Gransnet forums

News & politics

Iranian retaliation has begun!

(97 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 08-Jan-20 00:37:07

sad
The Pentagon confirmed that al-Asad air base in Iraq’s Anbar province, and Erbil base in northern Iraq, which both host a US contingent, had been hit by a salvo of more than a dozen missiles launched from Iran.

My heart is heavy tonight for those who have family members out there.

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 12:49:56

The Iranian Foreign Minister has tweeted they will defend themselves but they don't want an escalation or war

Oh well, that's all fine and dandy then - no escalataion will happen hmm

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Jan-20 12:59:12

Ronald Reagan imposes new sanctions in 1987 due to Iran’s actions in the Persian Gulf 1981-1987.

The sanctions were expanded in 1995 to include firms dealing with the Iranian Government.

I believe Barack Obama released some of Iran’s funds whilst he was president.

USA imposing sanctions on Iran is nothing new, DT imposed sanctions after attacks on vessels in the Gulf and “the drone incident”.

Iran has an appalling human rights record and total disrespect for International Law.

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 13:00:03

Ellan, I’m sure there will be more terrorism as a result of these latest developments. It could well occur in Britain and mainland Europe rather than the USA as we are seen as allies to the US and seem to be easier to hit. I hope I’m wrong.

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 13:02:19

SirChenin, let’s hope that the Iranian Foreign Minister means what he says, that there will be no escalation.

trisher Wed 08-Jan-20 13:07:30

If only that's what it was all about GrannyGravy13. Then perhaps the US would be targeting Saudi Arabia whose human rights record is similar with the exception that they are currently bombing the hell out of innocent Yemenis in Sudan, have sponsered Isis and provided all sorts of terrorists with weapons and cash. But the US isn't. Why not? Because actually it's about having an enemy you can pretend are a threat to Western interests when actually they aren't and trying desperately to keep a sphere of influence in the area no matter how many civilians are slaughtered in order to keep you there.
The idea that there is a good guy and a bad guy in this conflict is so infantile. They are both bad guys we are simply being sold one more than another. We really should have learned our lesson by now Vietnam-Vietcong anyone!!!

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 13:07:50

I agree with you GG13, Iran has absolutely appalling human rights. One of my sons is gay, what would I do to protect him if we were Iranian? Iran executes gay people and frequently threatens, arrests, and tortures the family members of gay people.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 13:08:58

I think it’s the unpredictability of the so called ‘lone wolves’ that will inflict the most harm now.

growstuff Wed 08-Jan-20 13:10:45

Does anybody remember Iran Air Flight 655 in 1988? The US Navy shot down the scheduled passenger flight by mistake. All 290 passengers on board were killed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

trisher Wed 08-Jan-20 13:11:48

So does Saudi maddyone welcomed as guests of honour by our RF. That's OK then
If that was the real issue what about these?
Six United Nations member states already impose the death penalty for consensual same-sex acts - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Nigeria, Sudan and Somalia. Mauritanian law allows for a sentence of death by stoning, but the country has a de facto moratorium on capital punishment.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Jan-20 13:14:27

Talking of flights, it was announced this morning that the plane that crashed today had "catastrophic engine failure" even before the black box has been recovered.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Jan-20 13:15:51

Sorry folks but if push comes to shove I would feel safer with the USA than Iran.

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 13:19:39

Trisher, I know that, and I have commented on that fact on other posts previously. I think it’s awful that we entertain the Saudis and others who have appalling human rights by inviting them to state banquets. I find it abhorrent to be honest.
However I was commenting today in response to GG13’s comment,

‘Iran has an appalling human rights record and total disrespect for International Law.’

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 13:21:11

‘.........if push comes to shove I would feel safer with the USA than Iran.’

Absolutely GG13.

trisher Wed 08-Jan-20 13:21:31

And the US sanctions have been condemned by the UN
In 2018, the United Nations International Court of Justice (ICJ) "ordered" the United States to stop the sanctions. The decision was unanimous, and was based on the 1955 U.S.-Iran "Friendship Treaty" that was signed with the government overthrown by the 1979 Islamic Revolution.[42] In response, United States withdrew from two international agreements.[43]

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 13:22:10

I think it’s the unpredictability of the so called ‘lone wolves’ that will inflict the most harm now

Agree. It won't necessarily be the Iranian Govt who will escalate - that will be down to their Govt funded cells. An escalation of one type or another is inevitable. You put an idiot like Trump in charge with an election coming up and this is what happens.

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 13:57:58

Lone wolves - yes, absolutely.

Jabberwok Wed 08-Jan-20 14:07:44

Saudi Arabia bombing Yemenis in Sudan? Really, I haven't heard about that.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 14:11:40

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) has released its annual watch list of countries facing the worst humanitarian disasters in 2020.

Topping the list for the second year is Yemen, where continued fighting, economic collapse and weak governance means more than 24 million Yemenis — 80% of the population — will need humanitarian assistance this year.

rosecarmel Wed 08-Jan-20 14:25:16

Saddam Hussein was eliminated on the basis of past actions- Some insist it was preventive, others claim it was an act of retaliation- The president at that time encouraged the global community not to celebrate the loss of his life, to not give him celebratory status .. despite his own continued center of attention jive and self imposed supposed wokeness .. But that's an aside .. smile Taking out Hussein was looked upon as an "accomplishment" by most-

Qasem Soleimani was actively planning attacks- The president at this time took him out before the attacks were carried out- And despite the fact he's been childish about killing the bad guy, it's what he did- But navigating that level of immaturity at times like this is .. difficult for most, but fun for his base .. the conspiracy theorists that keep his approval ratings in the 40's

After his killing "chatter" increased- Intelligence picked up a considerable amount of communications via phone calls, texting, emails, apps and social media- Due to the emotional response of his killing they learned more about the attacks being planned as well as what new directions they're choosing to move in- Cyber attacks were near or at the top of the list of what to expect next- Nothing about a nuclear response was revealed-

Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 16:53:51

Trump on tv now saying Iran seems to be standing down. Good, let’s hope for some time to reflect calmly and assess.

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 18:05:21

Let’s hope so - and that includes the terror cells who don’t seem to need much encouragement.

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 18:09:33

Trump did everything he could to avoid serving - have any of his darling children served in the Army or Navy?

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 18:37:24

Same as Clinton then Jura, despicable isn’t it?

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 18:45:03

Yes, despicable - as is insulting those who have served. Remind me what Trump said about John McCain again?

rosecarmel Wed 08-Jan-20 22:29:55

He had great difficulty making it through that speech- Sometimes he expresses himself with ease and at other times struggles- He didn't seem prepared and looked like he not only had trouble following the teleprompter but maybe didn't even agree with what he was reading- Whatever the trouble was, he hadn't tweeted much either ..