Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remainers must vote tactically

(214 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Oct-19 08:13:32

Just that really.

Gina Miller will be advising the best way and who to vote for.

I’ll post it as it comes into notice.

varian Wed 13-Nov-19 10:13:25

Former Tory minister David Gauke is standing as an independent but says Remainers in most seats should vote LibDem

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Nov-19 12:32:22

432,189 Reasons to Vote Tactically
@MrHickmott
·
2h
The Germans are cock-a-hoop about the 10,000 jobs Tesla is creating near Berlin because Brexit made it too risky to build a factory in the UK.

Grany Wed 13-Nov-19 12:58:26

Lib Dem rift as local members refuse to help replace candidate who stood down to stop a Tory

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson was facing a swingeing attack today – from her own party, as she moved to replace an election candidate who has withdrawn in order to allow a ‘Remain’-supporting Labour representative a stronger chance to beat a Brexiteer Tory.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Nov-19 15:39:04

Research has found that 30% of remainers would need to vote tactically in order to form a Remain coalition. That feels like an uphill battle!

The Commons has no seats for plucky second-placed candidates with their numbers swelled by tactical voting.

With 63% of constituencies voting leave in 2016, our winner-takes-all system may this time return a Brexit Parliament!

varian Wed 13-Nov-19 18:29:02

The Labour Party is not a Remain Party although the vast majority of its former MPs, candidates, members and voters want the UK to remain in the EU, unfortunately Mr Corbyn and those closest to him are Leavers.

It is very hard for Remain voters (who are, after all the majority of voters) to decide whether or not to support a Labour candidate.

Even if the candidate supports our remaining in the EU, the LP leadership seems to want to negotiate a Labour Brexit.

If you vote Liberal Democrat you will vote for Remaining in the EU.

Your vote cannot be misinterpreted.

Grany Wed 13-Nov-19 19:35:51

Jeremy Corbyn campaigned vigorously for remain. It's not all about Brexit. People need the transformative polices Labour are putting forward in their fantastic manifesto. And I for one would love to see a Labour government for the many.

growstuff Wed 13-Nov-19 20:09:48

Where did you read that about the Canterbury LibDem Grany? It's not what LibDem insiders are saying.

growstuff Wed 13-Nov-19 20:12:07

Exactly Urmstongram. Our FPTP system means that a general election cannot give any government a genuine mandate for Brexit. There needs to be a second referendum.

MaizieD Wed 13-Nov-19 22:13:19

What are the Lid Dem insiders saying, growstuff? It was all over twitter yesterday.

twitter.com/search?q=canterbury%20lib%20dem&src=typed_query

MaizieD Wed 13-Nov-19 22:13:47

Lib Dem

growstuff Wed 13-Nov-19 23:25:33

See what they do tomorrow, which is the deadline for candidates.

Cindersdad Thu 14-Nov-19 06:59:20

I fully empathize with those of you who resent being advised to vote tactically but in this election to me it is important to do whatever we can to stop "Brexit". My natural inclination is to vote LibDem though where I live Labour has best chance of winning and probably will win whichever way I choose to vote. Tactical voting goes against democracy but with our electoral system (FPTP) we have to look to the future and in many cases vote against the party we don't want as opposed to for the party we believe in.

I dislike both Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn but see Brexit as the most awful mistake in current politics. So as a LibDem this time I may vote Labour as the best hope of denying the Brexiteers unfettered progress to national economic suicide.

varian Thu 14-Nov-19 17:41:17

In the Tory heartlands of the commuter belt, remainers may revolt

While the Tories have been transforming themselves into the nationalist, Pooterish party of hard Brexit, essentially cosmopolitan attitudes – open, internationalist – have been seeping into the formerly Conservative areas of our cities, and the suburbs and towns around them.

Some of this was evident in 2017, in the seats lost by the Tories to both Labour and the Liberal Democrats: Bath, Kingston and Surbiton, Battersea, Enfield Southgate. The same story is reflected in the weakening Conservative presence around Manchester and Bristol – and Lib Dem targets such as St Albans in Hertfordshire. But perhaps the most interesting story lies in Surrey, that traditional signifier of true-blue Tory England.

Until recently, the county had 11 Tory MPs. But by the time the election was called, the Conservatives had expelled Anne Milton, Philip Hammond and Sam Gyimah (now a Lib Dem). In local elections this May, the Tories lost 117 council seats in Surrey and control of four local authorities. Among Surrey’s eight remaining Tory MPs are such Brexiters as Dominic Raab, Michael Gove and Kwasi Kwarteng. But in the borough of Guildford, remain got 56.2% in the 2016 referendum; in Woking, 56.2%; in Elmbridge, which includes Raab’s seat of Esher and Walton, nearly 60%.

I went to Guildford last week. Of late, it may have seemed rock-solid Tory. But way back in 2001, the Lib Dems took it with a majority of 538 – which, combined with an uptick in 2017 and recent gains in local elections, seems to have convinced them they can win again. Two years ago, Labour got close to a not-unreasonable 20% of the vote. Obviously, the Conservatives are still a force to be reckoned with. But now that Milton has been thrown out of the Conservatives and is running a campaign so far based on “a smartphone and a laptop”, there is a clear sense of no one having a clue what will happen: it’s the election in microcosm.

Read more
When I talked to people in the centre of town and observed some Lib Dem canvassing in the upscale neighbourhood of Onslow, one thing was striking: as well as a smattering of staunch and sometimes angry Brexit supporters, there were many people who said that post-2016 Conservatism had left them feeling abandoned. “Labour and the Tories are too extreme,” said one man, who up to now had been a loyal Conservative. “I want a centrist party.” These days, “centrist” is usually thrown around as an insult; he said it with a sense of pained loss. A little earlier, I had met a churchgoing couple in their 60s – he a geologist, she a self-described housewife – who had often voted Conservative down the years, but were also switching. “It feels like we have to vote on Brexit, and we’re remainers,” they said.

John Harris writing in the Guardian

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/10/surrey-commuters-marginal-voters-election-tories-guildford