Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn to borrow £58 billion to repay WASPI woman.

(199 Posts)
newnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 12:24:55

He said after about 6 times of asking how it will be apid for that he will borrow more to do it.

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1209660/andrew-neil-jeremy-corbyn-interview-labour-party-tax-spending-policy-election-latest
even
This means the debt will be passed on to the next generation to pay for. That can't be fair for our children and grandchildren to have to compensate us when they will have to work until 70 or more before getting a pension. What do you think?

growstuff Thu 28-Nov-19 07:02:45

Except that they won't be receiving Pension Credit (because they're not pensioners) but they could be receiving Universal Credit or Jobseeker's Allowance.

Newquay Thu 28-Nov-19 08:31:44

Quite honestly I’m sick of all the mealy mouthed objections to righting this wrong. Women paid in all their lives, many in poorly paid jobs often cos doing child/parent care and to now have the rug pulled from under their feet at the last minute is disgraceful. While the arguments go on, many women have no choice but to continue working, awaiting the day they can receive what they long since paid in. We will look back in shame IMHO

freyja Thu 28-Nov-19 09:10:06

Women allowed to retire at sixty have evaded five years of pension contribution, plus drawing five years of pension which others are contributing to whist working. grin
I find this comment laughable
5 years before I retired at 60; because it was expected not by choice' I had to pay extra money into my pension pot to make up the short falls due to bringing up my children. When this was done I was then told I could NOT pay any extra into the pot or be entitled to the new state pension amount.

The Tory government stole this money. BJ tells people what they want to hear, he lies all the time and what is even more laughable is that people know he's a lier but they think he is wonderful, 'as great as Churchill etc' older members of the public are quoted, can you credit it. Have these people been living on another planet for the last 10 years?

As for JC at least has acknowledged that was an unjustice and will try and sort it out, but as there are so many other prioritise caused by the neglect of this government the Waspi situation will not be top of the list, so I will not hold my breath. The other parties have not made any comments on the WASPi women as I suspect they can not do anything about it.

I despair at the morals of this country. We praise and award cheats and liers. We are rude to those of different creed or colour. We condemn anyone who has different opinions and to top it all, adding insult to injury, those of us who have worked since the age of 15 are accused of being selfish, greedy and stealing our own money.
The worse thing of all is anyone, not matter what party, who dares to goes against the Tory party by highlighting these injustices gets even more abuse.

What has happened to us in the last ten years.sad

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 10:09:34

Yes, freyja, evaded tax and NI makes us sound like criminals. We did not even avoid paying NI if we were able to work after the age of 60 because it was not deducted from our salary.

Pollyanna58 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:32:29

Totally agree with that
And maybe withdrawing the private schools subsidy as well through them incredibly having charitable status could also help cover the money for the waspis

Pollyanna58 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:33:24

?

Crazygran Thu 28-Nov-19 10:36:37

If you believe we will get our money girls , sorry but you will believe anything !!!!!

Paba24 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:38:25

I am a Waspi also, born in 1955. This is money we have paid in and at 64 I am still paying in, why are we being denied it. I don't feel guilty and I don't see why I should. 49 years of working and paying in ... so far, still got another 18 months to go, if I make it. None of us should feel guilty for that.

MiniDriver56 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:40:43

Corbyn stated to Andrew Neil the payments would be made over years! The money won’t come! I’m a WASPI but defintely not for Corbyn!

BusterTank Thu 28-Nov-19 10:43:40

Jeremy Corbin is spending like a man with no pockets and talking money like telephone phone numbers . This country has been in austerity because of the last Labour government . Cutting back everywhere to pay back the money they borrowed , with no means of repaying it . Did the Labour government not learn anything from before .

Urmstongran Thu 28-Nov-19 10:44:38

MaizieD if as you say (and I can at last understand what you mean - you must feel like banging your head against the nearest wall at times!) then why can’t we just have everything we want? Why does a government restrict spending at all?

If our word is as good as our bond (literally) why don’t governments open the sweet shop until we’ve all had enough sugar?

janie123 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:46:04

I am not voting this time, I feel bad about it but I need my pension, born in 1958, and my life is now in ruins, I paid in, worked, looked after family, no maternity pay, and looked forward to my pension and bus pass, these people do not know what they have done. It’s no good giving it a brief mention just before an election to get our votes....we are not that green!

Nannan2 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:48:28

What if it had ALWAYS been a 'later' age for womens pension payments,what then? You all wouldnt know any different,thats what! And why shouldnt it be same for men& women?you all want everything else equal! Take the rough with the smooth i say! And why not bring DOWN the mens retirement age instead? What IS madness is raising it & raising it,for BOTH sexes,as theres a high chance a lot of the 'retirees' could have died before they reach pension age at this rate- but then,ive a sneaking suspicion thats what any of the politicians are hoping forhmmangry

4allweknow Thu 28-Nov-19 10:49:06

With all the vitriolic comments here I feel so guilty being born in the 40s, worked in my youth, was a stay at home mum for 5 years then worked until aged 60 and then awarded a pension albeit not a full pension and at the lower rate. Feel I should find a job and contribute more to support WASPI movement.

