Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harry & Megan drop HRH Titles

(478 Posts)
Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 19:40:48

I think that they have agreed to drop the HRH titles from April, as there would have been too many conditions to making money while holding the title.
They are also, apparently, going to repay the £2.4m of taxpayers money spent on Frogmore.
So, it looks like neither of them will be back to the UK very often at all.
I think that this is the right decision, do you?

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jan-20 22:35:43

The actual statement says they will not use their royal titles.
It doesn’t say they will relinquish them.

Opal Sat 18-Jan-20 22:50:11

If they are to live independently, then why register SussexRoyal as their official website and trade name? I have nothing against them if they truly wish to separate from the RF. However, they shouldn't be able to profit personally from their royal connection, yet their actions seem to indicate that they will. That should not be allowed.

Opal Sat 18-Jan-20 22:55:14

Come to think of it, why keep the title if they don't intend to profit from it? Why don't they just revert to plain Mr & Mrs Harry Windsor-Mountbatten? The fact they have kept the title and also officially registered it seems suspicious? Just sayin' ....

growstuff Sat 18-Jan-20 22:55:31

Oh dear! I guess the judgemental tittle-tattlers and vipers are going to have to find another goal for venting their spleens.

Bye bye Harry and Meghan and good luck!

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jan-20 22:56:28

It’s all going to be reviewed in a year’s time. Wonder if the Queen thinks by then things might not be quite what Harry had in mind? Surely when the novelty of living and working in Canada has passed, he might miss certain parts of his old life, and the support of his family? She has been very gracious in her comments about Meghan, saying how quickly she has become part of the family. Whether that is really what she thinks, well I have my doubts.
I think the clean break will turn out to be far more than was envisaged by the Sussexs’ when all this was hatched.
I hope Meghan is worth it.

JenniferEccles Sat 18-Jan-20 23:00:04

I think the Queen may have been accommodating to leave the door open for Harry to return if the marriage breaks down at some point.

Does anyone think he will be happy in the shallow world of Hollywood celebrities?

Once the penny drops that this was his wife’s plan all along he will see her for the scheming manipulative woman she is.

pinkquartz Sat 18-Jan-20 23:08:13

Will this latest decision cause some trouble with other Royals?
After all why should any of them "work" at being royal if they can just cash in on their titles and connections?
Does this mean Andrew has a way to keep earning money after all he is not doing his Royal duties and he has made connections and knows people....
if M&H can market them selves then why not Andrew?

isn't this a scary thought?
Have M&H opened a door that will allow the others to walk through?

growstuff Sat 18-Jan-20 23:16:10

Oh heck! It seems the "wannabe outraged" haven't found anything else to be outraged about yet. How about being outraged about homelessness or child poverty?.

growstuff Sat 18-Jan-20 23:20:23

I wonder which is preferable - the shallow world of Hollywood or the shallow world of Gransnet. It's a difficult one. hmm

pinkquartz Sat 18-Jan-20 23:31:00

growstuff

the wealth of the Royals is the other side of the homelessness and poverty in the UK and the rest of the world.

I don't know why you are on a thread where you just disparage the posters?
Do you not see the role model that is Meghan?
marry a man get a job and money. Divorce marry another man get more money get more stuff etc.

No feminism apparent on her....

And why should we put up with their spending sprees?
Whydon't they actually give some real help to the poor?

I know homelessness and I know poverty but do you?

While the rich continue to grab at wealth and get to keep it for no reason at all, poverty cannot end.

Summerlove Sat 18-Jan-20 23:31:13

I feel for PW who will carry a heavier load

He was always going to carry a heavier load.

Prince of Wales and King are not titles you share with your brother

Eloethan Sat 18-Jan-20 23:46:01

It's all a lot of rubbish anyway. How ridiculous it is that titles and medals are given to people just because they are born into a certain family. Given Andrew's conduct over the last few years, perhaps now would be a good time to take his titles back too.

I think Harry and Meghan are well out of it but I suspect there may, as the courtiers said, be some sort of "pay back" at a later date. And, of course, for Harry, who has not led a normal life, it will be very different.

