Gransnet forums

News & politics

What Boris Johnson thinks about social care ..[ifthelinkworks]

(13 Posts)
Labaik Fri 29-Nov-19 11:59:42

www.facebook.com/959780427477483/posts/2437787073010137?vh=e&sfns=mo

tanith Fri 29-Nov-19 12:54:21

It works, I’m not in the least surprised?

Granny23 Fri 29-Nov-19 13:30:56

No wonder that BJ does not want to talk about Social Care when his only vague idea is to stop family homes being used to pay for care costs. Although this is an iniquitous part of the rules re funding of SC, it only affects families who have a valuable (empty) property to sell because if a spouse or close relative/former carer is still living in the house there is no need to sell it. Boris's aim is to protect the inheritance rights of the children to their parent's house which loss of incoming revenue will eventually lead to increased care costs for everyone in residential care, including those with no house to sell.

BJ's proposal will do nothing to resolve the gross unfairness in the system, whereby those who are deemed to require nursing care have their care home or 'at home' services provided free of charge, while those suffering from the terminal DISEASE called dementia are deemed to require social care only and are required to pay through the nose for the privilege of having their needs met, until almost all their savings have been exhausted.

Labaik Fri 29-Nov-19 18:13:24

To be fair, he has said he was gesticulating to the sound person [or somebody like that]. Even so it probably meant he didn't want to talk about social care and it's interesting to see how grumpy he looks when he isn't playing to the crowds. Also, he should have had the sense to know he was being filmed as well as recorded. But then he seems very naïve about a lot of things.
Granny23; a friend of mine whose husband had dementia used to tell me how little help she received compared to people whose partners had other illnesses. Not, of course, that she didn't want them to have help, but it seemed unfair that she had so little [if any..].

Granny23 Fri 29-Nov-19 19:44:11

I am really upset today to discover that DH (with Dementia) has been written off as 'lacking capacity' and denied a vote in the GE. This is a man who has been for nearly 50 years (and still is) a Party Member, donor and activist, who has voted in every election and referendum, always in the same way. If he had any other illness or condition, medical or mental health, he would be permitted to vote.

Perhaps this is why Social Care is so low on the political agenda when the people most affected by the lack of it are denied a vote.

Blinko Fri 29-Nov-19 20:37:33

I think we should all be worried about the future of Social Care in this country. No party seems able to grasp this nettle, least of all the Tories.

Labaik Fri 29-Nov-19 20:50:15

Our local LibDem candidates leaflet says she is 'particularly concerned about mental health services and provision for Dementia Care'. The party wants to use the 1% rise in income tax to relieve the crisis in social care, tackle staff shortages and invest in mental health services.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 07:45:01

Boris Johnson doesn’t think, or at least only so far as what is good for Johnson.

Michael Dougan
@mdouganlpool
In Boris Johnson's world, I'm just a bumboy from a drunk, criminal, aimless, hopeless family.

In my world, Bogus Johnson isn't just a disgusting, contemptuous bigot.

He's also a serious threat to nearly every basic value that this country worked hard to create over generations.

Luckygirl Sat 30-Nov-19 10:23:30

if a spouse or close relative/former carer is still living in the house there is no need to sell it - that is only correct in theory.

If a third party top-up is required, as the LA will not pay sufficient for a decent nursing home, then the spouse remaining in the family home has no choice but to sell - I am in this position at the moment, so am very well aware of this.

I have been saying throughout this campaign that no party wants to grasp the nettle over this huge problem - this is amply demonstrated by the above link.

He's also a serious threat to nearly every basic value that this country worked hard to create over generations - I cannot argue with that.

Luckygirl Sat 30-Nov-19 10:33:12

TBH, watching that video link made me feel quite sick.

He is out to protect his own; and will throw others less fortunate to the dogs without a passing qualm.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Nov-19 10:38:26

Anyone seen the list of operations and procedures that the NHS can no longer afford to offer. 34 things being withdrawn.

Top of the list is hernia operations, and kidney stones

You have to put up, shut up or pay.

Alexa Sat 30-Nov-19 11:19:30

Don't worry about these painful illnesses! We can easily buy private health insurance and get kidney stones removed by private surgeons in private hospitals, as they do in the USA.

Blinko Tue 10-Dec-19 09:47:23

Boris and his ilk are simply not interested in anything except retaining power. Not even Brexit (which is just a populist peg to hang a slogan on), not the health service, not the elderly or sick children and certainly not the less well off.

And, contrary to some people I've heard recently, the more I hear of Jo Swinson and the Lib Dems, the more I like what I hear.