Ilovecheese Thu 28-Nov-19 10:50:30

No BusterTank this country has not been in austerity because of the last Labour Government. Austerity has been an ideological choice as a response to a problem caused entirely because of a lack of regulation in the banking sector.

Teegee54 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:50:52

All those of you supporting Johnson & the Tories. In all honesty I don't know how you can live with yourselves. Not only have we had the cruelest govt in years who have actively persecuted the disabled and people of colour, we now face a very real possibility of extreme right wing with Johnson, Trump and Russia. For goodness sake wake up and don't let us sleep walk into fascism!

Nannan2 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:52:32

Its not that many years ago that there was NO pensions,no nhs,no votes,no nothing! No one counts themselves lucky for everything these days!!!hmm some countries dont get all that we do.

Rosina Thu 28-Nov-19 10:52:58

'Don't panic ' - in the words of the immortal Corporal Jones. This morning I read headlines that Labour are to 'change their campaign message' as they have somehow sensed that their performance so far is heading at speed for a brick wall on election day.
Roughly translated this means that they will now say what they think people want to hear - albeit version two - in hopes of victory, and then go right ahead and do what they planned, probably wrecking the economy within a year, as predicted by just about everyone.

jannxxx Thu 28-Nov-19 10:53:31

agree 60 billion he needs and when he said borrow it i nearly fell off the chair we have been scrimping and benefits being stopped and cut to pay back the last borrowing a government did, none of corbyns figures add up its all a scam to get us to vote for them, boris is as bad, the future of this country is doomed,

Ilovecheese Thu 28-Nov-19 10:53:58

The idea of women retiring at an earlier age than men was not in order go do a favour for women, but because it was assumed that when a man retired at 65 he would need his slightly younger wife at home to look after him.

Happygirl79 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:54:52

I was born in August 1953 so lost a lot through this injustice but sadly I don't believe we will get anything
Its all just empty pre election promises.
Worked full time since 16 years of age. Continued to pay full N. I. Stamp when I could have paid reduced stamp as a married woman.
Believed my husband who was in a local government pension scheme when he insisted that I should not join my company scheme as his was ours.
We subsequently divorced after 2 children and 20 year marriage and he took the lot.
So I carried on working because I had to.
I currently have an income of less than 12k but get by.
I don't get any benefits except council tax rebate as I live alone without a partner but I'm in good health and happy so feel truly blessed
Resilience

Saggi Thu 28-Nov-19 10:54:54

No need to argue about something that won’t happen. They lie , as easily as you and I make a cuppa.... they lie about bigger things than repaying us the money that was stolen from us,....they lie because it’s the one lesson politicians learn early on in life .... they lie because we allow them to ‘get away with it’ Dint worry your heads about any of the promises...none of it will happen. Does anybody remember John Prescott..saying he would abolish that use bu h in the House of Lords....I still haven’t stopped smiling at Lord John Prescott !!!

Teegee54 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:55:30

Rosina
It will be saving people's lives by keeping the NHS

growstuff Thu 28-Nov-19 10:56:51

freyja I'm afraid you were conned years ago if you ever thought it was your own money. You never paid into your own pension pot. In fact, those who have paid in most don't receive bigger pensions because the state pension redistributes wealth.

Whether people are better off with the old or new state pension depends how long they live. It sounds as though you missed out on Home Responsibilities Protection if you had to pay for years when you had children. I'd be miffed about that.

People have never been able to pay in "extra" like they could with a proper insurance fund. I'll be two years short of receiving the maximum pension despite having 47 years of contributions, but I can't pay any more.

I wish people would just take a step back and see what Labour's offer actually means and who will benefit most. Righting an alleged injustice with another doesn't solve anything. It would be far fairer to revoke and adjust working age benefits for men and women and concentrate on the 2011 changes, but the WASPI and Backto60 activists aren't interested because they wouldn't benefit.

Jue1 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:58:09

My pension age went from 60 to 66.
I have no qualms about getting any money, any compensation.
I paid into my pension from the age of 16.
What I do with the money, in terms of giving it to children/grandchildren is really not the issue. For some, it will lift them out of penury.
The moral issue is that with little or, in my case, NO notice, money was taken from us that we had rightly earned.
Don’t muddle the issue with what you do with the money it is not relevant.
Sad to say, we won’t get the money anyway but if we did, it would be a lovely problem to have.