Gransnet forums

News & politics

Waspi women

(304 Posts)
mcem Sun 24-Nov-19 08:43:12

Any thoughts on John McDonnell 's proposal to to compensate waspi women to the tune of £58 bn?

mosaicwarts Wed 27-Nov-19 15:46:29

My IFA advised I do this Doodledog - he said if I pay £100 in per month for the next four years, apparently when I get my pension at 66, I'll be £1000 pa better off and will regain the money I've paid in over the next four years. I can't face another budget upheaval to afford this, would rather save what I can each month instead, and have decided not to do it.

I also believe they will move the goalposts in the next four years.

Rubyroo Wed 27-Nov-19 16:14:17

I am a waspi woman and through ill health had to stop work at 58 but no state pension till 66... I think so unfair and I hope for the many women that Labour will come good on this

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Nov-19 17:04:44

For anyone who has given up work as I have before their new pension date to look after grandchildren while their parents work, there is a way of being credited with NI payments that go just towards your state pension. The idea is that the grandparent can claim the NI credits the child's parent would have been awarded if they'd not been working and paying NI.

There's a long online form to fill in and I find the factsheet very vague. For instance, there's no information about whether you have to look after a stated child every day, or for a minimum number of hours. I'm going to give it a go though. Fortunately I always keep a diary as I look after different grandchildren on different days, and you have to give details of when you looked after them and then get the parent to sign to confirm that you have done so. Here's the link, for anyone who may find it helpful.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-adults-who-care-for-a-child-under-12-fact-sheet/specified-adult-childcare-credits-fact-sheet