Gransnet forums

News & politics

So now we know

(473 Posts)
Tooting29 Fri 13-Dec-19 06:48:43

All the hyperbole, the grandstanding the rhetoric all over. We have a result and the British public have spoken. We have a conservative government.
Are we surprised?

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 07:55:03

Fact is, we live in a right-wing dictatorship now. The media strangle-hold is SO strong, with the addition of a non-politician running things behind the scenes, there IS no impartiality in British politics anymore. It is impossible to get a fair run for anyone other than those supported by the right wing. The BBC is state run propaganda. The papers are business run propaganda. Social media algorhyithms are sold off to the highest bidders, which are the rich media/business moghuls.

It's a horrible situation, but being totally disenfranchised is freeing in a way. I've lived in China. Time to accept we have no more control over who rules us than they do and disengage emotionally.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Dec-19 07:55:08

I am a happy bunny this morning tchgrin

maddyone Fri 13-Dec-19 07:55:32

Urmstongran, I’m so very happy that the anti democratic Jo Swindon has lost her seat.

maddyone Fri 13-Dec-19 07:56:04

Me too GrannyGravy.

sunseeker Fri 13-Dec-19 07:59:29

Even now Corbyn refuses to believe he was the cause of Labour losing so badly. In his speech he said he believes his policies are very popular! Yes Jeremy that's why so many Labour voters deserted your party.

I do not agree with those who are saying this result will be a disaster for UK. Time for those who lost to stop crying and start being positive about the future

Jane10 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:00:01

Yes. I think the message from the great British public is just - get on with it. Sick of the stalemate holding everything up. Boris's speech was good. Humble and grateful but cheerful and optimistic. Jokes too. He's a most unusual prime minister!
Re Scotland : its hard to understand why anyone would vote SNP knowing how bad their record in government actually is. This result is a dream come true for them - they'll not be forced to put independence to the vote again while Boris is in power and they can continue to blame Westminster for everything. If Ruth Davidson had been standing they'd have had a big fright. She's talking of standing for Westminster in a few years time. Fingers crossed!

Oopsminty Fri 13-Dec-19 08:04:33

I thought that the press was really against Boris.

The fridge business. The little boy in hospital.

Very critical of Boris

I'm amazed that he's won so decisively

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:05:25

Opal, half my family are English. The other half are Scottish but I had English and Irish grandparents. For me personally I'd be heartbroken to leave the UK. I holiday in England and sometimes Wales every year. Have been made very welcome in both countries. In my own circles, there are a few who do want Independence, but the majority of my family and friends want to remain British and Scottish. I can only speak for my own circle. The SNP definitely do not speak for everyone and they also forget that over a million Scots voted to leave Europe. Our public services are falling apart up here. However, for somè strange reason everything seems to be blamed on Westminster. I really do not understand the result in Scotland at all. The moaning about the state of our health service, but who do they think runs it? I know many people seem to think Scotland is some kind of land of milk and honey. Believe me it isn't. The poverty is unreal, food banks,big issues with drug deaths, long waits for hospital appointments, similar for mental health services,morale of emergency services is low
Don't start me on the state of the new Sick Children's Hospital that is lying empty or the new hospital in Glasgow that seems to have constant issues. Yet still, SNP get voted in. Im sorry not to give you a clearer answer Opal. I really do not understand how they keep getting voted in. Yet, I see constant complaints about them. Perhaps it was about Brexit, I really don't know.

merlotgran Fri 13-Dec-19 08:07:30

A good day for democracy.

maddyone Fri 13-Dec-19 08:07:36

Alan Johnson, a very respected Labour member and ex MP said that Corbyn has been ‘disastrous’ for the Labour Party and that he ‘couldn’t lead the working class out of a paper bag.’
That just about sums it up.

TheReadingRoom Fri 13-Dec-19 08:07:44

Not quite the result I was expecting but I am also a happy bunny this morning tchsmile

maddyone Fri 13-Dec-19 08:07:55

Agreed Merlot.

