Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has anybody joined the Labour Party since 2019 Elections?

(59 Posts)
CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 09:04:49

I have just looked at the post/discussion about the Labour Party Leadership candidates and it is now 30 pages long so I hope this does not repeat anything. I am wondering if anybody has decided to join the Labour Party in order to vote for the new leader. In order to get a credible opposition party on it's feet maybe it needs everybody to take some action.

Doodledog Wed 08-Jan-20 09:06:56

I rejoined it recently. I was in it a while ago, but left over the Iraq war, and never really felt able to join again until now.

I do think it is important that there is a credible opposition, and would like to have a say in that.

Anniebach Wed 08-Jan-20 09:12:41

I left the Labour Party after Corbyn was elected leader, I had been a member for over 50 years. I rejoined after the election
to vote for the new leader, if Rebecca Long Bailey wins the leadership I will resign my membership again.

MaizieD Wed 08-Jan-20 09:15:45

I'm considering it. Perhaps it's time I nailed my colours to the mast.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 09:18:30

It’s £25 now isn’t it? Gone up from £3. I won’t join but will be interested to see how the membership votes when the results come in on 4 April.

CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 09:19:16

I have just joined, I am Scottish but live in in another EU country, I am moving back to UK (England) so that is why I won't be joining SNP . I am not returning for any political reasons but I dread the next 5 or even 10 years with this current government. So I am now a labour party member and will vote in the leadership and it will not be for R.Long-Baily

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:20:40

Just a Maizie, I am thinking about it, and not decided yet.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Jan-20 09:21:49

Why would you knowingly back a looser ?
Have you seen the polls this morning in regard to labours popularity
Wrong Baily has stated that Corbyn ran a 10/10 campaign, I don't know where she was on election night ?
Not that it will mean anything ( because Wrong Baily will win) but the more intelligent members of the Labour Party are horrified at her comments.

CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 09:21:57

I have just agreed monthly direct debit £4.30..if I can get my DH to join he will be £2.20, it's an age reduction.

CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 09:23:15

MerylStreep - nobody on here has said they would vote for R-LB, ..

Iam64 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:26:57

I rejoined a couple of weeks ago, so I could contribute to the vote for a new leader.
I left after Iraq but rejoined after seeing Ed Miliband speak locally. His charisma in a small hall sadly didn't translate to tv. I attended four of the Hustings after which J Corbyn was elected. He came over well at the Hustings but I didn't vote fo him. He'd no leadership experience and spent his previous life as an MP opposing things rather than building the consensus I believe necessary to successfully lead the party and win an election.
I was disappointed he won but said I'd support him. I did for 18 months then I left the party for reasons I've posted before and don't need to repeat.
I was reluctant to rejoin but the country needs a strong opposition and a LP with a chance of winning an election. I will not vote for RLB.

CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 10:14:14

I've only just joined the Labour Party but it looks like I am campaigning already....

I would never have joined the Labour Party with Corbyn as the leader and I have never taken anything as personally as I have Brexit (I was/am a remainer) I voted Labour thinking was the best of quite frankly a really bad bunch.

I feel so strongly against this current government/PM/Cabinet ...the thought of 5 maybe 10 years of them to come is frightening...
I really can't do anything else but I think rather than just talk about it all we should do what we can to get a worthwhile opposition starting with a worthwhile leader. It is a risk as we may not get the leader we want, in my case, I will vote for Keir Starmer but if we don't try, we can't complain!

They need to change, only the members can make this happen.

labour.org.uk/join

Labaik Sun 12-Jan-20 00:48:22

I haven't rejoined because I want to see which way the vote goes without 'outside' influence. But if Keir Starmer becomes leader I shall rejoin and so will my family.I don't want to leave the LibDems but it's vitally important for us to have a strong opposition with a leader that knows the letter of the law inside out because this government is doing everything it can to ignore the law of the land.

Evie64 Sun 12-Jan-20 01:21:00

Are you mad? Join the Labour Party again at the moment! I don't think so. Sadly I know my poor old dad will be spinning in his grave if he could see them now. Sorry, rant over...........

Ginny42 Sun 12-Jan-20 01:57:00

Not mad Evies64, concerned that there should be an effective opposition to monitor the Tories and hold them to account for the promises made to win the election. We need someone who will be quick to respond to the Tory rhetoric. I have re-joined to vote for Starmer and hope that he will out class Johnson.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 06:33:17

I left because of a Brexit and now rejoined so I can vote

M0nica Sun 12-Jan-20 07:47:39

Tempted to join to vote to get Long Bailey elected as leader to finally destroy the current Labour party in hope that the Phoenix party, or one of the Phoenix parties that arise from the ashes will be a moderate left party with rational policies that will put people and their problems before dogma and self delusion.

GagaJo Sun 12-Jan-20 07:51:57

I joined because of Corbyn, but will remain a member.

Not sure who to vote for, for leader. KS possibly. BUT if the party moves too far towards the centre, I will leave. Win or lose, Labour is left for me.

Cunco Sun 12-Jan-20 08:43:08

The only time I joined a political party was when I joined the Co-Operative Party, by mistake. I left soon afterwards. I have no plans to join any party now although I will continue to vote at elections, probably still on the basis of the least-bad candidate or none-of-the-above. Like the majority of people, I was relieved that Corbyn lost the election. While I am not a great fan of Johnson, I will make a judgement after he has been PM with a majority. Whoever Labour elects as leader, I hope he/she will not be extreme and be effective. I also hope the new Speaker will be seen to be fair and that members of Parliament on all sides will show respect for people of opposing views, rather than denigrating them. If so, Parliament may yet regain the respect of the public.

Oopsminty Sun 12-Jan-20 08:46:11

I know a couple of people who joined in order to vote for Corbyn

They knew he'd never be able to win an election which is what they wanted

And they were right!

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 08:47:41

monica I m surprised at you no smiley so presume you meant that seriously I don’t think Long Bailey has a hope if getting in thankfully

Anniebach Sun 12-Jan-20 09:03:02

Momentum are supporting Long Bailey.

Cunco Sun 12-Jan-20 09:03:10

For what it is worth, Long Bailey is second favourite at 6/1, ahead of Nandy and Phillips but still a long way behind odds-on favourite Kier Starmer.

Grandad1943 Sun 12-Jan-20 09:56:33

I believe that no candidate for the leadership can be seen as "being in the lead" at this stage of the contest.

This poll is only at the stage of candidates trying to get the nomination of MPs, constituency party management committees and trade union general executive committees. However, it will be the Labour Party members and affiliate members who will decide the outcome of this ballot on a one member one vote basis. As was so well demonstrated in 2015, those members often do not follow the recommendations of those management bodies.

I feel there may well be a shock in the outcome of this election, and should that come about it could well be Lisa Nandy who produces that shock. However, never has a leadership election depended on how the candidates come across in what they say and do in the next few weeks.

Magsymoo Sun 12-Jan-20 10:10:15

Thank you for this post as it has galvanized me to rejoin the Labour Party and give me a say in the election of the new leader. As with all elections, there's no point in moaning about the outcome if you don't take part. 2020 is the year I put my money where my mouth is!