Gransnet forums

News & politics

John McDonnell - fee paying scholar to Marxist

(320 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 30-Nov-19 11:21:25

What is it with Labour high command? The Sun newspaper recently outed JMcD as having gone to a fee paying public school at £38,000 p.a. Fair enough say some, you can’t blame him for the choices his parents made regarding his education.

But wait a minute! These last few years he had tried to hide it. Said (eventually) it was in preparation for the seminary (it wasn’t - the school scoffed at the idea).

Now he’s part of the cohort who wants to abolish private schools but will make do (until then) with removing their tax avoidance charity status.

In the mean time he waves his little red book about.

Seems to be “do as I say, don't do as I do” - for the few, not for the many it seems.

Another Labour hypocrite!

What do you think?

MaizieD Wed 04-Dec-19 08:12:54

I've found the Mail on Sunday article that the Sun, the Daily Express and the 'Herald Publicist' lifted their stories from.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7740117/The-public-school-past-Marxist-McDonnell-tried-hide.html

While reading it I had the feeling that I'd encountered a similar journalistic style before. Then I realised. Rita Skeeter at her inimitable best.... ?

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 08:38:30

Ug if you want to wind this up I think you ought to hold your hands up and admit ‘sorry folks I got this wrong’. It happens and it is easy to be misled by some of the stories put out in the media at this time.

growstuff Wed 04-Dec-19 09:30:24

It really concerns me that untruths can be so quickly disseminated and believed, not just with this particular non-story.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:52:26

Another lie. This time about Mr Corbyn and NATO. Just so we are all clear, there is a commitment to NATO in the manifesto.

Also, after the London Bridge attack, Mr Johnson accused Mr Corbyn of wanting to close down MI5. Today could find no evidence, stretching back many years of him EVER having said that. Mr Johnson, it seems, lies as he breathes.

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:11:53

Yehbutnotbut - agreed 100% - am holding my breath ;)

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 10:41:19

It was in fact McDonnell who said MI5 should be disbanded in 2015 and signed a statement to that effect although he later denied having done so. This was despite him holding a copy of the statement by the SCLV and beaming.
Abbott has said so too.

Guardian 19/11/2015
Sorry, I cannot link.

growstuff Wed 04-Dec-19 11:38:48

Now the smear about McDonnell's education has hopefully been debunked, I'll say that I really don't agree with much that he says. My point is that I'd rather criticise him for his actions and beliefs rather than some fabricated smear. I feel the same about any politician. I think smears and inaccuracies just cloud genuine issues.

Johnson should have known better than to smear Corbyn, but I doubt if he'll apologise. Lying seems to have become his "modus operandi".

GracesGranMK3 Wed 04-Dec-19 11:57:56

To be honest, Johnson has told so many lies that I simply think all he is saying is a lie. I simply don't believe the MI5 thing. Basically, I have better things to do than sort out that man's lies from the truth. So if he opens his mouth it's a lie as far as I am concerned.

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:51:31

Growstuff- agreed- attack the policies you don't agree with, don't smear the man with bitter gossip.

I madea mistake the other day, but stating that Marr is a Tory- because this is how I'd interpreted much of wht he has said in last couple of years. It was pointed out I was wrong, by anno and a few others. So I did a bit of research, and was very happy to say I had been mistaken.

Why can't people put their hands up when they are found to be wrong or mistaken- I justt don't know.

Opal Wed 04-Dec-19 12:54:44

Ooh, pot, kettle, black jura2 - "attack the policies you don't agree with, don't smear the man with bitter gossip" - you constantly "smear" Johnson with "bitter gossip".

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 13:23:17

What - gossip like this Opal?

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-lies-conservative-leader-candidate-list-times-banana-brexit-bus-a8929076.html%3famp

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/37-lies-gaffes-scandals-make-18558695.amp

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thecanary.co/uk/2019/10/05/just-over-100-days-in-and-boris-johnsons-lied-and-misled-80-times-and-rising/amp/

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 13:36:01

Johnson is a massive and multiple, compulsive liar- FACT - no gossip in there at all.

GrannySquare Wed 04-Dec-19 13:45:49

I am amused by the tenacity of JMcD’s Scouse accent given that he has lived in SE for most of his life.

Keeper1 Wed 04-Dec-19 13:46:03

Slightly off topic but why does parliament not buy some apartments that are for MP’s to stay when they need to be in London and so stop all these claims for housing? I am probably being naive so please be gentle.

Opal Wed 04-Dec-19 14:02:53

Funny that SCJ, when I click on those links, guess what, its either left wing media sites, or a report of a report taken from guess who, the Labour Party!!. As I said, gossip and idle left wing speculation. Not worth another second of my time ...

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 14:04:50

I don't know what Marr's politics are but I do know that the lovely Jack Ashley, a Labour MP for 26 years, was his FIL - was he ever your MP jura?

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 14:06:21

Left wing speculation grin

So come on then - which ones are factually incorrect? Surely, as a BJ fan (or at least, a right winger) you'll be able to put us right.

jura2 Wed 04-Dec-19 14:57:30

waiting, patiently - waiting ...

off to my massage now.

growstuff Wed 04-Dec-19 15:00:40

The BBC (not exactly a left-wing organisation these days) fact-checked Johnson's interview with Marr. The conclusion was that every single claim Johnson made was untrue.

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:48:43

Has Ug scuttled quietly away?

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:56:00

GrannySquare John McD’s does not have much of an accent even though he was born in Liverpool, but..possibly like myself, and others, if I return to my hometown I find myself slipping back into the local accent unconsciously.

Understand?

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:57:34

Opal just answer me this, are you really happy with what has happened in this country over the last decade?

A simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ will suffice.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:53:39

Opal Do all Tories or fans of Mr Johnson lie or do they tell the truth and tell us what is incorrect in those articles? Just it's gossip and speculation is a lie unless it can be proved otherwise.

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 17:26:48

Oh my goodness

(a) I cannot believe my little thread (!) is still running

And

(b) that ybnb STILL has it in for me. - such a mean turn of phrase to any OP - Has Ug scuttled quietly away?

I said yesterday afternoon I thought it was time to leave.
I voted ‘aye’

Did you not see it?

No further comment from me on this thread.
?

P.s. I wasn’t ‘scuttling’

SirChenjin Wed 04-Dec-19 17:30:24

You definitely opened a can of worms Urm grin