Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andrew Marr show today...

(130 Posts)
jura2 Sun 01-Dec-19 11:56:52

was not able to watch as no UK Channels where I am currently. Could you kindly tell me how it went? Thanks.

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 21:31:39

Who would vote for this?
Nationalise everything that moves ( or doesn’t move)
Somebody who hates NATO
Would borrow three times as much as any other party
Would kowtow to any foreign power
Would seek to lose our nuclear deterrent
Calls Hamas friends
Invites the IRA to tea at Westminster after bombings
Is a rebellious student even though 70
Is a serial ditherer.
Who wants him as PM? Really?!

jo1book Sun 01-Dec-19 21:51:06

I agree with Lemon

Johnson may not be the best candidate but when faced with the alternative of Corbyn, he seems almost good!
Picked up an interview with a Labour voter from Walsall - a key marginal- who said Boris will get his vote because he is one of the blokes, like us working men! It made me laugh.

specki4eyes Sun 01-Dec-19 21:52:48

You're so right growstuff. I joined Gransnet seven years ago and enjoyed, in those days, the reasoned discussions and sound counsel of its members (most of whom appear to have now left). These days you get posters like lemongrove peddling their puerile opinions and bigotted attitudes and who are also so keen to fight, bully and belittle.

jo1book Sun 01-Dec-19 21:54:02

What! The bullies on GN are in the red corner.

absthame Sun 01-Dec-19 21:57:43

People with sense want neither as PM, neither the lying, fornicating, devious, amoral Johnson nor the weak, disloyal Corbyn. Sensible voters will vote, in their own constituencies, to frustrate either from having a majority.

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 21:58:50

Oh dear specki I have been on GN for years and years,
But why so hostile? I don’t mind in the least you peddling your puerile opinions and bigoted attitudes, and as for fighting bullying and belittling are you keen on it? I’m not.
Unfortunately some posters see any opposition to their own views as bigoted or puerile, it’s sad really.

Iam64 Sun 01-Dec-19 22:45:48

lemon grove, I understand Khan was released on license. He was wearing a tag. His license would, I think, have been supervised by the Offender Management organisation. It used to be the Probstion Service.

growstuff Sun 01-Dec-19 22:52:24

I've come to the same conclusion as you specki. I wish GN had an ignore button, so that posters who add nothing except sneering and nastiness could be avoided.

Chestnut Sun 01-Dec-19 23:08:55

I watched Andrew Marr with Johnson and had to switch it off. The repetition was driving me nuts, with Marr struggling to override Johnson who kept banging the same drum.
Johnson is certainly not my ideal PM but the thought of Corbyn in No 10 is so appalling that I will vote for Johnson. I also can't bear the thought of three more years arguing over whether Brexit should go ahead.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 01-Dec-19 23:51:33

I didn't watch the Andrew Marr interview with BoJo this morning as I couldn't face hearing one lie after another.

For some reason voters don't care about lies as long as they like what the lies are telling them.

I despair..............!

GranE Mon 02-Dec-19 00:17:47

I am thinking of starting a thread on Snow Globe Collecting, Lemongrove, to see if you can turn even that into an opportunity to attack Corbyn with your usual mix of factoids and speculation.
Mmmmm, on second thoughts, maybe not - I think I may be underestimating you! ?

crystaltipps Mon 02-Dec-19 03:04:17

Who would vote for this?
Savage cuts in prison officers and police numbers
Privatisation of the probation service and just about every other public service
Closure of youth services
Closure of libraries
Cuts to social services
The lowest pensions in Europe
School budgets squeezed so fewer teaching assistants and special needs services
The NHS short of nurses and doctors and crumbling in many areas.
Railways the most expensive and unreliable in Europe
A huge growth in Homelessness, child poverty and Food banks
A PM who can’t bumble through a speech without grunting and lying through his teeth
A PM who blames everyone else for his shortcomings
A PM with close ties to Trump and Putin
People want him for PM - really?

crystaltipps Mon 02-Dec-19 03:10:40

Banging terrorists up for life is not something he’s ever uttered before nor is it in the manifesto- he is trying to make political capital out of tragedy- something the victims families asked not to happen- so his “don’t forget the victims” talk was what he precisely went on to do.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Dec-19 06:40:35

I was reading an article yesterday about the various terrorist incidents that have happened under different premiers.

None have sought to make political capital as Johnson has done.

He will stop at nothing to further the Johnson cause.

Urmstongran Mon 02-Dec-19 08:45:31

The journo on the AM show yesterday (Northern) was Helen Pidd from the Guardian lemongrove. I think she’s brilliant. I love her articles and thought her comments about Corbyn haters on the doorsteps of the NW was spot on!

Lovetopaint037 Mon 02-Dec-19 08:48:50

I can just about stand to hear most points of view except one and that is they are voting for Johnson because he makes them laugh!!! I heard it yesterday from someone I believe to be intelligent. I said nothing as I didn’t trust my tongue.

jura2 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:08:40

The father of the young man killed on the bridge has asked Johnson not to use the death of his son for his political advancement, as he stands for everything the youn man despised and was fighting against.

Johnson is totally ignoring their wishes - sick,

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:25:14

If Boris Johnson avoided saying anything about the terrorist attack in London on Friday he would be castigated for ignoring the safety of UK Citizens.

When he has spoken of the disgusting event he is accused of “politicalising” it, well guess what terrorist attacks on UK shores are political.

They are acts of violence against a country who’s way of life and politics do not conform to what these extremists believe to be “The path of Islam”

I am not a Boris Johnson fan, he was not my choice for leader of the Conservative Party.

I am however a Conservative with an exceptional constituency MP, who shall have my X on my ballot paper.

jo1book Mon 02-Dec-19 09:34:06

I sent £10 to the cause to try to prosecute Johnson but have had a change of heart. I will now vote for him. This Country needs a strong attitude to terrorism which will not come from Corbyn. Also I was a strong Remainer but now I am tired of the argument and feel nothing but contempt for Labour's ghastly sitting on the fence attitude. As for Jo Swinson - useless. We must leave the EU and get on with life. also believe Labour needs a purge of the Marxists which will happen if they lose the election.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:38:18

I think this is rather pertinent?

Urmstongran Mon 02-Dec-19 09:42:34

What about the boats coming in via the channel bringing in mostly fighting aged men from God knows where ,

All these parties have talked about is Housing , Tax Planting trees , NOT one party has mentioned our borders and how weak they are letting economical illegal immigrants come via channel , backs of lorries , vans etc . And they are not coming for our weather are they ?

jo1book Mon 02-Dec-19 09:43:46

Can you summarise it for me GG13. Can't open it on my device.

jo1book Mon 02-Dec-19 09:48:29

Unfortunately, all strong Economies are a honey-pot. We do need to tighten our borders and make it difficult for unneeded people to come here.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:56:15

jolbook. It is an article from guardian.com dated Tue 18 Sep 2012.

Strasbourg judges rule indeterminate sententences unlawful.

European court of Human Rights rules against open-ended sentences (IPP) being served by 6,000 prisoners in England and Wales.

It's available at guardian.com

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:56:34

The UCHR ruled against indeterminate sentences in 2012 because it was found that due to lack of resources the prisoners had no recourse to rehabilitation allowing them the chance to reform.

Lack of planning and implementation of resources without any consideration given to the impact of such draconian measures meant that prisoners were left for long periods without prisoner offending programmes.

Because of the conditions under which these prisoners were being held the UCHR ruled the It to be unlawful under a specific condition within the UCHR act.