Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can't believe Elon Musk has got away with it.

(28 Posts)
Gonegirl Sat 07-Dec-19 08:27:54

How can you possibly go on social media and call someone a "peado guy" and not be libelling him?

The law is an absolute ass. So unfair. angry

Baggs Sat 07-Dec-19 08:42:06

I was rather shocked at that result too.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:43:45

Money?

Urmstongran Sat 07-Dec-19 08:52:33

Poor Mr Unsworth must have had a dreadful lawyer to lose that case.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Dec-19 09:01:27

Unbelievable, considering Musk’s subsequent tweets.

Bet ya a signed dollar it's true.

And to a reporter who contacted him for comment on the threat of legal action, stop defending child rapists.

Yorksherlass Sat 07-Dec-19 09:02:35

Hmm, money talks, wonder what the result would have been if the roles were reversed ?

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Dec-19 09:26:16

I was shocked when I heard the result. It's a disgrace.

EllanVannin Sat 07-Dec-19 09:33:48

Money talks every time. He's another obnoxious individual.

merlotgran Sat 07-Dec-19 09:35:02

Yes. Money talks! Unbelievable!

JessK Sat 07-Dec-19 09:37:33

Yes he's supposed to be a real bully. They are going to appeal but not sure that will do any good.

sunseeker Sat 07-Dec-19 09:38:47

Agree with everyone else - how can calling someone "pedo guy" not be libel? Obviously his money protected him. Feel very sorry for Mr Unsworth who was such a help in rescuing those boys.

henetha Sat 07-Dec-19 09:51:54

Justice has not been done in this case. It's appalling.

timetogo2016 Sat 07-Dec-19 09:57:18

Yes money certainly does talk.
If it were one of us ladies the outcome would be totally different.
The judicial system is out of touch with the real world these days.

Grannyknot Sat 07-Dec-19 10:13:49

I'm not a huge fan of Elon Musk, however ...

Giles Coren - who also called a "respected political journalist" a paedo on Twitter - writes in the Sunday Times today Whether we like it or not, words are cheap and becoming cheaper. Twitter is a dull, brutish arena to throw them around in and I think we should be free to say whatever we like there. I reaped the online whirlwind for my “pedo guy” moment but I will repeat it like a shot if he comes for me again. That said, don’t think for a minute that if some future billionaire calls me a paedo, I won’t go after him for every penny I can get.

I think what Coren is suggesting is that when someone is very wealthy, they are more likely to face a lawsuit, whereas someone like him who tweeted exactly the same insult, gets away with it.

Also, Musk tweeted that in response to he diver saying "he can stick his submarine where it hurts".

It's playground stuff (like we sometimes get on Gransnet, only worse) so it probably should not have made it to court.

I'll hide now.

Urmstongran Sat 07-Dec-19 10:19:07

Twitter can be toxic.

Bathsheba Sat 07-Dec-19 10:26:14

Appalling result, and sets a very worrying precedent.

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 10:57:35

I missed this result and must say that I am appalled that this individual got away with it.
His pugnacious face reminded me of a certain POTUS, same spoilt pout.

Mr Unsworth is a hero.

merlotgran Sat 07-Dec-19 11:27:48

Grannyknot has a point. Using Twitter as a means of hurling insults means you have to grow another skin because they'll come right back at you.

varian Sat 07-Dec-19 12:07:35

Apparently, under Californian law, Mr Unsworth's legal team were able to question the jurors after the verdict had been delivered.

They found to their horror that the jurors believed that because they'd never heard of Mr Unsworth, no-one else would have heard of him either and so he, in effect, didn't have a reputation that could be damaged.

At the time Musk put out his vile tweet, Mr Unsworth was a hero, known to just about everyone in Thailand, UK, Australia and in many other places worldwide. He already had a formidible international reputation as a fearless caver.

I hope they succeed in appealing this verdict.

EllanVannin Sat 07-Dec-19 12:36:07

Someone should throw Musk in the deepest cave and tell him to get on with it !

Baggs Sat 07-Dec-19 13:40:44

Thank you, grannyknot.

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 13:56:51

I'm sure, then, that Giles Coren won't mind me saying that I think he is a smug little arsehole.

I liked his dad though.

Baggs Sat 07-Dec-19 14:30:29

I'm sure he won't mind too, callis.

oldgimmer1 Sat 07-Dec-19 15:11:18

Tricky, isn't it?

I think the reason Musk "got away with it" was because Mr Unsworth could not prove that his life had been negatively impacted sufficiently to warrant a guilty verdict.

I'm wondering if the shoe had been on the other foot, and it was Mr Unsworth calling Musk a paedo, whether the verdict would have been the same?

I doubt it somehow, as Musk has a reputation and a profile, and Unsworth doesn't, so less to lose. If that makes sense.

I'm quite concerned about this verdict; even if it WAS just a silly tweet it's actually out there, in writing, in the public domain. So libel.

BlueBelle Sat 07-Dec-19 15:32:07

Well in answer to your question how has he got away with it well two quick answers
1 Money
2 Tried in home area