Gransnet forums

News & politics

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas

(53 Posts)
grannypauline Thu 28-Nov-19 10:14:25

I quote from a friend's message on Facebook (!!) because he sums it up so well:

The very, very wealthy individuals who support the Tories have made money hand over fist throughout austerity, whilst the working class have suffered cuts in our NHS, the Police Force, the Fire Brigade, schools, libraries, mental health budgets, social care for the elderly....the list goes on. They have made money by forcing workers to accept no-contract jobs, paying wages that are not enough to live on.

Meanwhile their mates in the government pass laws to shackle the trade unions, and laws that allow wealthy people like Richard Branson to sue the NHS because he did not get a contract.

They fail to pass laws that:
protect workers and inhabitants from poor building regulations - and they cut back on inspections as in Grenfell Towers
prevent CEOs from being paid large sums of money for running firms into bankruptcy
prevent businesses from underfunding pensions schemes so workers who thought they were providing for their retirement are left high and dry, with the tax payer picking up the bill.

The wealthiest people have made buckets of cash during the last 10 years of austerity whilst the poor have been forced to live on the streets through lack of housing. Low wage workers and their families are increasingly turning to food banks to survive.

Surely most fair thinking people can see the utter ruthlessness and underhandedness of the Tories. Do you really believe that all the handouts Johnson is offering will be honoured? For God’s sake don't fall for the Tory and Media’s propaganda.
VOTE LABOUR

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 11:10:12

The reason more women than men read The Mail is simply because it is female oriented.

On the occasions when we have bought it DH has dismissed it with 'this is a women's mag'!
Well, not bought it, got it free with a Waitrose shop.

Urmstongran Fri 29-Nov-19 10:16:10

blush

Starblaze Fri 29-Nov-19 10:13:36

Voting Labour, as are my children. They have more at stake here.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:12:20

GGMK3 so according to you anybody reading a “right leaning”. newspaper is “influenced (conned)”. Obviously by your standards all “left wing” newspapers are totally factual, and all readers are highly educated?

Thank you so much for “Just saying the comment is “insulting” is what a less educated person does”????? Now that really is insulting!!!!!

You have absolutely no idea of my educational background.

Dinahmo Fri 29-Nov-19 10:09:00

Urmstongran

What can I say? I bow down before your infinite intelligence and superiority. Hail Urm!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:06:17

Urmstongran grin

Urmstongran Fri 29-Nov-19 10:00:25

I just love that my post message Urmstongran Thu 28-Nov-19 11:43:45 has been conveniently swerved by the EU lovers!

GracesGranMK3 Fri 29-Nov-19 09:47:12

GG13 All you have to do is research the demographic of the readers of these papers and show them to be untrue. Just saying the comment is "insulting" is what a less educated person does. A more educated one would either not bother replying or show why it us incorrect.

I can't be bother to spend too much time on this but you can quickly find out that more women that men read the mail and it has an older age profile than other newspapers. Iam sure you can find out how well educated they are. Oh, and although a majority don't trust what they read they are influence (conned) by it.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 29-Nov-19 09:23:58

Granny, thank you for the wonderful post and so true. This lot who disagree are just living in cuckoo land and can't think beyond the statement Get Brexit Done.

This is the worse government we have ever had, they are devoid of any feeling for anyone but themselves and are self serving. I have even heard them described as evil by a Doctor.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Nov-19 09:21:20

Varian your assumptions that anyone reading The Daily Mail, Express or Sun are less educated than the rest of the population are insulting.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 29-Nov-19 09:12:37

"Does no one have anything original to say on the subject?"

Certainly you do not M0nica. However you do seem to want to close down free speech.

Urmstongran Fri 29-Nov-19 09:03:16

Definitely newnanny‼️

So many smug faces who went against their party manifestos will be missing from in the HoC mid December! Some are standing as Independents. Some are in marginal seats. I read that even Jo Swinson might lose her seat to the SNP candidate.

