Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the remainers admit defeat?

(341 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 12:27:27

I have always said that if there was another referendum the country would vote to leave again. We have voted to leave the EU three times!

2016 Referendum - the country voted to leave
2017 General Election - Hung parliament and a bit of a hiccup due to Theresa May running a poor campaign.
2019 European Election - the country voted to leave when the Brexit Party turned the country Brexit blue.
2019 General Election - the country voted to leave with a massive Conservative majority.

How many more times does the country need to say we want to leave the EU?

GagaJo Tue 24-Dec-19 12:45:54

GraceGranMK3. Couldn't agree more.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 24-Dec-19 12:33:01

Quite shocking the level of aggression here by remainers towards aprilrose. Just typical of all the nastiness that went on before the election, calling her stupid and her comments rubbish.

So obviously Chestnut you think that Will the remainers admit defeat? is the least controversial thread you could start. No bullying of others in that in your opinion? Just the grace of someone who believes themselves to be a winner? Or perhaps the problem is that, like many of us, you can see there are no winners in this outcome. My advice, if you want to save the silly people who make very silly and unjustified comments being told that is exactly what they are doing, is to just but out of causing arguments for a while, give your large wooden spoon a rest letting things settle, so we can see the new battle ahead.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 20:13:41

Snowflake...wink….

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 18:49:45

Dinahmo Of course you haven't bullied her. It's the standard response of a wannabe bully. She doesn't have a rational argument, so she resorts to playground strategies.

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 18:47:02

Good luck with that GrannyGravy. Your version of democracy has given you ownership. Live with it, unless you want to run away like a coward.

Dinahmo Mon 23-Dec-19 18:46:39

Chestnut I can only think that you haven't read all of April Rose's posts . To suggest that Remainers will blame the next tsunami or volcano, etc etc on Brexit beggars belief. I can only think that you have led a very sheltered life if you think I/we have bullied her.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Dec-19 18:39:49

And it goes on.....and on........and on

I think I shall “flounce” off of the political threads for a while.

Chestnut Mon 23-Dec-19 18:33:53

Quite shocking the level of aggression here by remainers towards aprilrose. Just typical of all the nastiness that went on before the election, calling her stupid and her comments rubbish. You talk about 'rational discussion' growstuff and dinahmo but your comments are bullying and childish.
I think aprilrose has probably left this thread due to the way you have spoken to her. You should be ashamed, and at Christmas too.

GillT57 Mon 23-Dec-19 18:23:17

well, your comments implying that in some way the EU was to blame for your unfortunate and unhappy treatment by the NHS really scrapes the barrel AprilRose and I have now realised that absolutely nothing will deter you from your belief in the sunny uplands of post January 31st Britain.

Dinahmo Mon 23-Dec-19 18:13:01

Yes it is. I thought about my comment for a while but in the end i just thought "s-d it!"

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 18:12:55

Exactly Dinahmo. When I joined this site, I had hoped for rational discussion. But alas!

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 18:10:51

It's difficult not to be patronising when people come out with total rubbish.

I'm immune to claims of being victimised by people who advocate kakistocracy.

grin

Dinahmo Mon 23-Dec-19 18:09:41

Aprilrose I've just read your comment 11.18 "the first volcano etc.........." and have rarely read anything so stupid.

Dinahmo Mon 23-Dec-19 18:04:49

Aprilrose I assume from your comments about the NHS that you have private health insurance and can afford to pay for private doctors.

Perhaps you are unaware that if you have a dread disease, such as cancer, you may go into remission but, if it recurs you are usually no longer covered. That is what happened to neighbours of mine and their son. A young man who developed lymphoma (I think - some sort of cancer) and was treated privately. He went into remission, had regular checkups - all clear. Then, shortly after a checkup he became ill again - no more private treatment and so it was the NHS that took over. Sadly he died but his parents, who were very pro private healthcare, could not fault the NHS.

Peoples' experiences of the NHS differ but IMO they are excellent, especially when serious conditions are involved. It may be necessary to wait several hours in A &E sometimes.

That happened to me on one occasion when I had a severe asthma attack. I was taken by ambulance to the resucitation area and all the bays were full. There was a stomach being pumped in one bay, a heart attack in another and I don't know what was going on in the other two bays. They treated me and whilst i was waiting I could hear them talking about the cases coming in. There'd been a pileup on a motorway (I forget which - it was over 40 years ago) and a major fire in an old peoples home and they were waiting for the ambulances to arrive. I was moved to a different area, possibly a corridor and left for some hours. I didn't mind because I'd been treated and was recovering and the staff had a lot of more serious cases to deal with.

aprilrose Mon 23-Dec-19 17:55:00

Dont be so patronising growstuff.

