Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn chanting at NY fireworks

(171 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 16:22:15

I loved the message it sent to the country. We may not have the government we wanted but all those who had a re-energized belief in British politics are still there. Solidarity!

I'm aware the usual naysayers will be on here, hurling abuse. But they don't cancel out that lovely message. If anything, they make it even more important.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jan-20 19:24:53

Was it ‘the crowd’ or ‘a crowd’ ?

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 19:40:53

Missing the point by a mile ladies...

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 19:46:01

........ as did Corbyn!

growstuff Wed 01-Jan-20 20:04:48

Well, they could very well have been voters. After all, the majority of Londoners did vote Labour. I haven't a clue how many people were chanting.

I've written on here (and expressed my opinion elsewhere) what I think about Corbyn. Labour was trounced and I wish Labour supporters would stop making excuses and look to the future.

There are people in this country who desperately need a more caring government with practical and achievable economic and social policies, but Labour needs to get into government. I'm afraid Corbyn has done those people no favours.

growstuff Wed 01-Jan-20 20:07:24

BTW I'm a Merseysider, who has lived in London and the South East for most of my life. I wish people would get over the idea that all Londoners are privileged and elite. They really are not. I don't know whether there have been deliberate tactics to be divisive.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jan-20 20:10:51

I agree growstuff Corbyn lost the election , to blame the newspapers, the BBC etc is not accepting the truth, voters said they didn’t want Corbyn as PM .

Opal Wed 01-Jan-20 20:16:40

Chewbacca grin

Grany Wed 01-Jan-20 20:17:23

Johnson faces hostility wherever he goes. London the NYE fireworks were drowned out by chants of "O Jeremy Corbyn

Royal mail staff in multiple depots witnessed thousands of undelivered postal votes. The postal vote counting was outsourced & opened before election.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jan-20 20:21:47

Is that your argument Grany that somehow the election was rigged? In fact, the polls were just about spot on with the results this time around.
Too few voters wanted Corbyn as PM....and that’s the long and the short of it.

BlueSapphire Wed 01-Jan-20 20:38:41

Well I watched the London fireworks and must have missed the chants (can't bear to write his name). Perhaps I was too far gone on the Cointreau.....

Anniebach Wed 01-Jan-20 20:42:51

The sound of the fireworks were drowned out by chants ?

So SKY and BBC put in the sounds of the fireworks which I heard today ?

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 20:52:13

Well the Express, the Mirror and the Daily Heil reported it. Possibly more, but I can't be a**ed to look.

Think whatever you like 'ladies'. I loved it. Made me happy.

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 20:54:34

I'm struggling to reconcile The Chanters of London who so strongly support Corbyn with the 10,000 people who were canvassed, across Bermondsey, Southwark and Norwich, who gave this response when asked if they would vote Labour, "^There were people who said they knew Boris^ Johnson was a liar and a cheat but they still preferred him over our leader,” Neil Coyle said.

The Observer’s pollsters Opinium have revealed their own analysis of the reasons people rejected Labour: 43% cited the leadership, 17% its policy on Brexit, and 12% its economic policies. Among Labour defectors – those who voted Labour in 2017 but didn’t this time – 37% mentioned the leadership, 21% Brexit and 6% its economic policies. Despite the overwhelming evidence, team Corbyn denies completely that it was the leader who repelled voters.

They still don't. And until they do, nothing will change.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 20:55:23

Grany Wed 01-Jan-20 20:17:23
Royal mail staff in multiple depots witnessed thousands of undelivered postal votes. The postal vote counting was outsourced & opened before election.

Was it you that reported on the 40,000 postal votes received for a village with a population of only about 6,000?

But of course, there was no cheating! (I WISH there were better emoji's on here. I need an eye roll one).

Grany Wed 01-Jan-20 20:55:36

Yes Lemongrove it was rigged in so many ways by the establishment Laura K knew the result of vote before election results. BBC have deleted that from their online news. Theresa May said We will never let you win.

If the MSM came out strongly in favour of JC or just non bias even coverage of both parties what would the result be?

Ok don't answer I know you don't like Corbyn but he is a decent man and respected by many. Johnson says we should be like Hungary goodness knows what we will end up like. Now all about Brexit Jeremy would have shown what is happening to Australia and get the Green Revolution started. The left is where people are, very good polices and where we will grow the Labour movement as in Labour Scandinavian countries.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 20:56:00

Chewbacca, Norwich is 110 miles away from London.

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 20:57:53

The election was rigged???

That's nice! wink

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 21:00:10

I managed to count to 15 before you pointed that out GagaJo! I knew you would!

Yes dear, I know where Norwich is. As I'm sure The Graunian did too, when they printed the article.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 21:00:33

Well, if they're listing Norwich as in London, if DEFO was rigged. Jeez.

Chewbacca Wed 01-Jan-20 21:11:22

To be fair to The Graunian GagaJo, I think they only included Norwich because it was near the top of Labour’s target list and it was thought to be a done deal. Obviously, they were wrong, judging by the responses from residents canvassed!

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 21:13:42

LOL Glad I gave you a laugh.

Norwich is middle class as f***. I'm surprised it was every Labour TBH. I was born there and remember BNP canvassers in the street.

quizqueen Wed 01-Jan-20 21:15:29

Corbyn grew up in a middle class family in a rural 7 bedroom house, was grammar school educated and now lives in the middle of London's homeless in a house worth over a million. Yes, I'm sure he understands the working classes!

I also wonder how many homeless people he has taken into his house and fed on a permanent basis- charity begins at home, doesn't it! There's plenty to choose from on the streets. Perhaps he offers them some salad he has grown.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 21:19:45

quizqueen, the thread was about chanting on NYE.

Move on dear. The election is LONG over

Yennifer Wed 01-Jan-20 21:22:14

Oh Jeremy Corbyn!

ExperiencedNotOld Wed 01-Jan-20 21:29:10

I used to believe that the fairies could make my dreams come true. But then I woke up and started living in the real world.