Christmas cheer as far as I’m concerned!
??

growstuff Fri 29-Nov-19 01:47:15

Dreading and voting for aren't the same thing.

newnanny Fri 29-Nov-19 01:14:10

I can think of some turkeys who will be dreading Xmas. The Labour MP's sitting in leave voting constituencies that kept trying to block the UK leaving the EU. Think Yvette Cooper in her leave constituency.

Dinahmo Thu 28-Nov-19 23:58:33

OK - the leeks in this instance were pulled from the ground - no forks or spades used.

Oopsminty As I'm 73 (and still working but at a computer at home) I don't have to do such work. I'd like to know why you think I'm willing to take advantage of European workers.

When I was young, between leaving school and waiting for the Civil Service entrance I worked in film processing company. I spent days separating the metal and plastic parts of empty film canisters. Completely mind numbing, especially once I became aware that the muzac came on or went off every 15 minutes which made the day seem much longer.

Chestnut I don't think any Remainers have advocated taking advantage of cheap immigrant labour. I, or we are just stating an obvious fact.

Around the time of the referendum the BBC made a short series of programmes about migrant labour in East Anglia. They found some unemployed people, mainly young and found them jobs - a couple in Indian restaurants and some working on farms, some decorating and a couple in a potato packing plant. None of them managed to make the grade. The general attitude was that the work was beneath them - but they had no skills.

Chestnut Thu 28-Nov-19 23:27:00

It is indeed immoral to take advantage of cheap immigrant labour which is what remainers advocate. If the cost of food goes up because we have to pay more for pickers then so be it. They should be paid a decent wage for doing such tedious work. And packers of processed food, including sweets, cakes, chocolate, puddings, crisps etc. should be paid more, then it would help the obesity crisis if people couldn't afford all that rubbish.

anna7 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:34:32

Because if there were not willing workers prepared to work for the bare minimum on zero hours contracts then the farmers would have to pay more and/ or improve conditions. I understand this increase would be passed on to the consumer down the line but I believe it is necessary to avoid exploiting workers.

I have worked for a large food producing company and I know that such companies will employ immigrants for poor wages and conditions, through agencies in my experience, rather than employ people who have decent contracts that have been negotiated via unions.

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 21:21:31

Farmers will pay the going rate for wages - why would you think they do otherwise?

anna7 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:14:36

I agree with Oopsminty.

I do not believe our young people think they are above 'that kind of work' but I do believe all people should be paid fair wages/ conditions for all work and that just because some people, including immigrants are so desperate for work that they will do any job for terrible wages and conditions that this makes it right. Surely that is indeed taking advantage of Eastern Europeans/immigrants

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 20:32:10

Ps you can't pick leeks - they have to be dug.
I've dug our own up.

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 20:30:04

Oopsminty
I remember another leftist poster saying that no way were her children going to pick fruit/vegetables in their university holidays.
That's why we require the numbers of hardworking, willing immigrants we do because some our own young people think they are above that kind of work.

I am so glad to say that my own DC were not above menial work when they needed money when they were young.

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 20:24:48

I know exactly what Turkeys voting for Christmas means, grannyPauline!

However, the title of your thread does not make sense and and it is difficult to decipher exactly what you meant.

Oopsminty Thu 28-Nov-19 20:23:32

I have to say there's no way I would have liked to pick those leeks - horribly wet and muddy. Luckily I don't have to.

But you like to take advantage of Eastern Europeans who will come and do this dirty work.

This is such a shocking attitude.

The irony of the situation is lost on so many left leaning posters

Dinahmo Thu 28-Nov-19 20:19:11

Urmstongran where are the farmers going to get the workers to pick the fruit and veg. Brits, even the least skilled, don't want to do it. There was a news item this evening about a leek farmer and the problems he was having. I have to say there's no way I would have liked to pick those leeks - horribly wet and muddy. Luckily I don't have to.

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 20:18:52

It is a metaphor which is not well understood by the readers of The Express, The Daily Mail, or The Sun.

Possibly some of the readers of The Telegraph do understand it, but don't worry that it might apply to them because they have funds carefully deposited offshore, but quite a lot of Telegraph readers have no more insight into what is really going on than the readers of the right_wing tabloids.