Gransnet forums

News & politics

If we had a an Election before we have a Withdrawal Agreement ...

(65 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:26:13

How would you vote or, not knowing at this point what the two main parties will offer, what would affect how you vote? Does the Withdrawal Agreement matter most or is the Political Declaration your important bit, or how the country will be run for the next five years?

HootyMcOwlface Sun 27-Oct-19 14:57:21

I’m in a Tory stronghold, no hope of anyone else getting in they always romp it. However I always vote even though it’s ‘wasted’ really, in hope I suppose! It’s your duty to vote, people died so you could do it, so I do. I don’t think a GE is the way to go, I want another EU one.

Nonnie Sun 27-Oct-19 16:12:11

DH, DS & DiL will all vote against our MP who previously we would have voted for. We hope we are not alone

GracesGranMK3 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:20:08

It sounds as if the LDs have given up on another referendum. I agree we should have confirmed what we wanted first now we have a possible Withdrawal Agreement but it sounds as if party is still coming before country.

Amagran Sun 27-Oct-19 16:27:31

My concerns are not just about Brexit issues or wider policies, but about the lack of competence and integrity at the top of the current government.

We have a party, a government and a PM who seem to have a reverse Midas touch - everything they touch turns into a disaster or worse still, fools' gold.

I will vote to try to unseat our well-entrenched Tory MP. A Labour vote will not achieve that, but a Lib Dem vote just might.

westendgirl Sun 27-Oct-19 17:02:35

Unfortunately our MP who has been a superb constituency MP is going to retire at the next election, so not yet sure, but it wont be for the ~Tory party who got us into this dreadful mess.

Fiachna50 Sun 27-Oct-19 18:54:14

Graces gran, haven't a clue, think it would be a spoilt ballot paper. I don't believe any party is worth a s***. All self serving and all have their own agendas. Jeremy Corbyn has sat on the fence that long his b** must be sore. Boris Johnson - don't trust. Nicola Indyref2 Sturgeon obsessed with her one goal while Scotland falls apart. Jo Swinson- nah. I won't be voting for anyone, but will do a protest vote methinks. They are all as useless as each other.

Iam64 Sun 27-Oct-19 19:01:39

I’d prefer a referendum before an election. I understand many just want to get on with it but I believe as we are three years on and remain divided, a referendum is needed.

I’ll vote for our hard working sitting labour MP. They aren’t a Corbynister, more a trad Labour representative who grew up and brought their own family up, using local schools, doctors and hospitals, standing with us on public services. If we had a momentum type I’m afraid I’d vote either green or libdem, which here wouldn’t achieve anything but let the Tories in

Barmeyoldbat Sun 27-Oct-19 20:04:42

I have heard the Jacob RM is unpopular and many will not be voting for him. So it could be the end for him.Yes Connie my MP is Liam Fox with a pretty healthy majority but the feeling is could well lose this majority, might get in again but with a much smaller majority. Hoping he doesn't get in especially as this area voted remain. Turncoat

Calendargirl Sun 27-Oct-19 20:11:59

Barmeyoldbat

What about areas who voted overwhelmingly for Leave and their MP’s have not supported them? I would class them as Turncoats also.

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 20:17:19

Then it’s up to them to decide if they want to vote these MPs back in, now they know a little more about what Brexit actually means for the UK.

varian Sun 27-Oct-19 20:19:37

It is the first duty of an MP never to support any measure which would harm their constituents and the country

MPs are not just puppets who are operated by constituents.

Iam64 Sun 27-Oct-19 20:20:04

I expect my MP to do what s/he believes to be in the best interests of their constituents and the country.
If we had a referendum on capital punishment , some of my neighbours would vote in favour. I hope my MP would be better informed, more compassionate and be a ‘turncoat’

Calendargirl Sun 27-Oct-19 20:26:39

No, they are not puppets, but it’s the constituents who vote them in.

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 20:28:14

They do - but the hanging analogy is a good one.

GillT57 Sun 27-Oct-19 20:40:02

Absolutely want a second vote before a GE, we need to know just what the parties stand for in terms of Brexit, and having put that to bed finally, one way or the other, we then need a GE to get on with running the country. My vote here would never unseat the ERG member who has sat here for years, is a very poor local MP, the best my vote would do is reduce his massive majority. We have here, a very good Borough Councillor, great at keeping everyone up to date with local news etc., a young lad starting at the bottom of the greasy pole of Tory politics. Despite his record on local matters, I was unable to vote for him, for by doing so I would be endorsing the policies of the Tory government. Many others voted the same, and he held on to his seat, but only just. I suspect this is happening all over the country, despite all the nonsense coming out of No 10 about the country just 'wanting Brexit done'.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 20:53:08

A second referendum will never happen. Get over it.

SirChenjin Sun 27-Oct-19 21:01:47

The Scottish referendum was a once in a lifetime event too - and look what’s happening here.

Never say never Urm - these things have a habit of biting you on the bum. Might not happen any time soon, but who’s to say what will happen in a few years once the younger generation is in power.

Fiachna50 Mon 28-Oct-19 02:37:06

Nicola won't rest (and won't give it a rest) till she gets her second referendum. Doesn't seem to matter that the country is going to the dogs. Another one that cannot accept what people voted for and has the cheek to preach to us about democracy. Seems very quiet about Catalonia's Independence bid, of course we know why that is.........

growstuff Mon 28-Oct-19 04:13:00

The votes in the referendum were never counted at constituency level.

Ginny42 Mon 28-Oct-19 06:28:20

I will vote for young people to be able to travel, study and possibly live and work in Europe should they wish.

Most of all, as I watched 'World On Fire' on BBC 2 last night, I was overwhelmed by the feeling that I never, never want my GS of anyone else's children and grandchildren to live through anything like that again. If we can sit round a table and talk about differences with our closest neighbours, hopefully this could not be repeated.

On another note, Russian aircraft are frequently intercepted over British airspace. (Google it) So when we stand alone, without recourse to support from our European neighbours, we may regret these decisions. Putin has much to gain from Europe being disbanded.

I have never waivered from wanting to remain in the EU and shall vote for the party most likely to allow that.

Davidhs Mon 28-Oct-19 07:32:20

I don’t think there will be an election anytime soon, nor should there be, Get Brexit settled and out of the way.
There is no chance my vote makes any difference it’s a strong Tory area

Pantglas2 Mon 28-Oct-19 07:38:00

How do Russian aircraft get to fly in British airspace without first flying over other European countries first?

Yehbutnobut Mon 28-Oct-19 07:53:16

Are you on a different thread Pantglas?

Yehbutnobut Mon 28-Oct-19 07:53:46

Or planet?

Pantglas2 Mon 28-Oct-19 07:56:28

Yehbutnobut - Ginny42 third paragraph refers.....