Mommawolf Sun 19-Jan-20 00:22:21

I wish them well and hope it works for them, I agree that Prince William will take up the slack for a while. I do wonder if when PC becomes king and William takes over the duchy of Cornwall he will be happy to continue to subsidise his brother.

maddyone Sun 19-Jan-20 00:49:18

I hope Harry will be happy. I do wonder if he will miss his family and his country. I’m saddened that he can’t keep his military role, but there’s a price to pay for everything. I hope Archie will be allowed to see his grandfather but I’m not at all sure that Meghan will allow him to travel to Britain. All in all, I think it’s a very sad development, but I still wish Harry well.

Nanny41 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:20:05

I think the Queen has made the right decision with the rest of the family.The HRH taken away is correct if the couple arent performing any Royal duties any more,they are still Duke and Duchess of Sussex, am I right.
Lets hope this closes the chapter,and everyone can have a bit of peace.

Riggie Sun 19-Jan-20 09:27:43

And, of course, for Harry, who has not led a normal life, it will be very different.

I doubt he will be leading what most people would call a normal life in the future.

25Avalon Sun 19-Jan-20 09:40:26

They were determined to go so I don't see there was any choice but to let them go. It's obviously been discussed for a while and the best has been made of a bad job. It's called damage limitation. I hope they are happy but I fear Harry has made a bad mistake. Meghan will continue to forge ahead but Harry may well be left behind floundering. If it doesn't work out for him then the door has been left open for his return.

Nezumi65 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:43:32

* Once the penny drops that this was his wife’s plan all along he will see her for the scheming manipulative woman she is.*

You have no evidence for this at all. So why say it? Twenty minutes trawling through the Daily Mail comments (full of this sort of nonsense) & it became blindingly obvious why they have left. No particular fan of the Royals but have a lot of respect for Harry for trying to protect his wife and son (poor Archie was getting the vitriol heaped on him as well).

25Avalon Sun 19-Jan-20 09:45:24

What vitriol was being heaped on Archie?

Chaitriona Sun 19-Jan-20 09:50:23

I feel there has been so much vitriol worked up by the press encouraging people to hate, bully and scapegoat. It brings out the worst in people and is not good for us as individuals or for us as a country and community. I was shocked by the way the same things were praised in the case of Catherine and mocked in the case of Meghan by the same newspapers. Touching your baby bump and being hatless in the presence of the Queen were two of these. Meghan has definitely been abused by the press, whatever she may or may not be like in real life. I can understand people who are struggling, as so many are, comparing themselves to the vast luxury of the royal family and being critical of its existence. Royalty does exemplify inequality and unfairness in our country. But criticise the existence of royalty as a whole in that case, don’t pick on some individuals and excuse or worship others. I also think very privileged individuals, posturing as ambassadors for equality can be fairly criticised. It is hypocritical. However nothing justifies spite and those who enjoy the royal family as entertainment have lost two interesting characters from the soap opera. Some people like to deny racism exists at all in this country but most black people will have had personal experience of it and probably a lot of people felt heartened that the royal family which is thought to represent Britishness would have some small amount of African ancestry and blood in it. Black British people could feel things were moving on and they were an accepted part of this country. How must many people like this feel now that Meagan and Harry seem to have been driven out. It will have the opposite effect. They must feel not wanted. Racial suspicion and hostility is not good for any of us.

Nezumi65 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:51:25

Plenty is heaped on Archie. Have a wade around the comments on the official Instagram palaces page (or again the Daily Mail) - apparently he is very ugly and nowhere near as attractive as his cousins (repeat variations of this x1000). Can’t blame them for heading off.

grannyrebel7 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:51:37

These new arrangements are going to be reviewed within a year. Will be interesting to see how things have worked out for them.

Chestnut Sun 19-Jan-20 09:57:51

Now old Thomas has entered the limelight again saying:
'They're turning the Royal Family into a Walmart with a crown on. When they got married they took on an obligation, and the obligation is to be part of the Royals. And it would be foolish of them not to. This is one of the greatest long-living institutions ever. They are destroying it, they are cheapening it, making it shabby.....they shouldn't be doing this.'

And this is from her own father!

grannyrebel7 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:59:51

I wonder in all of this how Prince Charles feels. He's hardly mentioned - it's all about the Queen, but Charles is Harry's father after all.

Saggi Sun 19-Jan-20 10:03:26

Yes....when dyou think the rest of them will be ‘on their toes’ ...I can’t wait for that day.