Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC exit poll

(354 Posts)
Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 22:02:02

They reckon a huge majority for the tories!

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 23:08:01

Tactical voting went well...

pinkquartz Thu 12-Dec-19 23:09:02

This result is on Corbyn.
and Mcdonnell
2 opaque old men.
Labour needed younger blood and a clear position on the Brexit issue.
Diane Abbott didn't help.
Why did Labour throw it all away?

Can we sink any lower than a liar for PM?

How much trouble are the vulnerable in now?

MerylStreep Thu 12-Dec-19 23:09:28

Inkcog
Was your post @23.05 directed at me?

Ginny42 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:10:14

So be it. I am sad because I fear for those who will suffer most. That I'll be alright Jack doesn't make me feel better, it just makes me sad that some people already struggling will have a more difficult life now.

There is no doubt in my mind that it's a Brexit vote and that's why BJ could afford to refuse to engage in debate, hide in a fridge etc. He knew the Brexit vote would get him through. Brexit should have been dealt with before an election.

pinkquartz Thu 12-Dec-19 23:10:48

inkcog

you are not a gran that explains a post on another thread. You didn't understand what I was saying.
Are you a mum?

Ginny42 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:12:51

I don't think you can blame Dianne Abbott. It was that for some reason Starmer et al were kept out of the limelight and JC was a one man band.

pinkquartz Thu 12-Dec-19 23:13:02

what future for the vulnerable disabled without a private income?

pinkquartz Thu 12-Dec-19 23:14:15

I am not blame just her...it was those three.
I was telling friends a year ago that Corbyn was going to lose the election,

Diane Abbott is not an OK person IMO...I have seen her talking. ugh

Labaik Thu 12-Dec-19 23:15:54

I still think there are going to be a few shocks in store tonight....

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 23:19:54

Please let this be the end of Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott and Momentum's grip on the Party.

Dinosaurs.
We need a Labour Party for the 21st century.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 23:22:45

Grandad we all thought that New Labour was the end of the old Labour Party and it was for many years.

We need to look forward to the future, not back to the past.

Chestnut Thu 12-Dec-19 23:25:04

The only two Labour politicians I've ever liked have been Jonathan Ashworth and Alan Johnson. Can't stand the rest of them and most of the women are gobby loudmouths.

Chestnut Thu 12-Dec-19 23:33:40

Just been looking at the queues of students voting. Youngsters are often hoodwinked by Labour, so don't count your chickens before they're hatched folks.

Smileless2012 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:34:36

Blythe Valley has gone to the Conservatives a good indicator that the exit poll has got it's sums right.

Off to bed nowmoon

blondenana Thu 12-Dec-19 23:39:12

Who votes these people in, goodbye NHS for sure, probably bring back foxhunting too, it was a foregone conclusion really
More austerity to come,

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:45:45

I believe that the statement that Caroline Flint has made demonstrates all that is wrong in the Labour Party. She is blaming Corbyn for all that has gone wrong in the Labour Party. However, Jeremy Corby has been elected to the Labour Leadership twice with the largest vote ever achieved in any Labour leadership contest.

However, many within the Parliamentary Labour Party have never got behind that vote to fully support Corbyn's election and the policies that were then brought forward.

Brexit has obviously been a large factor in this election but the disunity in the Parliamentary Labour Pary has been a longstanding and far more damaging factor over the last two years.

The above is why I believe the broader Labour movement will "pull the plug" on the existing Labour Party in the coming year in favour of a fresh political strategy.

maddyone Thu 12-Dec-19 23:49:11

If the exit polls are correct, then I think the election was about two things, one was Brexit, and the other was Jeremy Corbyn. Some people ask how anyone can trust BJ. I ask how anyone can trust JC? Labour needs to move to the centre otherwise they’re unelectable.

quizqueen Thu 12-Dec-19 23:54:36

I don't like this 'counting your chickens...' business but if the predictions of the exit polls are correct, it looks like we did know what we were voting for in the 2016 referendum after all. Even after over 3 years of constant name calling and scaremongering and lots of older voters dying off, we still haven't changed our minds.

I don't expect there will be any apologies for all the name calling though from any Remainers. I expect they'll say we didn't know why we voted for Boris either. It must be those pesky Russians again.

Opal Thu 12-Dec-19 23:54:44

Am I dreaming, or is this the first ever politics thread where the usual shouters are eerily quiet? ............ smile

JenniferEccles Thu 12-Dec-19 23:55:26

This is fantastic. I thought it would be ok but there was always that nagging worry.

I don’t think it was Brexit, it was Corbyn . There was clearly no appetite even among traditional Labour voters for his Marxist views.

We are so relieved. There was so much at stake. Labour would have ruined the country.

Thank goodness enough people realised that.

Starblaze Fri 13-Dec-19 00:03:19

Busy being utterly horrified

Urmstongran Fri 13-Dec-19 00:08:33

Brexit Party taking votes away from Tory. Splitting the vote and Labour the beneficiary.

Ginny42 Fri 13-Dec-19 00:16:29

So if the SNP achieve those predicted 55 seats, plus Lib Dem MPs, the Tory exit plan isn't going to get through Parliament is it? Am I being dim?

Opal Fri 13-Dec-19 00:28:31

I'm not sure that's the case JE, I think this WAS about Brexit. If it was just about Corbyn, the Labour support might have drifted across to the Lib Dems, but it is unlikely they would have considered moving to the complete opposite of what they usually vote for, i.e. Conservative. The fact that the Tories were the only party committed to delivering Brexit has had a huge impact.

pinkquartz Fri 13-Dec-19 00:31:17

Of course it was Corbyn and McDonnell.
Apart from the hard left supporters all other people found him too scary plus the fact that
he would not give his stand on Brexit.
Also I think the time of old men is over.