Gransnet forums

News & politics

Looking back over the last decade, were many mistakes made by our politicians?

(30 Posts)
MarthaBeck Sat 16-Nov-19 12:57:11

In my view this is a question we need to consider and learn from for the future,

When the GE is over & historians write up all the facts about the last decade and also Brexit the damage will have already been done. Personally, I believe it will portray real horror stories of incompetence, errors & appalling deception. Rather, far too late then to stop UK being duped by extremists.

Looking back it’s easy to highlight the huge mistakes made by politicians during the last decade. Particularly, under funding of inflation for the NHS & Care services. Allowing homelessness, Child and OP poverty to get out of hand. I appreciate the need for some austerity measures. Though lack of urgency and getting priorities right such as tackling the acute depression in the North,Midland and other regions caused unnecessary hardship & poverty issues.

How, over that period we have allowed homelessness, the need for food banks and other social problems such as child care to escalate is appalling.

Far greater effort should have been made to stop Boardroom greed by taxing excess bonuses. Ensuring that overseas companies paid same taxes as UK businesses, stopped off shore tax havens. A complete review of our taxation was needed to ensure adequate funding, along with limiting the flow of funding for less essential such as Brexit.

The extra monies coming from those taxes and savings could and should have been used to tackle some of the real social needs, more for Care Services & inflation levels of funding for the NHS. It would have saved LA’s many headaches & also kept many who were in Care out of hospital, saving NHS more money. Though I doubt politicians will agree. Brexit unfortunately got in the way preventing many Minister from focusing effectively on our domestic infrastructure, their priorities were not properly focused.

That resulted in far too many urgent decisions being delayed, as we saw last week over the flooding. Unfortunately, the errors of the last decade do not make good reading. It will be interesting to see how the politicians hid their incredible ineptitude’s from the electorate in the coming weeks.

Could we have done better?

Urmstongran Sat 16-Nov-19 13:52:13

In my opinion austerity measures were the biggest mistake, implemented in 2010. Totally unnecessary with far reaching consequences.

MarthaBeck Sat 16-Nov-19 14:58:05

Urmstongran, do you come from Urmston near Manchester?

My sister qualified as a SRN at Davyhulme Hospital where Nye Bevan launched the founding of the NHS . She still talks about it.

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 17:37:14

Very many mistakes were made, but by far the worst was Cameron's decision to hold a referendum in 2016, asking uniformed voters for a simple yes/no answer to an extremely complicated question on a matter which hardly anyone properly understood and, in spite of being aware of the leave bias in the media, failing to protect the status quo with a super-majority requirement as is always used to change a constitution.

NannyJan53 Sat 16-Nov-19 17:44:28

Well said varian absolutely spot on!

Davidhs Sat 16-Nov-19 19:21:35

The problem with politicians of all types is they think they are better than the previous ones, they only think short term and never learn from history. The same mistakes are made over and over again.
The worst in recent years was getting involved with the Arabs, the Gulf wars, Libya and Afghanistan have been a total failure. Yes, Saddam and Ghadafe were despots, but removing them caused far more deaths than leaving them alone ever would have.

grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 19:28:20

Cameron....aka I was born to lead....the arrogance of the man.

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 19:54:07

Did David Cameron have a choice re: Referendum?

People have been babbling on about leaving the Eu for decades

Milliband was slaughtered for not agreeing to one

Farage was nipping around

And Jo Swinson actually called for one a decade ago!

grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 20:22:38

...did he have a choice....er yes. The damage he and his entitled posh boys have done is immeasurable.

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 20:41:27

But the country wanted a Referendum. It wasn't plucked out of thin air.

There have always been eurosceptics and Farage honed in and the rest was history.

I remember Milliband being booed on QT for saying he didn't want a Referendum

grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 20:45:16

Nobody wanted a referendum.The old order was crumbling and took a punt.

Labaik Sat 16-Nov-19 22:06:07

I don't remember lots of people calling for a referendum. I can remember people moaning about foreigners for many years but they didn't seem to equate that with us being in the EU until the Mail/Sun etc started stoking the fire. I think the biggest mistake over the past few years has been due to Labour being a weak opposition; even parties in power prefer to have a worthy adversary because they know it's better for the country.

MarthaBeck Sun 17-Nov-19 10:21:25

Brexit should NOT be our priority in this election it could take years to implement. Improving the lives of all, getting us out of the horrible damages austerity created.
I want us to get rid of Food banks, homelessness, child poverty, improve lives of older people, more resources for our NHS & Care services than give away political bribery, repairing the damage austerity has created. Brexit could take another 5 to 15 yrs to implement, instead of Gov and Ministers concentrating on improving our domestic needs and creating more jobs and our economy . Let’s get our priorities right,

varian Sun 17-Nov-19 10:42:21

To get our priorities right we must stop brexit - only then can we do all the good things we need to do.

Labaik Sun 17-Nov-19 11:51:43

I agree with varian; Brexit is the keystone in all this....

Urmstongran Sun 17-Nov-19 12:37:02

Yes, I live in Urmston MarthaBeck hiding in plain sight amongst 41,000 others!

I worked at the same hospital as your sister for more than 30 years until retirement!

oldgimmer1 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:01:03

I think Cameron calling for a referendum was a mistake, but I also think he had little option by the time it happened.

