Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queues at polling stations

(76 Posts)
ayse Thu 12-Dec-19 11:53:30

I think this is worth a mention as it is all over Facebook and has been mentioned on other threads.

This is good news that so many more people are voting whatever the outcome. Our ancestors worked so hard for universal suffrage.

Fennel Thu 12-Dec-19 19:30:10

I thought it it was a very cheap ploy of johnson to take hi poor little poodle cross to the polling station.

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 19:35:50

Aw Fennel how could you resist voting for a party whose leader has such a sweet little dog?

Oopsminty Thu 12-Dec-19 19:37:48

Why shouldn't he take his dog?

I took mine

I despair of politics in our Internet society.

Childish nonsense from all quarters

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 19:50:52

Did you take your dog for a photo-opportunity Oops?

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 20:10:45

I hope the turn out today is high. Then, whatever the result tomorrow, no-one can blame apathy.

edmontonkitty Thu 12-Dec-19 20:18:26

I’m very unhappy that you have to announce your name and address so that everyone queueing behind can hear!

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 20:21:22

What is the problem with that? You don't have to say how you intend to vote.

Labaik Thu 12-Dec-19 20:22:48

I didn't particularly like the way he handled the dog; ok he was asked to pick the dog up but the dog didn't look comfortable with him [don't blame him...].

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:26:43

My dog was always ready for a photo opportunity.

You have always had to give your name and address so that you can't just wander in off the street and vote twice!! or more.

How old are you edmontonkitty? Was this your first vote?
I remember mine although it was many years ago.
I had to wait quite a long time as you had to be 21 and then wait for the next GE.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:27:37

Some dogs are not 'picking up dogs'
Daft reporter I would say.

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 20:32:09

The first time I was entitled to vote in a general election I was 24 and a half. I had graduated from University when I was 19 then worked (and paid taxes) for five years and I was married with a child.

Chestnut Thu 12-Dec-19 20:34:09

looking at photos, it seems 1000s of young people turning up
There were rumours about a Labour activist encouraging students to vote at home and at university. I sincerely hope that is not possible. It is a criminal offence I believe and needs to be strongly dealt with.

Granny23 Thu 12-Dec-19 20:43:41

When I did my stint (12noon to 14.00) at the polling station today it was the busiest I have ever seen it, which was good for me as no other party had a rep there, but I had a blether with many of the voters, which helped to pass the time. When I passed on the numbers who had voted to the Party Hub they said that was well up on the same time at the past two elections and the same was being reported from all the other stations in the Constituency.

Although sleet and hail was forecast it remained dry but very cold, with snow on the tops of the hills. I was very pleased when I opened the party representatives pack to find that the organiser had included ''press and they heat" hand
warmers for our comfort. You may remember that my DH was denied the right to vote because he is in a care home now and deemed to have lost capacity. Well, a young friend of a friend who calls herself an 'airhead' and has never voted before, having heard the story, turned up to vote 'to replace the vote that DH was denied' Was that not a lovely thing to do? smile

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 21:09:30

Voter intimidation in Bristol. Police called out 3 times to deal with it. Sorry I have no more details. (It WASN'T on FB that I read about it).

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 21:35:17

Anyone else seen Diane Abbott outside the polling station in shoes of two left feet - mismatched black loafers. One with a tassel, on without. Both left shoes!! Looks really odd.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:37:33

Photoshopped

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 21:37:42

Here they are!

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 21:38:21

It was in the a Telegraph.

Labaik Thu 12-Dec-19 21:40:04

Felt sorry for the workers at the polling station; as well as having to be there since 7 this morning they then have to do the count and stay for the speeches, when all they want to do is go home to bed. It's freezing in the village hall, too. I offered to go home and get them a hot water bottle, but they already had one!

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:40:46

grin

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:41:09

that was re the picture

Starblaze Thu 12-Dec-19 21:43:05

Just waiting for the exit polls to go to sleep

Sussexborn Fri 13-Dec-19 03:32:10

They are paid quite well. My brother and a friend sometimes do it. Very boring and quite chilly as the door was open. I don’t know if I still the case but they couldn’t leave the building. My brother had to go into is police officer mode with one man who kept taking photos even when told it was illegal.

Quite steady at our church hall. Surprised as it was torrential rain for most of the day.

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Dec-19 07:03:44

Up here in Scotland, I don't think the turnout at my constituency was very high(judging by folk on social media calling for voting to be made compulsory and criticising poor turnout). I went at 1pm to vote. One very frail elderly lady in front of me. Then a lady about late 40s behind me. So 3 in all. On leaving 2 men in their 30s came through the doors. Never saw another soul. I live in a very large town and was really surprised at the lack of people. Compared to the pictures of queues of voters down south, I could not understand why our polling place was so quiet. Unless many people were voting before or after work?

Willow500 Fri 13-Dec-19 07:06:46

The car park was full at our polling station but when we got inside we were the only ones in there - can only assume the rest of the vehicle owners were attending the Slimming World class going on next door!