Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Year Honours List

(81 Posts)
Granny23 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:25:03

Ian Duncan Smith, the man that came up with Universal Credit, is to receive a Knighthood.

Let's remember that Universal Credit is currently pushing families into destitution at a rate unseen since Victorian times. It is driving the 80% increase in the use of foodbanks in the last 5 years. It is fuelling a rise in homelessness, it is stopping people for being able to start jobs too. The government has recognised these problems and been repeatedly asked to make changes to the system so that it is less brutal on those who have to claim, but have refused to do so.

Instead, they give the highest honour in the land to the person who came up with such an artful way to persecute those who find themselves in need of help.

This is Tory Britain.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 13:37:06

Am astounded to find I have been left off the list....yet again this year!
I must write to somebody requesting to know how they managed it.....Gok Wan perhaps.

Grany Sat 28-Dec-19 13:47:35

Christina
@55krissi55
Tory Iain Duncan Smith whose policies were described as causing a 'systematic violation of Human Rights..' by United Nations, has received a Knighthood. The #Queen rewarding people who cause suffering.
#Royals
Feels like the Establishment are trying to wind us up!
#ToryBritain

Grany Sat 28-Dec-19 13:50:39

You Retweeted

Youssef El-Gingihy
@ElGingihy
So NHS chief Simon Stevens knighted for being architect of Nhs privatisation under Blair, worked for decade for biggest US health insurer UnitedHealth where he opposed Obamacare & lobbied for TTIP & then came back to transplant US style healthcare into NHS

grannyactivist Sat 28-Dec-19 14:01:42

I get a bit cross with how these Honours are meted out. My father-in-law has been proposed many times for his 30 years of voluntary service, but without success; yet his work has benefited every Healthcare Trust in the country.

He does his work because he's passionate about improving life for as many people as possible, not for awards (he doesn't know that he's ever been nominated), but I'm glad to say that The Royal College of Psychiatry has recognised his contribution and presented him with their own award. He's a wonderful man.

Marilla Sat 28-Dec-19 14:07:24

I am dismayed and astounded that Iain Duncan Smith has been awarded a knighthood. How is this possible? The misery and hardship brought about by Universal Credit is shocking.

But I also think it is time to overhaul the current honours system. I would be most aggrieved to be given a British Empire Medal in the twenty first century.

MadeInYorkshire Sat 28-Dec-19 14:12:15

IDS - unbelievable! That man to us disabled was the equivalent of Josef Mengele, the bastard .....

This country has definitely gone to the dogs - unreal.

Marilla Sat 28-Dec-19 14:15:45

I so agree MadeinYorkshire. Do you think the knighthood could have been promised to IDS if he didn’t cause ructions during the run up to the election?

Marilla Sat 28-Dec-19 14:19:32

Grannyactivist, recognition from The Royal Society of Psychiatry is a wonderful award to receive and I hope much more meaningful than a gong from the Govt of the day.

PamelaJ1 Sat 28-Dec-19 14:25:48

It seems to me that so many honours are given to people who are ‘just doing their jobs’.
What did IDS, and many others, do over and above what they were supposed to? ( I understand why many of you think he did you damage, I’m just using him as an example)

grannyactivist Sat 28-Dec-19 14:43:23

Marilla thank you. My father-in-law is a very modest man whose passion is to improve the lives of families who are affected by mental illness. I love him to bits and I am very proud of his achievements. He is now of an age when most people would have been retired for at least twenty years, but he still continues to travel the country to speak at conferences, train medics and maintain in his involvement in improving broken systems.

I can't say too much for fear of identifying him, but I was once on a plane and got talking to a Mental Heath nurse who had recently heard my father-in-law speak at a training event. She told me that implementing his ideas had totally transformed the way her team worked. I was so happy to be able to tell him that when I got home.

Charleygirl5 Sat 28-Dec-19 14:49:16

Olivia Newton John a dame? Please just call me dame, I will feel humbled and honoured.

I did not realise until now IDS received a knighthood- dear God whatever next.

MadeInYorkshire Sat 28-Dec-19 14:54:29

Marilla and Grannyactivist

A petition by an NHS Psychiatrist .... please sign and share x

chng.it/b6FJyLJtWT

Marilla Sat 28-Dec-19 15:01:48

Thank you MadeinYorkshire for the link. I have signed and have now shared with family to sign. 👍

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 15:09:02

I think Olivia Newton-John received a dame hood for her extensive work for charity, Charleygirl. She has set up a Cancer Research Institute and is a supporter of many other charities too.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Dec-19 15:47:58

Well, thank goodness the ghastly Bercow didn’t get the peerage he was hoping for!

EllanVannin Sat 28-Dec-19 15:54:51

I bet the Beckhams were waiting in anticipation too.

Ellianne Sat 28-Dec-19 16:20:56

One vote from me for IDS, but then he is our MP and really does get things done in the constituency. As PamelaJ1 says, he is just doing his job, so it could have been any number of others. All very arbitrary.

Aspen Sat 28-Dec-19 16:25:57

How much does this fiasco cost. The "medals" they receive look beautiful.

Charleygirl5 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:27:25

Thank you Callistemon I did not realise she was so involved with charity work.

sodapop Sat 28-Dec-19 16:35:08

The whole system is outdated and not fit for purpose. Always smacks of gongs for the boys/girls.
I am always most annoyed when actors and their ilk receive such recognition -why ?
People like GA's father in law are the ones who should be honoured.

Chestnut Sat 28-Dec-19 16:37:47

I have stopped feeling any emotional response to honours because so many are complete nonsense. People being honoured because they sung a few songs or made a successful movie, when they receive plenty of awards within their own field. They have been meaningless for some time now.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 28-Dec-19 16:46:18

MadeinYorkshire totally agree with you and also signed the petition.

janipat Sat 28-Dec-19 16:54:30

Totally agree Chestnut, they're mostly a complete and utter farce. And when an "ordinary" person does occasionally get an honour for 40 years of selfless unpaid, unadvertised charity work it's always the lowest award. Sail a boat fast for your own satisfaction and they make you a Dame to quote a taxi driver " before she'd even parked the bloody boat!" I'm not saying that achievement isn't remarkable, but who did it help other than the sailor?

Nico97 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:55:39

The only good out of all this was that Bercow wasn't honoured. Still sceptical though that he wasn't because the nominations have to be submitted months in advance so his turn will come at the next round no doubt angry