Gransnet forums

News & politics

I think I'm more cross about Frogmore Cottage than anything else in the H&M saga.

(245 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 16-Jan-20 23:31:03

I'm not bothered about the reports that staff have been 'let go' because why would they be needed unless 'opening up' the house for a proposed visit and they are being moved to other positions so not being made redundant. What is galling is, I hope, something that others on here will relate to.

We are of an age where we look back on a life in our homes. Working hard to be able to afford them, budgeting to furnish and decorate them, bringing up our families in them, losing loved ones in them and maybe having to move due to old age and infirmity. Be it ever so humble, our homes have been our lives.

The casual discarding of Frogmore Cottage by Harry and Meghan - something that was handed to them on a plate, renovated by and protected at taxpayers' expense is a real kick in the teeth. We all have family members who either can't afford to get on the property ladder or who are working their whatsits off to pay for the home they are so proud of.

I doubt they will ever live in it again. All that money has been wasted and a beautiful home will stand empty. angry

Venus Fri 17-Jan-20 11:21:43

Open it up to the public, same as Frogmore House and grounds.

Jillybird Fri 17-Jan-20 11:23:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marjgran Fri 17-Jan-20 11:25:30

Tigertooth it may not be for you (although you saying she is not black / a person of colour makes me wonder how much unconscious racism you have) but the racism from many is obvious,

Alliecat Fri 17-Jan-20 11:35:52

I don't think you can go by the Sussex's rationale, taken from their website (rosecarmel above), which is currently more a unilateral set of demands published online without consultation with the royal family. It is, to say the least, disingenuous. I would also add that Prince Charles, not the Sussex's, paid for the refurbishing/contents, and he will naturally have funded that far more expensively (for his son and his bride) than would have been provided for someone else. You can't justify the expense just by saying it can be used for other people now.

I find the ingratitude of the Sussexes astounding, particularly after more than a decade of austerity. It is of a piece with their self-pity in Africa, surrounded by people who are infinitely worse off. Meghan's reported criticisms this week of the royal family and indeed our country add salt to the wound. However, you are right, it is Frogmore that resonates most. Apart from our families' well-being, the roof over our head is the most important thing in life, for which we work the hardest and sacrifice most.

oscaro11 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:36:31

Until she married into the royal family Meghan identified herself as Caucasian on her professional work profiles. All out there on the internet for the doubters.

icanhandthemback Fri 17-Jan-20 11:40:01

Frogmore Cottage was empty but was on a refurbishment list to be done. Harry and Meghan only brought that date forward and had to pay for any extras they wanted so all this hot air about it being the tax payers' money is hog wash. That money was going to be spent anyway.

BusterTank Fri 17-Jan-20 11:44:10

Well that gratitude for you . She got everything she wanted and has thrown it back in the British face . No wonder she didn't fit in to royalty she has no class .

trisher Fri 17-Jan-20 11:53:57

It's also quite a reasonable cost- W&K Kensington Palace £4.5 mill. Clarence House for C&C £4.5 mill, Buck House for Q £369 million. Andrew paid £7.5mill of hs own (where did the money come from?)

ReadyMeals Fri 17-Jan-20 11:54:12

I don't really want Harry back doing duties. I thought at first they just wanted to live part of the time out of the country and limelight, and I was ok with that. But since then it's looking increasingly like they're sick of us all, and you know what? I am sick of him and her right back in that case. I defend their right as humans to choose their lives, but I just can't feel the same connection with them any more as I did when I thought they were committed to us. I don't read or watch celebrity news, and to me they're just celebs now. Which is fine, but outside my scope of identification now.

grannymy Fri 17-Jan-20 11:59:46

Yes, it's hard to feel so connected to them when they seem to have little interest in us. Although possibly they are less interested in the Royal family and all their pomp and ceremony.

ReadyMeals Fri 17-Jan-20 12:02:32

Jillybird she did not have a shitty upbringing. Just look at her wonderful loyal Mum! And the dad did at least help with her education costs, so he's not the worst absent dad a child ever had, even though some of his actions in the last few years are a bit questionable.

Saggi Fri 17-Jan-20 12:03:11

I’m with you Merlotgran...all a ruddy waste of space ......monarchy is a relic of the past that shouldve been eradicated by now! And please don’t come back at me with the ‘tourism’ rubbish...France has more tourists than Britain....and they got rid of their monarchy a long long time ago. They sneer at us from their palaces , just how stupid are we?!