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 17:25:26

aprilrose Never mind, dear, hopefully some kind of sanity will be restored to your thinking and posts in the New Year.

aprilrose Mon 23-Dec-19 16:36:54

As for the Pymannas who you somehow connect with the NHS and the Welfare state. It seems only remainers in my experience have tied those together with being in the EU. What is it your security blanket?

For me the NHS was a non issue. I have my own views about our wonderful NHS ( not). My experience of the NHS over the years we have been in the EU is not one of any comfort.

I will not engage in any dialogue about the NHS because for me the NHS is something I am trying to protect my family from as a result of my experiences.

Fortunately most of us are in good health and have not needed its services and I hope to keep it that way. I have nothing but fear of being at the mercy of the NHS. Throwing money at it is just throwing more good money to a bad service in my opinion. I stress that is my opinion and experience.

aprilrose Mon 23-Dec-19 16:32:26

Labaik, there was never any sympathy in the last 45 years for those who lost their jobs when the EU paid large grants and subsidies to firms to relocate to other EU countries - so why should I have sympathy the other way round now?

As for keeping the peace. No, I dont agree. Peace has been kept by NATO and that has and will continue to be paid for by GB and the US overall. I find the idea of an EU army diabolical to be truthful. It smacks of the rise of Germania.
But lets not go there.

No doubt you have no intention of understanding the plight of all those who have suffered as the EU tightened its centralised grip on comerce and distributed the taxes of others in largesse to areas it favoured whilst cutting out others in need. I had a belly full of the EU and its hamstringing regulations and protectionism and its largess to everyone except those whose jobs it took to give to others in the continental EU - for what good it has done. Still those countries have the highest youth unemployment rates. Still they are beholden to the EU because their currencies are smacked to the ground too - ask Spain, Italy and Greece what that is like.

Jabberwok Mon 23-Dec-19 14:28:54

Whatever the status of the referendum, a majority of MP's signed up for article 50 enshrining it into law thereby making it legal?!

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 14:09:26

And still no sympathy for those people that have lost their jobs already or people that are losing their families because they're emigrating due to Brexit. And if peace in Europe since 1945 isn't a befit of being in the EU well, I can't think of a greater one....

suzied Mon 23-Dec-19 13:34:36

Let those Pollyannas tell us what tangible benefits we are all going to be enjoying. All that extra money for the NHS! Extra police and prisons! Fewer foreign people! Can’t wait- perhaps you could add to the list so we can all “get behind” this marvellous project.! As for those extra jobs directly because of Brexit - extra border guards, extra civil servants, extra advertising to convince us all that extra paperwork and expense is worth it, Not to mention barbed wire for Northern Ireland, , will definitely be outweighed by the Brexit brain drain of medics, scientists, wealth creating HM finance houses etc relocating to EU. Yes it is happening I know of many such cases. Also the decline in any remaining industries - why would any company import car components to the U.K. to be assembled here? But hey we’re leading the EU in food banks .

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 13:22:54

The EU doesn't asset strip businesses. Where did you pick up that snippet of fiction aprilrose?

You own this mess now - just get on with it! No excuses!

Yehbutnobut Mon 23-Dec-19 13:13:07

Oldbat I will apply for a Scottish passport.

Oldbat1 Mon 23-Dec-19 13:05:51

Cost of medicines have already gone up. I hope Scotland gets independent status - we will move across the border.

Dinahmo Mon 23-Dec-19 12:15:09

aprilrose the Commission is accountable to its members. Each state elects its MEPs. they in turn select the Commissioners. We have had an equal share in the decision making process and, along with Germany and France have been one of the more powerful nations. As a respected nation our voice has been heeded despite the machinations of Farage and his ilk.

Some of those rules and regulations, such as employee rights are going to be overturned by the present government and, I believe, that process has already started.
There are many part time employees who have benefitted in the past - such as paid holidays and access to employment pension schemes.

The EU does not asset strip - companies in member countries may well do that but takeovers by and sales of companies to foreign countries can always be stopped, except the UK government has been reluctant to do that. The UK government has also allowed the sale of utilities and rail to foreign companies some of which are owned by their home states. Witness Cobham PLC which is about to be sold to an American private equity group. You may not know that private equity groups buy companies and then sell off the component parts for a profit.