Gransnet forums

News & politics

Surprised about LibDems

(135 Posts)
AllTheLs Thu 05-Dec-19 12:56:27

This isn't posted to start an argument, but I am genuinely surprised at how badly the LibDems are doing in the polls. During the Summer and Autumn the media, the forums on Gransnet, conversations with family/friends, almost everybody seemed to strongly advocate Remaining in the EU, so I thought the LibDems would do much better in this election than it seems they are doing. I wondered if others were surprised at this and whether there is an explanation out there somewhere.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 14:44:17

She would refuse to work/collaborate with Labour with Corbyn at the helm.

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 14:45:16

If there was another referendum under a minority LP govt it would depend on the outcome. The LibDems will support Remain and if we could stop brexit, then I think everything else would be different.

Whether Corbyn remains LP leader is not up to the LibDems, but if he does we would support the policies we agree with and not others.

Right now, though it looks as if it is more likely that Johnson remains PM, but we must hope he does not get a majority.

Labaik Thu 12-Dec-19 14:47:40

It's going to be a long night with a few shocks along the way. If only Labour would advise people to vote LibDem in Raabs constituency the way the LibDems have in Rosie Duffields, though.

GrandmaMoira Thu 12-Dec-19 15:52:25

As a Remainer I feel the LibDems have so little chance of getting more than a handful of seats it is a wasted vote. The only chance of being able to Remain is for Labour to get in and offer another referendum, which is unlikely due to Corbyn's unpopularity.
I think we should have had another referendum rather than an election now. No other issue matters at all until Brexit is settled. I know Leavers and some Remainers disagree.

humptydumpty Thu 12-Dec-19 15:58:56

GrandmaMoira hear, hear.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 16:57:01

If everyone who thought the Lib Dems didn't stand much chance actually voted for them they would win more seats!

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 16:57:48

Look at the best anti-tory candidate in your constituency. In many places a vote for the Labour Party is a wasted vote. It will allow the Tory to win when a vote for the LibDems or another Remain supporting party could beat the Tory candidate.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 17:48:21

Not here but never mind!

absthame Thu 12-Dec-19 18:04:42

I agree Varian I live in a small rural town, it is part of what used to be Johnson's constituency before the clown decided to stand for London Mayor. I have lived in the town for over 40 years and for much of that time have been a member of the LP, but in general elections voting for them is the same as voting for the Tory, so I have always voted LD, it makes more sense than voting with my heart.