Davidhs Fri 13-Dec-19 08:15:23

No surprises that Brexit was the only real issue, it was a surprise to me that the level of rejection of Corbyn in Labour areas.
Now that Boris is not hamstrung by his own extremists and DUP we can move on and get a sensible Brexit, we will see how it all pans out.

Grandma70s Fri 13-Dec-19 08:15:46

I dislike Jeremy Corbyn almost as much as I dislike Johnson, so there was not going to be a good outcome for me. Corbyn would have been preferable, though, because he is nowhere near as sleazy as Johnson. I was expecting a hung parliament.

How did you bring yourselves to vote for someone with so little honesty and decency? I expect you think of yourselves as upright citizens. I honestly don’t understand.

Daisymae Fri 13-Dec-19 08:18:16

I am surprised by the majority. Sad day for many people but maybe we have the government that we deserve. I think Corbyn should go now and labour need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Opal Fri 13-Dec-19 08:18:55

F50 thanks for your response. I am English with Welsh ancestors. Love both Wales and Scotland, as well as England. Beautiful countries. I'd be very sad if Scotland left the UK, but respect the right of the Scottish people to determine their own future. I hope they don't vote for it though.

Iam64 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:20:39

As a life time Labour voter I'm devastated for the poor, the working poor and the marginalised. Also, for any of us who may need public services like the police, NHS, social care, education because 10 years of tory government has begun their demolition.

I despair that the Momentum line is to blame the right wing press, someone here posting they don't believe the result. Anyone involved in this campaign will have heard on the doorsteps the comment "I couldn't vote for Corbyn".

Many decent Labour campaigns just repeated we're asking you to vote for X our good local MP. In our area, that didn't work, we now have a tory who doesn't live here, has no connection to our area, has never lived here and have lost our good MP.

Jo Swinson lost her seat. The only positive I can take from the result is that the centre left needs to shape up and kick the Momentum lot out.

Maddyone, I saw the Johnson interview. Wish I could do links as it's worth a watch.

TwiceAsNice Fri 13-Dec-19 08:21:22

Hurrah! Thank goodness for that and that the British public finally showed that they thought Corbyn a pathetic, but dangerous man. Brexit will be done now and we can look forward to doing good things for the country now the B word is not being fought over all the time.

So Jo Swinson thought she could win, the people didn’t think so !

Sara65 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:22:10

Grandma

I feel like you, except I dislike Corbyn marginally more than Johnson. Both men I find truly horrible.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Dec-19 08:22:39

I'm very relieved at the result and surprised at the large majority: I'm sure many will have voted against years of dithering and stalemate that could have ensued. Parliament can at last move on.I shall be interested to see how Boris handles the SNP.

Gaunt47 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:25:16

There will demands soon from people wanting another election, because we all obviously did not know what we were voting for smile

CoolioC Fri 13-Dec-19 08:26:21

Fiachna50
I am English living in the EU and have family in Scotland. I cannot understand how the Scots can afford free Dentistry, free prescriptions etc and who is financing this? A different system for benefits. I too cannot understand how the SNP continue to gain.

Nicola Sturgeon won on a bank of lies, talk about Boris! What part of “No” doesn’t she understand from the EU, they don’t want a debt ridden country, they told her that when she went to visit them and still came out smiling like a Cheshire Cat. Can’t stand the woman.

CoolioC Fri 13-Dec-19 08:29:00

Granny Laine
I hope he ignores the silly woman.
Gaunt 47
LOL, Miller will have to get her purse out again.

LadyGracie Fri 13-Dec-19 08:29:08

Great day.

maddyone Fri 13-Dec-19 08:29:18

Iam64, I’m rubbish at links too.

I do feel for people who are disappointed with the result, although for me it is a good result. But everyone needs to accept just how awful Corbyn is, and sort out the Labour Party. For me, Corbyn would have been a dangerous leader, and I’m relieved that he is going.