Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should certain dates be unacceptable for a General Election?

(33 Posts)
trisher Tue 29-Oct-19 10:07:08

Boris has twice tried to choose dates for a GE when students will be on holiday or on their way home. Effectively he would disenfranchise many of them. It's understandable because young people tend to be more left wing. So should we have some dates that are ruled unsuitable for a GE or is it OK to deny some young people the vote?

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Oct-19 16:21:08

Also as I understand it (a niece at Bristol uni) term finishes on Friday 13 (an omen?) surely if students are registered in uni city they can vote that week before returning home or failing that get a postal vote.

After all the hoo-ha about missing out on the referendum vote because they were all at music festivals, surely they had the nous to register for postal voting? If not, they actually don’t deserve a vote, IMO.

westendgirl Tue 29-Oct-19 16:26:38

Yes most definitely the 7th, 8th and 9th December (in fact all that week. ~Those are the dates in of our annual panto held in the Church Hall, which is usually used for elections.Oh yes it is !!!

Calendargirl Tue 29-Oct-19 17:55:16

westendgirl

The election could be held in a different venue. They’re talking about other suitable places, or in smaller villages, joining two together.

maddyone Tue 29-Oct-19 18:35:45

No one should be denied a vote. I don’t care when the election is to be honest. Students can vote in either of their places of abode. If they’re too lazy to bother, they can get a postal vote. If they can’t be bothered to do that either, then they aren’t bothered about voting. I don’t buy the arguments about older people either, they can go out in the daylight to vote. Or get a postal vote.

winterwhite Tue 29-Oct-19 18:46:59

Altering polling stations would be counter-productive. However well publicised, mpteen voters will turn up at the familiar place and then not bother to trudge off somewhere else. Just think of the numbers who after weeks of leaflets and
door knocks say 'Oh, I didn't realise it was Today'.

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 20:09:16

It looks as if it will be 12th December

anniezzz09 Wed 30-Oct-19 04:37:12

I seem to remember that there was quite a hiatus after the 2016 about the failure of postal votes to arrive on time. My daughter and a number of her friends registered but never received their voting forms. The postal service in our area, the south west, is worse than I ever remember - post arrives late or never and items are damaged. A postal voting option requires a sound postal system.