Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the remainers admit defeat?

(341 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 12:27:27

I have always said that if there was another referendum the country would vote to leave again. We have voted to leave the EU three times!

2016 Referendum - the country voted to leave
2017 General Election - Hung parliament and a bit of a hiccup due to Theresa May running a poor campaign.
2019 European Election - the country voted to leave when the Brexit Party turned the country Brexit blue.
2019 General Election - the country voted to leave with a massive Conservative majority.

How many more times does the country need to say we want to leave the EU?

Welshwife Fri 13-Dec-19 15:53:34

The troubles in NI were caused by the fact that The six counties did not want to be joined to Eire - not exactly a default position!

endlessstrife Fri 13-Dec-19 16:13:58

There’s 70, 000,000 people in the country Bluebelle, but they can’t all vote, eg children, the mentally ill, those who chose not to, etc.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 13-Dec-19 16:15:11

I could accept leave if we had some trade agreements in place or could still trade with the EU. Otherwise it seems so stupid to leave such a large trading block for what?

GrandmaMoira Fri 13-Dec-19 16:17:19

Chestnut - whilst some Remainers have been rude about Leavers, Leavers have also been rude about Remainers. We know that Brexit will go ahead now and many think it a good idea, but I am still most unhappy at what I, and many others, see as a disaster with our country becoming much poorer and a worse future for our children and grandchildren. We are going into a dark tunnel, not coming out of one.

Grammaretto Fri 13-Dec-19 16:30:47

Why don't people vote? 67% voted which is only 2 thirds of those eligible. 31 million
Even friends of mine had to be reminded there was an election yesterday. They are totally switched off.
Should voting be compulsory or is that another thread?

At least people on here care about what happens even if they don't agree.

ginny Fri 13-Dec-19 16:37:11

I voted remain and would do the same if I were to vote again but I accepted the outcome 3 years ago in the same way I accept yesterday’s vote. So I wish people would stop saying the opposite.

oldgimmer1 Fri 13-Dec-19 17:56:21

@grammareto I agree.

67% turnout is shocking (even though we're probably missing the point).

Summerlove Fri 13-Dec-19 19:06:34

67% is pathetic and Sad.
People who choose not to vote baffle me

Doodledog Fri 13-Dec-19 22:22:59

I am so sick of talk of winning and losing, or admitting defeat.

This is not a game, it is something that a lot of older people have foisted on a lot of unwilling young people, who bitterly resent it. It has soured relations between the generations, probably for most of our lifetimes, and, as such, will impact on the old age of many, many people, and will have a huge impact on people who were too young to have a say in the referendum.

It may or may not turn out to be as bad as a lot of people fear, but it is incredibly dismissive and contemptuous not to at least acknowledge that those fears exist, and are very real for those who hold them.

It doesn't matter whether Remainers accept the situation or not. We are having it thrust upon us against our will, and are expected to sit back and see the UK split up, and our EU citizenships nullified.

If there had been a referendum for making the UK a communist republic (or for banning the speaking of English in favour of Esperanto, or enforcing euthanasia on the over 70s) and the other 'side' got more votes than you did, would you say nothing and refuse to try to alter the situation for reasons of democratic principle, or would you keep trying to get your point of view across until the very last minute?

Yehbutnobut Fri 13-Dec-19 22:38:19

Disasterous deal. Better ones would have been available but this is what we are lumbered with.

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 22:51:20

I think most Remainers already accept that Brexit will happen soon now, after this GE.
You would have to be pretty dozy not to accept it.
That doesn’t mean being happy about it, that’s another thing entirely.

GagaJo Fri 13-Dec-19 22:54:32

Not soon. Not before at least 2021.

Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 23:34:46

There's some very aggressive groups of hard left protestors in London tonight causing mayhem. Waving placards and chanting anti-Boris slogans, in violent clashes with the Police. These people are a disgrace. They really don't understand democracy.

Labaik Fri 13-Dec-19 23:40:17

So, now that Brexit is going to happen will someone please explain to me what exactly IS going to happen because Brexit means Brexit and Brexit is oven ready and will 'get done' but I still don't know exactly what that entails. So can someone fill me in with the details....

BlueBelle Sat 14-Dec-19 05:54:10

No Labaik nobody has a clue it’s all about sleepwalking with an ‘oh ah eh ah ummm’ leading us into the wilderness
We ll only know when it’s done (if it ever is) and then it’s too late
Very very sad day

Yehbutnobut Sat 14-Dec-19 07:03:56

It is a sad day. Not just because we are headed for one of the worst deals ever, which will drag on and on, but because we are a nation of sheep led by donkeys.

EI4G Sat 14-Dec-19 07:06:35

To those leavers who thought that it should have been the end of the matter when they answered a simple 'yes' to leaving the European Union, were and still are, misguided. They demonstrate a complete lack of understanding about the hugely complex matters that experts and academics have found difficult to unravel, regarding our withdrawal from the EU. So, to talk about 'winning' in such a puerile way validates the argument that you really didn't know what you were voting for, or the damage you were unleashing on the rest of the Country.

PamelaJ1 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:20:05

I do find it very odd that most people seem to think that all young people voted to remain.
In our extended family that was so not true.
The ones that work in the city did vote to stay and are very cross.
The others didn’t, they work in various different areas, building and the military to name two.

Curlywhirly Sat 14-Dec-19 07:43:10

In answer to the OP's question - I am a remainer, and accepted defeat back in 2016, not happy about leaving, think it is a big mistake, but accepted that that is what was voted for. My big concern now is what kind of deal Boris negotiates with Trump, lets hope he's up to the job.

NannyJan53 Sat 14-Dec-19 07:48:54

On our Midlands Today local news on the TV yesterday, they asked a man in the street why he had voted the way he did.

The reply? "I voted to get rid of the foreigners" shock

Says it all really hmm

Calendargirl Sat 14-Dec-19 07:52:46

‘ oh, er, ar, umm,’ was noticeably absent in Boris’ speeches yesterday. He sounded confident, passionate and determined. I hope he is now able to achieve all he says he plans to do. Cannot be worse than the last three or so years of wrangling, back biting, stalling.

TwiceAsNice Sat 14-Dec-19 07:56:55

In the referendum I voted to remain. However on Thursday I voted for Boris because I think the Conservatives will do the best for the country. We have to get Brexit done you cannot change the past so I never saw the point of keeping on about it being a bad result, democratically it was what it was and must be accepted . It’s not a democracy if you don’t accept the result even if you don’t like it!

I have voted Conservative all my life. I am not rich, far from it and we were poor in my childhood but I have worked hard all my life and made my life better and made my children’s lives better by giving them all the advantages I could and although not rich either they are certainly not poor, had a good education and have good jobs. Let’s accept where we are going now and make the best of it

Persistentdonor Sat 14-Dec-19 08:07:56

@ Barmyoldbat
I think the history books will show our NHS delivered to the USA, in order to ratify trade agreements with the USA, and that after the UK union has been broken up, England becomes the 51st State of the USA.
But Hey, we have a lying, philandering baboon in number 10, because the electorate who bothered to vote have given him a stonking majority.
So we will sign the papers to leave the EU and suffer years of negotiations.
And yes, I do accept that as the majority decision by the UK's woeful democratic system.

gmarie Sat 14-Dec-19 08:10:25

Very well said, Doodledog

Barmeyoldbat Sat 14-Dec-19 09:00:06

Yes Persistentdonor I completely agree, all in all I am pretty p....d of with the whole subject now and thought of things to come.