Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has anybody joined the Labour Party since 2019 Elections?

(60 Posts)
CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 09:04:49

I have just looked at the post/discussion about the Labour Party Leadership candidates and it is now 30 pages long so I hope this does not repeat anything. I am wondering if anybody has decided to join the Labour Party in order to vote for the new leader. In order to get a credible opposition party on it's feet maybe it needs everybody to take some action.

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 17:26:20

What Labour needs is a major split. Its two ends are too far apart to ever be able to work together. So I am cheering on Long-Bailey, in hopes of the party effectively collapsing and a electable Left-wing party arising from the ashes and an unelectable far left party can then wander off into the darkness endlessly splitting as it argues as to what the true dialectic line is.

Anniebach Fri 17-Jan-20 17:40:32

MOnica Long Bailey is supported by the far left.

suziewoozie Fri 17-Jan-20 18:39:17

What I want is a functioning opposition asap after the leadership results for everyone’s sake. A country that has a government with a large majority needs a good opposition. The hope that they LP will tear itself apart by electing RLB and a new party emerge from the ashes is imo not likely. I’m hoping KS will win and form a very balanced unity shadow cabinet. And I agree with a PP- charisma is very overrated.

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 22:07:18

That is why I want to see her as the next Labour leader, Anniebach. If she becomes leader the final split is more certain, where the others, especially Keir Starmer, might end up the leader of a party that will continue to fight like ferrets in a sack, but will stay in the sack. With LB in charge, with luck the sack will split.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Jan-20 22:54:12

Who will fund this new centre-left party? It takes a very large amount of money in appropriation for a political organisation in the United Kingdom to have any chance of success in elections.

Evidence to the above can be witnessed in the Liberal Democratic Party who despite having good organisation at local level simply do not have the funding to get their message across in general elections.

We have also seen the Alliance party set up by Labour MPs who believed that a new centre-left party could be funded outside of the broader Labour movement in the country.

What happened, virtually no funding came from any person or organisation. That party has now gone in the same direction as the Dodo.

Of course, it may well be that some forum members posting in this thread in reality only wish to see right-wing parties in strong existence within Britains body politic, and in that, only the one which already exists.

suziewoozie Fri 17-Jan-20 22:59:28

Grandad just a lot of clutching at straws/unicorn hunting. It won’t be RLB no matter how much those who don’t want an opposition want her to win.

Fennel Sat 18-Jan-20 19:29:58

My husband has just told me he's applied to join. I was quite surprised, as I know he's a LP supporter but he never went this far before.
My membership has lapsed - I re-applied a couple of years ago and they messed up the application. I'll have to re-apply.
Poor Jeremy - he means well but isn't a leader.
The main thing is to have an effective opposition. If only.
Yes the LP is split, but so are the conservatives. They have the money.

Nortsat46 Sat 18-Jan-20 19:35:39

I have re-joined, to vote in the Leadership and Deputy Leadership Election...

Cunco Sat 25-Jan-20 08:48:12

The BBC is reporting that Labour membership has risen significantly, up an average of 20% in the constituencies contacted. It seems that most of the new support is for a 'moderate' candidate. Either way, the Labour Party is gaining more funds.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51245211

The betting odds still have Starmer firm, odds-on favourite with Long-Bailey now out to 9/2 and Nandy 6/1. Thornberry is 66/1.

By the way, there is also a contest for Liberal Democrat leader. Ed Davey is odds-on favourite with Layla Moran 7/4.