Gransnet forums

News & politics

Country being run by an unelected Rasputin 'advisor' with Russian contacts.

(45 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 12:13:29

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Rasputin at the heart of the British government.

uk.yahoo.com/news/boris-johnson-not-charge-own-104800915.html

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-ex-boss-lifts-20051677

growstuff Tue 24-Dec-19 10:39:22

Good job he's not a Labour MP. He'd be one of the metropolitan elite. If he gets bored of the townhouse or his in-laws, he could always go to the farm he jointly owns with his parents. His "down and out" disguise doesn't fool anybody hmm.

Callistemon Tue 24-Dec-19 09:59:45

£1.6 million town house in Islingston- by London standards just a cheap terraced house then?

growstuff Tue 24-Dec-19 09:19:26

Why should he want to be? He has his own £1.6 million townhouse in Islington and his in-laws have their own ancestral pile, Chillingham Castle.

craftergran Tue 24-Dec-19 06:44:59

Is he invited to Sandringham?

growstuff Tue 24-Dec-19 04:13:19

I'm teetotal lemongrove.

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 22:53:07

Haha! Dinahmo, cat, chickens, c'est moi?

JenniferEccles Mon 23-Dec-19 22:48:56

Wow that old Russian certainly gets around doesn’t he?

I saw him in Surrey early morning so he could have nipped round the M25 to get to Essex by lunchtime easily!!

This is the sort of silly response this thread deserves, isn’t it?

I’m pleased you joined in the fun MerylStreep !!

lemongrove Mon 23-Dec-19 22:40:06

Dina the OP is so funny we could all have predicted what the comments would be.
From a poster who admires China and is a self confessed fan of Corbyn..... and is now casting around for something she considers is outrageous, and from the Daily Mirror, that bastion of truth and light!?

Dinahmo Mon 23-Dec-19 22:32:38

GagaJo Was I right, or was I right?

lemongrove Mon 23-Dec-19 22:28:39

Oh gaga and growstuff give up these silly comments and go and have a glass of Christmas cheer and enjoy yourselves.
Corbyn has bitten the dust, but that doesn’t mean the world has ended ( just the opposite!)
All this talk of Rasputin is journalistic enthusiastic embroidery.?

Fennel Mon 23-Dec-19 20:41:21

If only, Callistemon but they won't. It won't go back to 'Yes Minister'.
We have to get used to the fact that these days politics, like other things, are influenced by media pressures and media celebs more than traditional reality.
Then work out similar ways to oppose, if we want to.

Callistemon Mon 23-Dec-19 19:21:16

He's not St Boris, nor was Jeremy a saint either.

The sooner all sides get rid of these shadowy 'advisers' and get back to the old days where apolitical civil servants who knew their brief helped them fulfil their promises the better.

trisher Mon 23-Dec-19 19:00:42

I seem to remember some comments on here about what a good Tory Ken Clarke was. Apparently he isn't any longer. He's now a disgruntled old man. The fact that he probably knows what he's talking about doesn't seem to matter. What on earth has happened? When did Boris the liar and deceiver become St Boris?

growstuff Mon 23-Dec-19 18:42:56

Leave them to it GagoJo. They own it and have no excuses.

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 18:31:51

Leavers (and Cummings and Boris his lackey) fiddle while the UK burns. The rest of the world watches us allowing the Russian go-bot to control us in incredulity. And some of you thinks YOU'RE the sane ones.

God help us all.

POGS Mon 23-Dec-19 16:32:04

Callistemon

Irony abounds.

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 15:08:02

NOT just leftie ranting. Papers referring to Cummings as Rasputin (to name just a few):

Guardian
Sunderland Echo
Northumberland Gazette
Telegraph
Washington Post
Daily Heil
International (Brazil)
Reuters
Repubblica (Italy)
Euronews

New York Times has DC as Rasputin too. (copied and pasted because it's behind a paywall).

Dominic Cummings was portrayed as the puppet master controlling Prime Minister Boris Johnson at a rally in London on Tuesday.

LONDON — In the melee that was the British Parliament last week, at least one person seemed to revel in the brutal politics of the era of Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

In his customary crumpled white shirt, Dominic Cummings, the prime minister’s chief aide, could be heard cursing over the phone at lawmakers and seen prowling the corridors of Parliament, laying waste to the careers of Conservative politicians who stood in the way of an abrupt withdrawal from the European Union.

He saved some opprobrium for the opposition, too, interrupting a tipsy, late-night stroll to goad the opposition Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, into backing an early election, a Labour lawmaker recounted publicly. “Don’t be scared!” Mr. Cummings screamed.

Throughout the first weeks of Mr. Johnson’s leadership, Mr. Cummings was a shadowy figure, depicted as the Rasputin directing his boss’s scorched-earth strategy to deliver Brexit by Oct. 31, with or without a deal governing future relations, “come what may.”

Callistemon Mon 23-Dec-19 14:18:15

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Milne and Cummings are twins separated at birth?
Except that one has more hair.

POGS Mon 23-Dec-19 14:13:57

I read the thread title and OP mentioning Rasputin at the heart of the government and I thought someone was opening a discussion of whataboutery had Corbyn and Seumas Milne gotten into power.

Callistemon Mon 23-Dec-19 14:12:20

Rasputin was assassinated - what are you thinking should happen GagaJo?

I think Cummings is due to 'leave the building' shortly.

Fennel Mon 23-Dec-19 14:06:07

I was wondering what happened to DC. He used to be in the news a lot a one time, then nothing.
Is he still the power behind the throne?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Dec-19 14:02:25

MerylStreeptchgrintchgrintchgrin

MerylStreep Mon 23-Dec-19 13:57:17

JenniferEccles
Would that be the Leigh on Sea Waitrose? As I'm sure I saw him downing a pint in Leigh old town. Looking at the time you saw him it could well have been.

Beckett Mon 23-Dec-19 13:55:49

Well GagaJo I was going to say that was the most ridiculous thing I have ever read - but I think I should wait for your next post tchgrin

JenniferEccles Mon 23-Dec-19 13:53:37

Wrong growstuff

I am not the one posting thread after thread throwing idiotic accusations at our democratically elected government am I?!