Gransnet forums

News & politics

I've signed up - how about you?

(57 Posts)
Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 00:56:08

I'm not flying in the coming year anyway, but this is all about changing views, raising awareness and slowing the destruction of our planet!

flightfree.co.uk/

ayse Sun 08-Dec-19 14:26:31

Just been looking at train fares Newcastle to Bristol. The cheapest is £167 whereas flying just now is £45 return. This is for March. Crazy, isn’t it?

Hetty58 Sun 08-Dec-19 14:43:02

Urmstongran, my friend has a house in Spain but always travels by train (she doesn't like flying) so you could still get there!

Hetty58 Sun 08-Dec-19 14:56:12

SueDonim, thank you for explaining virtue signalling. You said: 'The OP says she wasn’t planning to fly anyway, so in what way is she making a difference'

I have made a tiny difference by not planning to fly London to Glasgow again (as I used to) to visit a friend. I pushed for video-conferencing at work too, so I've signed and posted to raise awareness, generally, perhaps to influence others - I can but try!

Hetty58 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:29:28

Overall, an interesting set of responses, some very defensive, of course (as people really don't like change). I shouldn't think holidays and visiting relatives are the main problem. There's an awful lot of totally unnecessary short business and cargo flights, though.

Obviously, it's fundamentally a problem for governments to address, rather than individuals. Train fares (and ferries) should be much cheaper to encourage alternative travel. It's a shame that motorail has declined, too - but it seems sensible to plan a comeback. There are still some:

www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm

ayse Sun 08-Dec-19 15:33:51

I’d love motorail. Just image going on holiday in the UK with only a short drive at the end instead of hours on the road. I loathe driving.

jura2 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:35:50

As said, several EU countries, and Switzerland- are making a concerted, collaborative effort, to bring back night trains inter EU- to stop short distance flights. It is a political choice.

If I come to London or the East Mids- with TGV and Eurostar- it takes me all day- a relaxing day, reading, snoozing, watching the world go by ... door to door. If I choose to fly, it takes me all day- getting to airport by car or bus + train, 2 change- then flight and take bus from ariport to car hire- wait- get home, etc. All day too, but stressful and exhausting- and all in all, as I book early- often much cheaper. Makes total sense.