Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unless the Conservatives make a pact with the Brexit party ....

(30 Posts)
Poppyred Mon 04-Nov-19 12:33:13

There will be no chance of us getting out of the E.U.... and Labour or Libs Dems will rule this country..... how very depressing and soul destroying. We can all say goodbye to this beautiful country as we know it....

suzied Mon 04-Nov-19 12:42:34

sounds good to me

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 12:49:03

Labour would form a government with the SNP ( just as bad if not worse!)
However, the Conservatives can’t really do a deal with the BP, I think they will do better on their own.
If Leave Labour voters vote for the BP then all well and good, it will split the Labour vote.
Conservative Remain voters will either vote for their party or LibDem and Conservative Leave voters will hopefully still vote for their own party.Remain Labour supporters will vote for their own party or the LibDems.
Impossible to call, isn’t it?

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 12:50:47

Whatever happens, we need a GE we cannot go on this way.

JenniferEccles Mon 04-Nov-19 13:01:01

I do share your concern Poppyred I really do, but we should be reassured that the Conservatives are way ahead of Labour and certainly the Lib Dems in recent opinion polls. Part of me though wishes Boris would do a deal with Farage, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Yes of course polls can be wrong and we still have a few weeks to go, but honestly, can you imagine anyone in their right mind voting for Corbyn's Marxist regime ?

Just a quick look at their proposals tells us everything we need to know about what terrible damage they would inflict on this country if, perish the thought, they were to get into no.10

Obviously some will vote Labour (and Heaven knows there are some on GN who seem to start a dozen threads a day extolling Labour's 'virtues') but I honestly think the majority of voters are sensible enough to realise just what is at stake here.

FlexibleFriend Mon 04-Nov-19 13:02:45

Of course a General election may not change a thing and we'll be left with the same old same old. What then?

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 13:06:51

You might well ask.?

winterwhite Mon 04-Nov-19 13:11:31

There is much at stake, too, under another tory government for the 'just about managing', indeed for the 'many' rather than the 'few'.
I just can't work out the pros and cons for anybody of a tory/brexit deal. But I think that fed-up voters who at the moment unthinkingly lap up what Boris Johnson says are just as likely to lap up what Nigel Farage says. Why wouldn't they.

Lollypolly Mon 04-Nov-19 13:13:16

suzied I am with you.

Also not sure how Lemongrove can criticise the SNP as worse than Labour.
If Brexit is good enough for England & Wales who voted for it then surely independence is good enough for the Scots if that is what they choose. I would be happy support a referendum for the Scots. Its democratic, it's their country and lets face it we don't 'own' them.

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 13:16:27

Why are fed up voters going to ‘unthinkingly’ lap up anything?
Ah, you mean Leave fed up voters, because of course, no Remain fed up voters do anything unthinkingly, do they?!
I wouldn’t lap up anything Farage said,or vote for the BP but I would vote for the Conservatives.

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 13:21:01

I didn’t say that Lolly I said it would be worse for Labour to be allied to the SNP ( than the Lib Dems.)
The SNP care nothing at all for the rest of the UK.

grapefruitpip Mon 04-Nov-19 13:21:04

Please give us more information on saying Goodbye to this beautiful country?

Do you mean it will be over run by immigrants?

Calendargirl Mon 04-Nov-19 13:22:41

If the Conservatives scraped in with a tiny majority, I wonder if Boris would do a deal with Nigel, to get a working majority if the Brexit Party had enough MP’s. Surely Nigel would agree and not pursue yet another deal?

Grandad1943 Mon 04-Nov-19 13:32:33

Well, Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party have received a large bounce in several of the opinion polls over the weekend. One poll put them only four points behind the Tories, and one newspaper is being accused of not publishing a poll as it was so bad for the Conservatives.

So, it could be a shock win for Corbyn and Labour, or I feel we will see another hung parliament on the 13th of December.

However, there is a long way to go in this election campaign, but it is shaping up much as it did in 2017 so far.

jura2 Mon 04-Nov-19 13:35:09

best news in a very long time - well, the first bit.

What will make us say good bye to this wonderful country as we know it, is intolerance and the rise of the far right.

A vote on the current Deal or none would have been a much much better way forwards- it could have coincided with a GE- or a GE followed soon after.

varian Mon 04-Nov-19 13:36:59

Johnson and Farage both say they will not do a deal with each other, but do either of them ever tell the truth?

jura2 Mon 04-Nov-19 13:37:14

Back to First Past the Post perhaps.

Prof John Curtice said today that this election is the most unpredictable for a very long time and perhaps ever.

The fact Conservatives are in the lead is actually not the result of having won votes from Labour- but that the Cons have squeezed the Brexit Party vote amon leavers. It will be very difficult for either Labour or Cons to get a majority- and we will probably end up with more seats than ever from neither of the above. Whether it will be more Lib Dem or Brexit is impossible to assess at this time.

grapefruitpip Mon 04-Nov-19 14:46:46

Also jura we wave goodbye to a United Kingdom, potentially.

Nonnie Mon 04-Nov-19 15:27:14

Being old and cynical I think there may be an unofficial 'arrangement' rather than a pact. Today one candidate has pulled out and said he will support his local Tory. Watch and wait........

Oopsminty Mon 04-Nov-19 15:30:53

The Conservatives won't hook up with Brexit. Nonnie may have a point with the unofficial 'arrangement'

The whole thing is an utter mess. All parties are promising things they'll never be able to provide.

Shambolic mess which will end up with some hung parliament who will never agree and it will be nightmarish.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:02:23

Should have had a referendum

jannxxx Mon 04-Nov-19 16:08:03

Boris wont merge with Nigel so were doomed,

anniezzz09 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:19:00

Whitewave yes! grin

Poppyred Mon 04-Nov-19 16:42:57

Is that what you think will happen grapefruitpip if Labour or Lib Dem’s get in? I was thinking more of losing Scotland which would be a great shame in my opinion.

jura2 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:54:06

If there is a second Referendum - and we decide to remain- as seems to be clearly the case now- then we will probably be able to remain a Union. If Boris gets in and we end up with cr** deal or No Deal- the Union will be lost.