Solonge Fri 17-Jan-20 12:06:37

When they married and moved to Frogmore, I expect they intended to stay. If it wasn’t for the vile, racist, out of control, manipulative press in the UK, they probably would have grown old there. The Mail, The Dun, The Express just can’t help themselves...Constantly sniping, making disgusting comments, comparing Kate and Meghan. The couples twitter feed is public...read some of the filthy racist comments on that. If I were the parents of either Harry or Meghan I would be telling them to give two fingers to those that joined in with the destructive behaviour and who buy those vile rags. They will be oh so much happier in Canada.

lucywinter Fri 17-Jan-20 12:08:28

I don't care at all about Frogmore Cottage, it's just a royal residence, but I care a lot about losing Harry and his kind and cheerful personality for half of the year. That's all.

ReadyMeals Fri 17-Jan-20 12:09:21

Solonge, except there is another problem with Canada. Canadian mainstream media has said that they may not be welcome there unless they renounce their place in the succession as there is some - not sure if it's a rule or a sentiment - that keeps the monarchy at a distance from Canada's own business and having actual royals resident there could fall foul of it. I think some ordinary Canadian people are not happy about it too

GeorgyGirl Fri 17-Jan-20 12:12:43

I agree with BusterTank. It is outrageous that Meghan can think she can do just as she likes. They both should be stripped of their titles and let them get on with it. What a disgrace and such disrespect to the Queen - and keeping Archie away. It's nothing to do with race, we embraced Meghan as a country and so did he Royal Family and everyone said how good it was for the Royal Family and now she has bolted - Harry and Meghan should be ashamed of themselves. They can't have it all.

ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 12:12:49

I get what you say about working hard for a house; I took over the mortgage of my home when I divorced, worked hard, was careful with money and now its all paid off. by many peoples standards its probably a shabby little house but it means the world to me and is kind of symbolic of my independence and perseverance, my children are grown up now but I hope that some of them has rubbed off on them and taught them something valuable for their own lives

juneski Fri 17-Jan-20 12:16:57

Good grief, it's like a witch hunt on here. I have no idea about Meghan's motivations, whether she made the decision, Harry made the decision, or it was a joint decision. I suspect none of you do either - unless you have some insider information I haven't been privy to. I'm by no means a royalist, but I can understand them wanting to get the h* out of this country the abuse they've had.

ReadyMeals Fri 17-Jan-20 12:22:34

See the thing is, Juneski, that they didn't get abuse from all their subjects, in fact they got abuse from only a tiny minority of their subjects. The rest of us happily supported them (financially and with good thoughts) and respected them, and turned out to support their visits to various royal events and charities. It's hurtful. I do however agree with what you say about we shouldn't try to divide between them who decided what. As long as they have an apparently committed marriage, or until one of them says they were feeling controlled by the other, I think of them as an equal unit making decisions together.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jan-20 12:22:42

I suspect a lot of veiled racism...

I don't know if you watched Question Time last night, Marjgran but we cheered when the actor Laurence Fox fired back at a woman in the audience who made the same ridiculous assumption.

It's getting tedious now. Some people would see racism in a donkey's hind leg!

None of my comments in the OP have anything to do with racism. It was nothing more than an emotional response to the casual discarding of all that Meghan has been given on a plate since her marriage.

As others have said, Fergie had to put up with much worse and Camilla didn't get off lightly either. Did they flounce?

ReadyMeals Fri 17-Jan-20 12:27:48

Merlotgran even Diana stayed loyal to Britain.

trisher Fri 17-Jan-20 12:53:49

Just though all those protesting over the cost of Frogmore why not start a petition asking that the property be opened to the public when H&M are not in residence

Calendargirl Fri 17-Jan-20 13:01:55

Meghan isn’t black, she is ‘a woman of colour’.

NanaSuzy Fri 17-Jan-20 13:02:02

It's their whiney self-pity that galls me the most. That and their hypocrisy. I agree with whoever it was mentioned the disconnect between going to visit Grenfell Tower people, and women's centres etc, and just at will being able to walk out of the country, throwing away a good home as if it's worthless. Ungrateful doesn't start to cover it. Good riddance is my view.

merlotgran Fri 17-Jan-20 13:04:30

I don't want to see round it, trisher. I want to see a family living in it.

Keeping it as the Sussex's British residence would be fine if I really believed that Meghan (and Archie) will ever return.