by large parts of the nation not to be impartial. And.........it was a mistake to overturn precedent and Standing Order 24 and allow Parliament.........to take over the Government. It upsets the whole governance of the nation, it’s basically made us ungovernable.’

Shailesh Vara said, ‘.........the Speaker Bercow has at times behaved like a verbal playground bully in the way that he treats his colleagues...........and has tarnished the role of Speaker with his biasedness.....he insults them, he demeans them........he loses all authority to lecture MPs as to how they should behave when his own behaviour is in this is in question.........the way he behaved was undignified.’

janeainsworth Sat 26-Oct-19 10:56:03

Ah thank you Elegran.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:56:52

That’s because they are annoyed at being made to toe the line and not flout the rules.

I think he is brilliant

maddyone Sat 26-Oct-19 11:05:52

I know you do Whitewave and I’ve absolutely no problem with you having your own opinion. Obviously you will realise that I don’t think he’s a good Speaker, primarily because he’s not impartial at this point in time, but I didn’t like him before any of this because I think he’s always been an exceptionally arrogant Speaker. And also the stories (if true, though it was widely reported) about his extremely expensive tastes when he was having his (owned by Government) apartment refitted when he first moved in. None the less I will concede that all MPs seem to suddenly become very profligate in their tastes when we, the public, are paying.

Ginny42 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:09:49

I set out to find the answer to your question Jane as I'd read somewhere that he is to have surgery which he postponed. Could it be that they wanted it all done before he left?

However I found an article in the New Statesman which answers the OP's question 'Who is running the country?' It's a long but enlightening read and it highlights his links with different politicians including some Ministers and also insight into Cumming's family links.

www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/dominic-cummings-machiavel-downing-street

It seems to me that Cummings is running the country.

janeainsworth Sat 26-Oct-19 16:50:59

Thank you Ginny. A long read but I think Olive got the picture!!

janeainsworth Sat 26-Oct-19 16:51:19

I’ve