Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change how important is it for you in this election

(84 Posts)
Tooting29 Wed 27-Nov-19 06:55:16

There has been much in the media this week about climate change and the environment. Which party do you trust on this and how much will it influence your vote

MaizieD Mon 02-Dec-19 19:39:20

Having looked at LibDem, Labour & Green party manifestos I think your assertion that their policies are just about more wind farms is strange, MOnica

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 20:22:59

I go on their public announcements.

MaizieD Mon 02-Dec-19 21:23:28

Don't you even read your chosen party's manifesto?

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 22:15:21

Not this time. I am having one of my 'do I really want to vote for this party' moments and currently I am only likely to vote for them because everyone else is so much worse.

I have never before been so utterly disengaged from the political process. Before I have read the manifestos, especially the Lib Dems. I will fill in my postal vote tomorrow, leave the country at the weekend and not come back until it is over.

There isn't one political leader who is competent to organise a charity tea party. Both the main parties are led by men I find terminally untrustworthy and I am afraid the Lib Dem leader, is totally underwhelming. Compare with Nicola Sturgeon or even Arlene Foster, she is a makeweight.

Dyffryn Mon 02-Dec-19 22:28:05

Climate change is so important, for our Children’s and our Grandchildren’s future. It will influence my vote.

Hetty58 Mon 02-Dec-19 22:31:02

Which party do I trust? Hilarious! Which party do I hope might do something effective? The Green party, but they have no chance around here. It will, of course, be far too little, too late as we are living on a dying planet. My vote will certainly be anti-Tory though!

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 22:50:36

This election will be to get a government to sort out the next few years in the UK. Saving the planet will take longer and will need to be a worldwide thing. Both will be important to us now, and everyone in the future.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 22:52:28

We have to survive economically, and help out those less well off right now.

Both are important in different ways.

Callistemon Mon 02-Dec-19 23:27:34

It was certainly a point brought up at the hustings I went to this evening although there was not enough time for each candidate to speak in depth about anything.
They all had strong views on the way they would tackle it, some practical others less so.

Callistemon Mon 02-Dec-19 23:30:10

Our Lib Dem candidate was far more impressive than Jo Swinson, M0nica.
However, she will probably not get elected.

Yehbutnobut Mon 02-Dec-19 23:30:23

Let’s understand this. If something isn’t done our grandchildren will suffer. As David Attenborough clearly spelled out on TV last night we cannot reverse it but we might, only if coordinated action is taken now, slow down the process.

I’ve read the manifestos and definitely the Green Party’s is the best by far, but they don’t stand a chance. The SNP have a good grip but sadly I live in England. Boris couldn’t give a damn, Farage even worse. Oddly enough Michael Gove has a good grasp of the issues.

of Plaid Cymru have interesting policies should I live in Wales but I have to say I like Labour’s joined up thinking on the economy, farming, transport, house building etc and the way these are all linked to environmental protection and jobs.

rosecarmel Tue 03-Dec-19 01:48:24

Climate is second on the list- Health insurance is number 1- Today- Tomorrow the two may be reversed- I can't decide ..

Yehbutnobut Tue 03-Dec-19 11:31:32

rose that decision will depend on where you live. If you live on or near the coast, a river system, a flood plain, land that was previously reclaimed from the sea then climate change is your first priority. No question.

If you have invested in property in Buxton you are probably ok for now. If you live in the Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, the Grampians or similar you might want to invest in a boat in case you become an island! The latter is probably your safest option as all the (British) refugees from Southport, Brighton and other coastal resorts will be fleeing inland so you can just pull up anchor.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:36:07

Gonegirl, 'Saving the planet will take longer' - but we don't have any time left to slow down the destruction of the planet. Saving it is no longer an option!

Alexa Tue 03-Dec-19 11:37:35

I would vote for the Greens candidate if they had a chance.But they don't, Not in this constituency. As it is I will vote tactically to keep Tories out and because I positively like Margaret Becket.

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 11:47:01

Oh Hetty! I only meant we have to see this country through brexit first. I am well aware of climate change thank you. hmm

Yehbutnobut Tue 03-Dec-19 13:01:07

No, Brexit will take years unless we go for a Customs Union. It is possible to do two or more things at once.

Gonegirl Tue 03-Dec-19 13:08:20

Righto.

Callistemon Tue 03-Dec-19 14:23:57

Plaid Cymru have interesting policies should I live in Wales

They have twelve members in the Welsh Assembly

It is Labour who have a majority with 29
Conservatives 11
UKIP 7
And the Lib Dems just 1

They seemed to have trouble finding candidates for this GE too; they only have 11,500 members.

Jane43 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:25:32

It is very important to me but unfortunately we do not have a Green Party candidate to vote for.

M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 17:46:34

rosecarmel I understnd your priorities. We do, at least have the NHS, free at the point of use.

But after that climate change, climate change, climate change.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:08:52

We do, at least have the NHS, free at the point of use.

Not for long if we swap our trade deal with the EU for a trade deal with the US.

See my report of "Todays" fact check on www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1269944-Brexit-Tory-minister-admits-US-will-be-able-to-increase-price-of-drugs-bought-by-NHS at 09:45:48

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 18:32:11

Yet there are still folk like those interviewed on a recent tv vox pop saying "I voted leave because we shouldn't be giving all this money to the EU. We should spend it on the NHS"

The interviewer never ever points out that the huge weight of evidence from expert economists is that we would be much worse off and have much less money to spend on the NHS if brexit is not stopped.

We have been so badly let down by the media, not just the Tory Press, but by the TV companies, especially the BBC.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:21:47

Boris doesn't believe in climate change, does he?

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 09:44:54

Everyone believes in climate change now.