The Tories have been increasingly anti-Europe for decades.

Greta Sun 17-Nov-19 14:39:06

When Cameron called the referendum he should have made it perfectly clear that:

it was advisory only
it needed a considerable majority, not 52%

His promise that "we will implement the result" was nonsensical since the referendum was advisory.

MarthaBeck Mon 18-Nov-19 21:14:59

Urmston Gran. Lynn loved going to Urmston Bath after a hard day on the Wards. In the winter she went dancing at the Baths where she met her future husband. Once watched with her him playing football, I think was at a ground called Chasson Road or similar. Good memories.

MarthaBeck Mon 18-Nov-19 21:20:43

I would make a simple request to all the parties in this election, that they please tell the factual truth as to how long it will realistically take to fully implement a fully functional Brexit. Few voters realise it is likely to take up to 2025 & beyond according to the FT and Economists because of having to create new trade agreements outside the EU and adhere to international treaties.

MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 22:03:57

I think, MarthaBeck that if the government were to fake leaving the EU, big declarations, ceremonies etc. but not really do it, few of the Leavers would actually notice that we hadn't 'left'. and they would be perfectly happy.

Because they don't expect anything much to happen that's different from now and they are not in the least bit interested in the intricacies and minutiae of trade deals and what happens in the following years. They just want to be able to say that we've Left..

M0nica Mon 18-Nov-19 22:19:10

It was what happened in the decade before the last decade when worst mistake was made.

Warnings about the over issuing of credit, whether in the form of mortgages and loans or 'financial products' were in the financial papers from the early 2000s. Gordon Brown was Chancellor at the time and he and Tony Blair (and Mandleson) were completely comfortable with credit expanding out of control, 125% mortgages, interest free mortgages, the salaries of Directors going out through the roof.

The warnings were all there but the New Labour government chose to ignore them, they were too pally with those making and landing the money. Yes, other countries, well, the USA, was doing the same, but that didn't mean we had to.

But, yes, there would have been a financial hiccup in 2008, but if the then government had done something before then about the spiralling level of personal and corporate debt, it would not have hit us anything as like as badly as it did and the period of austerity would not have been as long or as deep.

The mistakes made since 2010, were, fristly, the slippy sloppy way the referendum was set up, Cameron took his eye off the ball, if he ever had his eye on it in the first place.

It is usual in most countries that when major constitutional changes are planned there must be 60% or two thirds vote in favour of the change. But Cameron just assumed he would win so didn't bother with particulars like that and is entirely responsible for everything that has followed. With the vote so close, the chaos that has followed is inevitable.
- and I cannot see what difference this election will make. A second referendum will have to be on the same terms as last time and whichever way a second referendum goes, the result will be as close as last time and the infighting will continue.

The second mistake since 2010 was made by those Labour party members who nominated Jeremy Corbyn for Prime Minister even thought they had no intention of voting for him, thought he would never get elected, but thought it would make the party look more democratic if they had a left winger on the list of candidates. Well, they will not do that again.

NotTooOld Mon 18-Nov-19 22:25:42

The banking crisis, Iraq, election of Corbyn as Labour leader, the referendum, unfortunately the list is endless.

MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 23:16:42

I suggest that you look at the global financial crisis from a slightly different angle, MOnica.

When the Governor of the Bank Of England is happy that all is well, who are politicians to gainsay him? Wasn't the financial sector held to be driving our economy and full of responsible and far seeing, highly paid senior executives who absolutely knew the job and could be utterly trusted with the economy? Because that is what we were fed, from Thatcher onwards...

The BoE's report in April 2007 wasn't warning of impending doom:

This is the first sentence of the report from April 2007: "The UK financial system remains highly resilient." Five months later came the run on Northern Rock. To be scrupulously fair, the same report noted the early rumbles in the US sub-prime mortgage market and pointed to the potential dangers of excess leverage and lax credit standards.

But it also said the operating environment for UK banks and global financial firms had been stable and predicted that "conditions are likely to remain favourable". The reports, then, were full of "on one hand, on the other hand" lines. Some parts read well today, but the overall tone was definitely not a declaration that banks should look to their core tier one capital ratios while they still had the chance.

There's more

www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2013/jun/29/mervyn-king-bank-of-england

As for the 'need' for austerity. Well, you know what I think of that... The same as the IMF

www.globaldashboard.org/2017/01/26/austerity-economics-just-smashed-imf/

Today the IMF will launch a new report, “Macro-Structural Policies and Income Inequality in Low-Income Developing Countries”, the latest in series that mark the intellectual journey the IMF research department has been travelling in recent years. Packed with detailed quantitative analysis it demonstrates that much of what elites have been advancing as unquestioned economics is demonstrably harmful both to economic growth and to public wellbeing.

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 10:50:38

None of this contradicts the fact that even a cursory perusal of the financial media shows that there was real worry about the situation in the wider community and that despite these warnings, no-one, neither politicians nor BofE, did anything about it.

Politicians may not have the same control of the BofE that they had but they do have fiscal and taxation tools in their hands that could and should have been used.

Under our current Governor of the BofE, Canada managed to avoid most of the problems of the crash. That is why he got the job.