Gransnet forums

News & politics

voting today

(82 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 12-Dec-19 08:24:20

I am still undecided about who to vote for. I am fearful for our wonderful country and concerned that the 'right' party is put in power to govern us. There is so much derogatory information about the two main parties that i am finding it so difficult to make this important decision. I wonder how many people may feel the same and will just end up not voting at all!!!

Firecracker123 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:40:00

GagoJo
Virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings.

Why would anyone care about strangers more than themselves (unless you are Mother Theresa) I and I would think most people would think about their own family and themselves first.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 12-Dec-19 10:44:12

I am ill today, but even if I have to crawl there on my hands and knees I will vote. The irony is my vote won't count because the sitting MP has a big majority, and I am not voting for him.
We've got a very imperfect democracy, where the results of the election depends on just a handful of constituencies.

Tooting29 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:55:22

I am voting for the local candidate who I think has the constituency intersts first and foremost and will do his/her best for our area. I have read through local materials and contacted candidates directly and my vote is based on the responses received. I read but dismissed the hyperbole, aggressive negative campaigning, fake news, twitterati rants and social media bias. I am content with the choice I have made but it was tough.

loopyloo Thu 12-Dec-19 10:59:13

Been to vote and for the first time ever, there was a long queue. What does that signify?

Davida1968 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:00:27

Please, please use your vote. You could write comments on your ballot paper if you simply can't bear to nominate any of the candidates. (All the candidates - or their representatives - are required to look at a "spoiled" ballot paper, so you'd get your message across.) Better still, vote for the person/party whom you think will do the best job to care for you, this nation, and all our citizens.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:12:10

Firecracker ''Virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings.

Why would anyone care about strangers more than themselves (unless you are Mother Theresa) I and I would think most people would think about their own family and themselves first.''

TBH I am sick to the back teeth of the accusation of 'virtue signalling' whenever caring for anything is mentionned. What is the word or words that should be used for the opposite, I wonder.

And since when does caring for ones family, means that you somehow don't have to, or want to, care for others less fortunate? We are talking here about paying a bit more tax to help raise the standard of education of all, to ensure the NHS is properly funded, and that those who somehow have fallen on bad times, be it due to health, or lose their jobs, or sickness, handicap, etc, etc - are supported and helped, if possible to get back on their feet and contributing again.

And from a very selfish point of view- if you don't care about the above - when society will become so divided, and the have nots see no chance of ever of getting back on their feet and have absolutely nothing to lose - then we will have to live behind electrified fences with armed guards- as in the suburbs of Jburg or even Cape Town. Is that what would want for your grandchildren? I don't, for sure.

Doing what is 'best for your family' goes way beyond your family and circle- but affects the whole of society. Why is it northern countries understand this- and the UK does not? The UK is still riddled with prejudices from its own history and past, sadly.

timetogo2016 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:22:16

CoolioC is spot on.
I think about those ladies when any elections are on.
I make a point of voting in honour of them tbh.

Eloethan Thu 12-Dec-19 11:25:54

lemongrove On a News and Politics forum and a thread regarding this general election, I think it's perfectly acceptable for whitewave to express her opinion. She has stated quite clearly that she is biased so I can't see what your issue is.

I am biased too and I agree with her. The performance of a local MP is important but what that MP can do with regard to constituents' welfare will be very much constrained by the government that is in power as they determine what money and resources are available to councils.

blondenana Thu 12-Dec-19 11:32:35

I am voting but it wont be for the Conservatives

NotTooOld Thu 12-Dec-19 11:50:04

I've just done the voteforpolicies.org questionnaire recommended by Lucca as it seems a good idea for an undecided voter such as myself. My results are Labour 25%, Tory 25%, Greens 25% and Brexit 25% so I am still stuck. It does rather focus the mind, though, so worth a go if you are still a fence sitter.

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 11:51:37

Firecracker123 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:40:00
GagoJo
Virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings.

Thanks for explaining to the English teacher.

I DO NOT vote for what is best for me. I do what is best for the 'have-nots' in the country. I guess you don't.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:54:13

Incredibly busy turnout.

humptydumpty Thu 12-Dec-19 12:02:04

Hopefully that's good news - and quite surprising if the weather elsewhere is as it is here (popuring down!)

humptydumpty Thu 12-Dec-19 12:03:12

sorry pouring!

blondenana Thu 12-Dec-19 12:04:29

No one from any party has been seen, i don't know anyone who has had any posters or any letters,visits or anything else from any party except labour, and that was only a letter,and poster, none of the others have bothered at all
No idea who they are even

jannxxx Thu 12-Dec-19 12:04:37

to be honest i see the country doomed with wither of them, i picked out what i like about each policies and voted that way,

cupaffull Thu 12-Dec-19 12:05:43

Some folk have SUCH short memories....Labour bankrupt the country last time they were in.....they are very good at giving away money/promises and who the hell is going to pay for it all?
Labour can't organise their way out of a paper bag let alone run the proposed Nationalised Rail and Utility Companies. Its frightening! Look at the mess they made of the GP's contracts...more money for less work.
Share prices and the £ will tank, pension funds will suffer as result. Europeans will leave as the £ is worth less- which will affect public services . Large companies will just leave, entrepreneurs thwarted and why should we pay for free university education for those who potentially have a future higher income? Thats of course if youngsters chose a decent challenging degree not one that just massages their egos.
Regards Scotland, nobody ever mentions that the Scots get a disproportionally higher per capita payment than the rest of the UK? Their deficit is 7% England is 1%.
Yes we have all had austerity, the country is creaking at the seams, and its time to loosen the pursestrings now interest rates are low but to even think of having a fiscally incompetent Labour Government scares the pants off me.

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 12:09:17

DH has just returned from doing a stint outside the polling station telling for the Libdems. The only other teller was for the Conservative Party. She was handing out mince pies to voters on their way in. When DH told her that was illegal she offered him one, but he declined, saying he could not be bribed!

travelsafar Thu 12-Dec-19 12:11:53

I did it but have come away not feeling sure that i have done right. Sad day for me as i have always had confidence in my political choices.sad

mcem Thu 12-Dec-19 12:24:08

Cup what an awful post! Unfounded and ignorant rant.
If the buffoon follows through with his "promises" do you think he'll fund everything from his own pocket?
Get a grip and get informed !

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 12:37:12

When DH was telling a voter came in holding two polling cards - both with her name and address but different numbers. She said her husband had also got two, Fortunately she knew it was illegal to vote twice and so reported it to the polling clerk. It is a bit worrying that this may be happening elsewhere and some folk do vote twice.

ayse Thu 12-Dec-19 12:41:13

Labour did not bankrupt the country. The subprime market in the USA run by the banks started the problem. Our banks were implicated and we had bail out RBS! The meltdown was worldwide. Just because something is repeated over and over does not mean that it’s true!

moggie57 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:42:07

had some woman knock on my door today .saying let me in .i want to talk to you about the labour party for my area....told her its my choice who i vote for,and its a shame they havent got a CHRISTIAN party. told her .you all promise things and we never get them.

moggie57 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:45:27

is your cupaffull half empty or half full..?. the only reason i wont be voting labour because of brexit and the disturbing views about the jewish people.cons promise all and we get higher taxes while they swan around in luxury..

Suerussell Thu 12-Dec-19 12:49:04

Voting Labour! Can’t wait to see the back of this cruel Tory Government.