Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big Ben Can Bong For Brexit

(216 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 22-Dec-19 07:29:55

I see in my Sunday paper that the new Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, has said he would allow Big Ben to ring out to mark Brexit on January 31st, ‘If MP’s wish to do that’.
How refreshing that this Speaker seems keen to do his job impartially, so unlike the bombastic Bercow, who did everything in his power to force his own views about Brexit at every turn.

Kerenhappuch Wed 29-Jan-20 19:33:23

How has Lindsay Hoyle got round the practical barriers to bonging Big Ben?

POGS Wed 29-Jan-20 17:56:33

Not particularly Labaik.

I hold no sway with Mark Francois, I hold no sway with the desire to ring Bells on Friday.

Looking silly can be attributed to many things, for example making assertions before the facts are known and name calling which I shy away from .

I am happy as I say that £272.000 has gone to Help For Heroes and that is my main reason for pointing out ' the facts' behind the story as I perceive it.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one I suppose.

Labaik Wed 29-Jan-20 17:00:04

Will you admit that the whole situation makes Francois look pretty silly through, given that it obviously wasn't thought through very well?

POGS Wed 29-Jan-20 16:31:48

Labaik 16.06

That is your perogative.

I for one am glad common sense has been the route taken by Help For Heroes after they obviously gave the situation due diligence.

I hope those who see £272.000 going to an excellent charity will be greater in number than those such as yourself that considers it a mistake.

I think it is a far better use of fund raising than ringing the bells on Friday so I am very happy all round.

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 16:12:26

Susi Duh, you have heard of anonymous, have you? grin

lemongrove Wed 29-Jan-20 16:11:43

Oh what sour puss comments on here!
If Help For Heroes gets the money, that will be a fine thing.??

Labaik Wed 29-Jan-20 16:06:00

'We are not a political charity and we don’t align ourselves with any specific political party and the donation to Help for Heroes is not being used to promote a political agenda or party.' I really have to disagree with that comment....

vegansrock Wed 29-Jan-20 16:04:17

Brexit done toilet paper might be useful

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 15:58:54

anan change one letter and you’ll be spot on?

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 15:44:58

Really? I might buy a "get Brexit done" teatowel as it's so historical

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 15:41:41

Aw bless ?

vegansrock Wed 29-Jan-20 15:40:23

Its not just a tea towel there are fridge magnets and mugs too. Mugs being the appropriate word. These tacky "keepsakes" , grammatically incorrect, are being sold by the Conservative Party.

POGS Wed 29-Jan-20 15:29:32

Labaik / Maizie D

Further to your posts concerning what you appear to think of as ' the stupidity' behind the fund and the connection to Help For Heroes:-

www.helpforheroes.org.uk/news/big-ben-campaign-donations-to-go-to-help-for-heroes/

Extract:-

'Help for Heroes were not involved in soliciting this and were surprised by being named as a potential beneficiary. We are not a political charity and we don’t align ourselves with any specific political party and the donation to Help for Heroes is not being used to promote a political agenda or party.

Our ethical policy is enforced by our Risk & Audit Committee, made up of Trustees and our Chairman. The Committee has reviewed this donation against our ethical policy, and is happy that we are able to accept the funds to help provide vital support to our wounded and their families.'

Common sense prevails.

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jan-20 14:35:32

I don’t think we refer to ‘Boris’ as though he were a personal friend - that would be pretty daft.

However it IS an unusual and short name. We all know who we mean. Couldn’t do it if he were called Michael for example!
?

Greymar Wed 29-Jan-20 14:32:06

I just don't care anymore. Probably not a good thing.

Labaik Wed 29-Jan-20 14:29:02

I think there was a survey done recently that found that many people regard Johnson as some sort of personal friend. Apologies in advance for not finding it, copying/pasting it and putting all the commas/italics etc in the right place.

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 14:00:01

Actually JE I believe it was Oh Jeremy Corbyn. Facts eh?

Ginny42 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:58:40

I'm with Roger McGough. It will quietly pass me by.
I cannot celebrate a worsening of conditions for my family. We will just have to cope as best we can.

Johnson wanted to go down in history as the man who signed the documents. Now he's featured on a tea towel. Classy eh? I truly wouldn't have one given to me.

He's got a problem now with the rash decision over Huawei and MPs possibly voting against the whip, including IDS apparently.

growstuff Wed 29-Jan-20 13:51:58

Whataboutery at its finest! grin

growstuff Wed 29-Jan-20 13:51:22

Labaik I'm just relieved he isn't.

JenniferEccles Wed 29-Jan-20 13:50:20

I suppose you mean because he is often referred to as Boris?

How about all the idiotic calls some months back of. “Oh Jeremy “ ?

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 13:20:16

I am Labaik.

Labaik Wed 29-Jan-20 13:12:52

Anyone else sickened by the way people refer to Johnson as if he were a personal friend [I mean, as if...….]?

growstuff Wed 29-Jan-20 10:53:07

I really wouldn't ever have believed how childish so many people are.

Sparkling Wed 29-Jan-20 08:05:32

Prescriptive text.. Whoever comes after Boris, not votes.