Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change how important is it for you in this election

(84 Posts)
Tooting29 Wed 27-Nov-19 06:55:16

There has been much in the media this week about climate change and the environment. Which party do you trust on this and how much will it influence your vote

Davidhs Mon 09-Dec-19 09:49:25

Climate change is very low on the agenda at this election and so it should be we can only fund better social assets and living conditions by the whole country working efficiently and creating wealth. To that end sorting out the Brexit mess is most important then we have cash to spend on renewable resources as well as all the social improvement everybody wants.

There is one issue that never gets addressed, Population growth, a larger global population demands ever higher resources. In any developing country when the demand for food is satisfied it is transport, a motorbike or a car is the next purchase. Without addressing population growth are we ever going to get emissions reduced?.

craftyone Mon 09-Dec-19 09:57:24

tell the earth about CO2 and other emissions. It has yet again thrown out masses of emissions in NZ, far more than produced by earth inhabitants. Earths climate has been changing since the earth was born but that fact has been jumped upon as a way to make money by various big businesses by preaching to the guillable. Having said that there is climate change and there is pollution of the seas, entirely man-made and a reason to worry

Ex geo-physicist btw also oceanography and now bowing out

Yehbutnobut Mon 09-Dec-19 13:05:06

That about volcanos is a famous climate myth not so craftyone Google it and next time check your facts.

M0nica Mon 09-Dec-19 15:58:19

The "immense" rise in sales of high-emission sports utility vehicles means they now outsell electric cars in the UK by 37 to one, research has found. As a result, overall exhaust emissions from new cars have been increasing, not declining, for the past three years, says the UK Energy Research Centre. SUV sales are jeopardising the UK transport sector's ability to meet EU emissions targets, it said.

And who are buying these SUVs, if not the oldest tranche of Millenials and the group before them? Yes, some older people, but not many.

varian Mon 09-Dec-19 16:25:03

Concern about climate change is another good reason not to vote Tory or Brexit.

LibDem, Green and Labour Parties all have far better climate change policies than the Tories and Farage's lot are climate change deniers..

The LibDems brought in good policies in coalition when Ed Davey was Energy Minister, many of which have been reversed by the Tories since 2015.

Davidhs Mon 09-Dec-19 18:46:04

I’ve just read the U.K. Energy Research Centre report on Transport, the comparisons they use are arguable , the vehicles they use are not representative. They have compared a Ford Kuga SUV with a VW Golf, it depends which model is chosen, the lower performance Kuga emits no more than a similar Golf.

The trend to more powerful engines and automatic transmissions is more significant than a hatchback compared to an SUV.

BEVs and improved Hybrids are becoming more available The Tesla Model 3 used in comparison is only just available and is only going to appeal to an owner with a driveway to park it and charge. I’m looking for a hybrid to replace my diesel but am struggling to find one at a sensible price, they seem to be the most expensive model in the range.

M0nica Mon 09-Dec-19 19:23:01

David, the energy required to build a car battery for an electric or hybrid is the equivalent of driving an ordinary petrol driven car 100,000 miles, not to mention the problems associated with recycling it when its life is up as it contains a range of heavy metals.

I will stick to my 16 year old Toyota Yaris, which I have owned for 11 years without problem and will happily run for another 11 years if it continues to run like it does currently. Overall a much more energy efficient way.

While electric cars have their uses in crowded and congested towns where the emissions the car causes are emittted elsewhere, outside that situation you are better running a reliable old petrol driven car. It is environmentally more efficient.

varian Tue 10-Dec-19 18:47:38

Conservatives and Brexit Party received donations worth £8m from aviation industry

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-brexit-party-labour-funding-donations-aviation-industry-millions-climate-change-a9237576.html