Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harry & Megan drop HRH Titles

(477 Posts)
Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 19:40:48

I think that they have agreed to drop the HRH titles from April, as there would have been too many conditions to making money while holding the title.
They are also, apparently, going to repay the £2.4m of taxpayers money spent on Frogmore.
So, it looks like neither of them will be back to the UK very often at all.
I think that this is the right decision, do you?

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Jan-20 19:50:41

Good for them. I wonder how the media is going to find fault with their decision.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 18-Jan-20 19:52:31

Yes, I think its the right decision and i would also hope that Prince Charles will reduce his allowance to them over the next 2 years or so that they eventually are earning their own money. Whats happening about security?

BlueBelle Sat 18-Jan-20 19:57:02

Good luck to the couple, no strings pulling them along any more, and no one can moan and complain they are getting public money for nothing anymore I hope they have a blessed life with their little family

And of course Suspect Prince Andrew stays in the wage list ummmmmmm

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-20 19:57:59

'Drop' and not 'Stripped' may mean there's a way back for Harry if it all goes pear shaped.

Ellianne Sat 18-Jan-20 19:58:05

How does that work with their sussexroyal website if they are no longer royal highnesses?

Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 20:00:46

Nothing mentioned on security but I'm sure it will all be agreed before April.
They are to step back from all Royal Duties, including official military appointments and will no longer receive public funds.
I feel this is the only sensible solution to the 'Half in, half out', idea given by the couple.

sodapop Sat 18-Jan-20 20:02:42

Yes I thought that as well Merlotgran

Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 20:06:52

I agree Merlot, 'dropped' and 'step back', do sound as though Harry could step back in, if ever he wanted to do.
Best all round, I feel.

Sussexborn Sat 18-Jan-20 20:12:37

I guess PC will end up paying their debts for them. He’s apparently been subsiding them for the last two years.

I feel for PW who will carry a heavier load and for her Maj in her later years. She’s spent her whole life avoiding pitfalls and now she has the worry of DofE’s health, Randy Andy and his perverted friends and H&M who are like lose cannons. Little chance of them living quietly in obscurity!

lavenderzen Sat 18-Jan-20 20:13:27

Good luck to them, I wish them all the very best.

growstuff Sat 18-Jan-20 20:20:21

I'm afraid I don't "feel" anything for them, either positive or negative. I just hope the vitriol stops now.

annodomini Sat 18-Jan-20 21:02:01

Meghan has never been HRH. The title doesn't come with the marriage. Harry has it by right of birth. I don't think Kate is HRH either as she isn't officially a princess. I have a feeling that they are now wary of giving these titles as it didn't work out too well with Diana. Camilla probably isn't HRH either.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-20 21:06:22

HRH can be granted by the Queen upon marriage to an HRH. That's why Edward VIII was peeved because it wasn't given to Wallis Simpson.

It can, of course, be taken away as it was from Diana and Fergie.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 21:06:39

Kate and Camilla are HRH and Megan

Daisymae Sat 18-Jan-20 21:09:08

They are retaining HRH - just not using it. Will be useful if it all goes pear shaped. They have everything that they wanted, let's hope that it makes them happy.

sf101 Sat 18-Jan-20 21:11:55

Ellianne - perhaps they should change the name of the website to suss exroyal !!!
I'll be glad to see the back of them.

Oopsminty Sat 18-Jan-20 21:15:30

Ellianne - perhaps they should change the name of the website to suss exroyal !!!

Excellent!

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 21:17:58

annodomini

Meghan is HRH Princess Henry of Wales, Duchess of Sussex
Catherine is HRH Princess William of Wales, Duchess of Cambridge
But not HRH in their own right.

Both are recorded as 'Princess of the United Kingdom' on their children's birth certificates.

However, neither is known as Princess in their own right but through their husbands' titles.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 21:21:58

The only princesses are Anne and Charlotte

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 21:30:17

As I said.

They have the title of princess through their husbands' titles but not in their own right.

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 21:31:09

Bea and Eugenie are Princesses in their own right too.

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 21:36:59

And don't forget Princess Alexandra.

Her sister I law is Princess Micbael of Kent so not a Princess in her own right.

Lady Louise could be a Princess in her own right but the title was declined so as not to burden her with expected royal duties.

MawB Sat 18-Jan-20 21:40:37

Good luck to them.
It sounds as clean a break as anybody was going to get, but the main thing is that is sounds good natured, without ill feeling or rancour and their relations with Harry’s (and now also Meghan’s) will hopefully survive intact.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 22:17:33

The Queen wouldn’t have made any other statement, dignity comes first .