Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC exit poll

(354 Posts)
Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 22:02:02

They reckon a huge majority for the tories!

pinkquartz Fri 13-Dec-19 00:31:44

Corbyn never said his position on Brexit.....
why not?

Opal Fri 13-Dec-19 00:46:35

Because he thought the British public could be duped. It was too big an issue to get away with not taking sides, either you're for or against Brexit, he tried to play both and it backfired.

annep1 Fri 13-Dec-19 01:17:21

Oh God I am so sad if this is true. A lot of ordinary people are going to suffer. What is wrong with this country?
Even if JC goes and Labour win next time it will be too late. We'll have had another term of the Tories uncaring government. ?

annep1 Fri 13-Dec-19 01:23:37

Anniebach 1983 - I feel sick at the thought.

janipat Fri 13-Dec-19 01:38:45

Jeremy Corbyn needs to hang his head in shame. His pussyfooting around Brexit and every other issue has let Boris Johnson in with such a majority this country is totally screwed. If Labour had shown any guts they'd have walked it, but heyho, the party comes before country. angry

annep1 Fri 13-Dec-19 01:41:51

Agree. Bit late getting rid of him now!

Grany Fri 13-Dec-19 01:43:44

ms c #GTTO??
@carmel_prescott
Feeling really sorry for all the dedicated nurses and doctors whom openly campaigned against giving the Tory’s 5 more yrs to finally finish off the NHS . I’m guessing some will now emigrate .

Grany Fri 13-Dec-19 01:46:19

@helenmallam

Lie, hide, insult the working classes, be racist, be homophobic, destroy public services, give tax breaks to the stinking rich, make kids go hungry, wreck the NHS, destroy real jobs, risk the future of the planet and the uk will reward you.

This is who we are. #UKElection

POGS Fri 13-Dec-19 02:34:29

I can't remember Gransnet so devoid of the usual activist posters.

It certainly is an interesting night.

QuaintIrene Fri 13-Dec-19 02:36:14

Just been told the residents of Port Solent are sounding the horns on their yachts to celebrate.
?

POGS Fri 13-Dec-19 02:48:29

Very sorry Ex Labour MP Frank Field has lost his constituency.

He battled Militant Tendency but couldn't win against Momentum.

Namsnanny Fri 13-Dec-19 02:51:19

Your right POGS where are they?

gmarie Fri 13-Dec-19 02:54:57

Keeping track here in the US and feeling sick here, too. I feel like I live in the TWILIGHT ZONE where lying, intolerant, misogynistic, racist, philandering buffoons like BJ and DT are elected and revered. angry Here, Trump is on the verge of being impeached and yet his poll numbers went up and the conservatives in congress lie for him, promote conspiracy theories and denigrate once hallowed institutions. I feel like I'm stuck in a bad dream and can't wake up.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 13-Dec-19 03:05:57

I think John Bercow sums it up well. We have moved from the traditional socioeconomic voting to identity politics. The interesting time will come when we see the swath of now right-wing, white working-class who supported Brexit see what else Johnson has in mind for them. So we have this move here, in the USA and less so but also in Europe. Heaven help us.

gmarie Fri 13-Dec-19 03:23:40

John Lenin's "Imagine" just started playing on the radio and it's making me cry. Darn it. sad Having a bad week I guess.

gmarie Fri 13-Dec-19 03:24:40

Cr@p. Lennon

POGS Fri 13-Dec-19 03:33:43

Corbyn will not fight another election as Leader.

Interesting to see if far left retain hold on party or the penny will drop.

I guess over to Momentum and Unite.

Sorry to see Labour MP Caroline Flint has lost her constituency.

POGS Fri 13-Dec-19 03:45:40

Blimey. Jo Swinson lost by a whisper.

Labaik Fri 13-Dec-19 04:08:14

And Johnson still spewing out lies in his acceptance speech; 40 hospitals my **! Some bloody decent MP's have been lost to British politics tonight.

POGS Fri 13-Dec-19 04:36:12

Blimey hard to keep up with it all, coming in so fast all night.

Some really big names have lost their seats.

Rockingchair Fri 13-Dec-19 04:59:27

To quote my Grandmother "We're in a right bugger's muddle now".

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 05:01:56

Alan Johnson put his finger precisely on why Labour have been hammered tonight. It says something when John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn are more terrifying to the British public than Brexit.

QuaintIrene Fri 13-Dec-19 05:08:52

Well, now we know.

Ginny42 Fri 13-Dec-19 06:21:50

Now we know indeed QuaintIrene. I'm shocked at the level of abandonment of the LP in the North East. Sad that the British public have such different ideals of morality required in their PM. Their manifestos counted for nothing and in the end it was Brexit, so now it is a done deal.

Johnson was correct, he didn't have to appear in debates to explain his plans or the Tory manifesto beyond repetitive soundbites.

I know many will be rejoicing and understand that, but it's bad for the already poor. Watch for the promises coming to fruition now.

jura2 Fri 13-Dec-19 06:22:21

The Great Britain I love has just become the 51st State.
Shiver- feeling sick.