Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit/Election/Bori s/Jeremy Debates.

(26 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 14-Dec-19 11:52:46

Just glancing down the Active thread, I see the number of discussions relating to the above number twelve or so.
I honestly forget which ones I have looked at or contributed to.
I think it’s really time to bring these topics to a close for the time being.
The Election has taken place, we know the outcome. Whatever we all think or feel about it, there is nothing anyone on Gransnet can do about it for the time being.
Please, let’s see a few different things come up and let the News and Politics thread have a well earned respite, it must be exhausted!

Missfoodlove Sat 14-Dec-19 12:38:53

????

GagaJo Sat 14-Dec-19 12:40:00

I agree!

NfkDumpling Sat 14-Dec-19 12:46:08

Go cold turkey you mean? No Brexit threads at all? Where will all that spleen get vented? shock

Chewbacca Sat 14-Dec-19 12:54:26

I agree with you OP, there's no point in rehashing it all now, what's done is done. In any election, some will be delighted with the outcome and some will be despondent.

Callistemon Sat 14-Dec-19 13:48:30

NfkD
tchgrin

Ilovecheese Sat 14-Dec-19 14:16:25

I don't understand these threads wanting to police Gransnet by banning threads the poster does not like. Why can't you just not read them. I have no interest in the many games threads but I wouldn't dream of telling other people to stop playing them.

Baggs Sat 14-Dec-19 15:55:44

nfk, ??

Baggs Sat 14-Dec-19 15:57:41

Spleen and angst and speculation. I guess it's just what some people live on.

Wishing there were fewer spleeny, angsty, politically speculative threads is not "policing", ILC.

Callistemon Sat 14-Dec-19 17:19:12

I took the OP as some wishful thinking rather than a desire to ban any threads.

Have you visited Maw's Christmas angst thread Calendargirl?
It's very funny!

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 18:24:37

Its not banning the threads that OP doesn't like. It is the sheer boredom and total repetition of each political thread.

Currently if you took all the posts from all the poltical threads, threw them up in the air and then allocated them randomly to the different threads when they landed, no one would notice, they are all so samey. I include mine in that description.

At least each game is different and you couldn't randomly allocate the posts on those threads.

I am just waitin for the first to break cover and post a political response to this thread.

Calendargirl Sat 14-Dec-19 18:36:09

I wasn’t suggesting BANNING these threads for goodness sake! I have read and contributed to many of them, but what I meant was, as I think MOnica pointed out, they are all so similar that they merge into one big political hash.
That’s all, just a light hearted observation, or so I thought, but it doesn’t seem to take much to cause umbrage.
Apologies.
Yes, I have looked at the Christmas Angst thread Callistemon!

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 19:31:11

Calendargirl I am on the side of the angels! I think angels have a sense of humour.

lemongrove Sat 14-Dec-19 20:21:06

Calendargirl I agree with you in that we do need a break, at least for a week or two.?
There had to be a post mortem for the LP of course, and a few celebrations for those of us happy with the outcome.
Will be great not to think about politics for a while now though.????

Doodle Sat 14-Dec-19 20:22:43

Will be great not to think about politics for a while. How true.
Who is having turkey for Christmas?tchgrin

Chewbacca Sat 14-Dec-19 21:15:45

Venison here Doodle. And you?

growstuff Sat 14-Dec-19 21:23:09

No, Doodle, Conservative voters would be to tough, chewy and tasteless! grin

Doodle Sat 14-Dec-19 21:59:19

Turkey for me chewy without politics but with roast parsnips. growstuff I’ll have you know my DH thinks I’m very tasty, so there tchgrin (mind you that is after he’s had a few ??)

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 22:09:23

Turkey and gammon for us, or is that too political and should I call it something else?

lemongrove Sat 14-Dec-19 22:10:24

Hmmm. What to have for a festive joint, well, as Labour’s goose is well and truly cooked perhaps we could have that??
May be a bit bland and neutral, but ready to eat at least,
And what doesn’t get gobbled up at Christmas dinner can be fed to Tiddles and Fido.No waste! Very green and eco friendly.

Chewbacca Sat 14-Dec-19 22:14:01

Can't say gammon M0nica; apparently its a derogatory term that's used for older people who vote for a particular party.

A term used to describe a particular type of Brexit-voting, europhobic, middle-aged white male, whose meat-faced complexion suggests they are perilously close to a stroke.

So you're having ham then? tchgrin

Callistemon Sat 14-Dec-19 22:15:53

Well, I've been waiting for phoenix to start the traditional gammon thread.

Gammon, not ham sorry!!

lemongrove Sat 14-Dec-19 22:38:07

Ham? You mean....Hugh Grant?tchgrin Stephen Fry?

lemongrove Sat 14-Dec-19 22:38:50

Anything will do, as long as it’s oven ready.

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 23:08:34

This is a real problem. Is 'ham' any better. Oh horror, will I have to completely restructure Christmas lunch?!