Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Year Honours List

(82 Posts)
Granny23 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:25:03

Ian Duncan Smith, the man that came up with Universal Credit, is to receive a Knighthood.

Let's remember that Universal Credit is currently pushing families into destitution at a rate unseen since Victorian times. It is driving the 80% increase in the use of foodbanks in the last 5 years. It is fuelling a rise in homelessness, it is stopping people for being able to start jobs too. The government has recognised these problems and been repeatedly asked to make changes to the system so that it is less brutal on those who have to claim, but have refused to do so.

Instead, they give the highest honour in the land to the person who came up with such an artful way to persecute those who find themselves in need of help.

This is Tory Britain.

Grany Mon 30-Dec-19 12:32:52

Sorry We Missed You.

growstuff Mon 30-Dec-19 12:40:32

"Sorry We Missed You" is IMO more powerful than "I, Daniel Blake" because it's less dramatic and more grim. It could be a documentary. The family doesn't claim benefits, but anyone who has ever engaged with the zero hours economy will recognise parts of it as directly relevant to their lives.

blondenana Mon 30-Dec-19 12:58:53

Signed and shared, what a horrible man is IDS i wonder who nominated him, ?
So much suffering caused by UC, but i read somewhere it is going to be changed again [got rid of]to a simpler method by this Government

MadeInYorkshire Mon 30-Dec-19 13:17:55

Changed AGAIN? To what cost to the taxpayer, when the DWP openly admits Benefit Fraud and Error figures are -

- the net government loss, after recoveries, was £3.0 billion, or 1.6% of benefit expenditure
- 1.1% of total benefit expenditure (or £2.0 billion) was underpaid due to fraud and error

How much will the cost of new logos and stationery and IT and training be - ridiculous! Just another new way of stealing from the poor no doubt?

GagaJo Mon 30-Dec-19 13:18:21

Grany Mon 30-Dec-19 11:32:26

I wonder how many people who voted Tory and have had to go to A&E over Christmas think it was a good idea voting for the party that took the NHS from an accomplished 2010 fully funded organization to the thread bare , stressed out environment we see since the Tories took over?

I am deeply concerned at the rise of overt & violent antisemitism in the West

It is overwhelmingly rooted in the far-right where support is found for Trump, Bannon & Johnson

(The relentless campaign against Corbyn was based on lies & smears. It has been disastrous for us Jews)

It's the far right you want to be worried about.

You know how we used see citizens of North Korea & Russia who were so consumed by state propaganda, they didn’t challenge corruption or brutality and dismissed those who did as conspiracy theorists and wreckers?

Well, we’re at that point in the movie, England.

The far right are on the rise in Europe Corbyn warned.

Boris Johnson book antisemitic

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-book-jews-control-media-general-election-a9239346.html

5000 fascists from Britain First have joined the Tory Party to strengthen Boris Johnson's grip on power. This group were banned from Facebook for posts like "Islamophobic and proud". They're guilty of other racism too. Let's make no mistake, the UK is governed by fascists now.

EXACTLY Grany! It is terrifying. And the sheep keep on bleating Johnson is a good man, Get Brexit done and can't see what is under their noses.

We SEE it with Trump. We know the right-wing are on the rise there. We see the human rights/racism/white terrorist issues occurring in the US. And yet we are blind to it on our own shores. Why?

Grany Mon 30-Dec-19 21:04:05

That's true GagaJo

@AngelaRayner
I’ve spent today with my son & granddaughter. I turn on the news to see the hate, antisemitism and violence in the US & London. We have to remain vigilant to terrorism & remember that the world is full more of love than hatred.