Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harry & Megan drop HRH Titles

(478 Posts)
Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 19:40:48

I think that they have agreed to drop the HRH titles from April, as there would have been too many conditions to making money while holding the title.
They are also, apparently, going to repay the £2.4m of taxpayers money spent on Frogmore.
So, it looks like neither of them will be back to the UK very often at all.
I think that this is the right decision, do you?

Chestnut Sat 25-Jan-20 13:38:16

Well maybe some posters admire MM but I think the majority don't, and it's just weird to suggest this is because there's something missing in their own lives. It's a twisted sort of logic which is typical of the posters who think this way.

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 13:37:29

I don't think anyone particularly wants to be like either of the duchesses. Most people admire them, often one more than the other, and the following of them online and in the papers, is enjoyable.

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 13:35:28

How old was Gladys Aylward when you met her Anniebach?Wiki says she was born in 1902.

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 13:29:56

Yes she was, I met her and two of her children

I knew I could never be a good a person as her which is why
I understand the admiration for Megan Markle, -

I so want to be like her but I know I never can.

trisher Sat 25-Jan-20 13:06:40

Wasn't she a good Christian? Someone who believed they should love their neighbour? And wasn't the place she worked in China known as The Inn of the Eighth Happiness embracing the 8 chinese virtues Love, Virtue, Gentleness, Tolerance, Loyalty, Truth, Beauty and Devotion which are conspicuously missing on this thread.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 25-Jan-20 13:01:22

Gosh Annie Gladys Aylward was my role model back in the day.
Personally I don't aspire to be MM at all, but if I had to choose whose shoes to be born into I would choose her's rather than Catherine's.

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 12:48:50

I was thinking perhaps some posters see in Megan all they
long to be , they can’t.

I was the same about Gladys Aylward , admire her so much

suziewoozie Sat 25-Jan-20 12:46:20

Given the amount of uninformed, bitter speculation on all things M and H on GN, it’s a bit rich to say we can’t speculate on posters on here who’ve done nothing but post such speculation and whose posts speak for themselves far more eloquently and informatively than anything based on the gutter parts of MSM and social media.

trisher Sat 25-Jan-20 12:35:36

I was thinking that perhaps some posters are using MM to express some sort of disppointment with their own lives. I wondered if it was to do with the young women they know, who they feel have everything, and do the things they couldn't, but being unable to say awful things to relatives they choose to pick on MM.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Jan-20 12:21:18

Ah I think you’d lose your bet sooziewoozie!

TerriBull Sat 25-Jan-20 12:20:57

I wouldn't want to speculate on the lack of success and contentment in individual posters professional and personal lives, because we don't really know each other. If I were to have been in the unfortunate position to have lost a child, it might shape my opinion as to a young woman who has so much, certainly more than 99% of the population, complaining about on a regular basis about her life, through "her friends" and first hand through interviews with Tom Bradby. I might just think, at least she's got a life!

Chestnut Sat 25-Jan-20 12:05:59

People might be bitter and critical about the way she has behaved towards the RF and alienated Harry from them. That does not amount to 'hate' and it has nothing to do with jealousy!

suziewoozie Sat 25-Jan-20 11:51:00

I’d put money on it that there’s a direct relationship between depth of hatred and bitterness towards MM and the lack of success and contentment posters have had in their professional and personal lives.

suziewoozie Sat 25-Jan-20 11:14:02

Shock horror pass the smelling salts - adult woman has several serial relationships. How very dare she. I’m shocked I tell you shocked beyond words. Utterly utterly utterly horrified. And annie your resume of her career is inaccurate and bitter in the extreme.

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 11:12:41

She has her father in laws money behind her.

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 11:09:36

You can always tell a successful woman by the numbers of reactionary women who line up to slag her off

Seems about right!

trisher Sat 25-Jan-20 11:08:22

eazybee she is worth around £5 million. She pays her own bills and doesn't have family money behind her.

trisher Sat 25-Jan-20 11:02:12

It's a bit old fashioned feminist to think women can't be beautiful and successful. The days of not shaving your legs as a statement are long gone. She had an acting career, a very successful blog and made her own money. Isn't that feminist enough? That's without the support and recognition she has given to other strong independent women. You can always tell a successful woman by the numbers of reactionary women who line up to slag her off.

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:55:55

‘She’ registered the name. Of course did. hmm

Just like that pesky Kate www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/fashion-news/news/a7387/kate-middleton-trademarks-her-name/
fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9966122/Duchess-of-Cambridge-trademarks-name-for-use-on-clothing.html

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 10:49:14

She marries a film producer gets a part in a tv series, she
leaves husband, divorce, relationship with a celeb chef , meets
Harry leaves the chef .

eazybee Sat 25-Jan-20 10:44:48

M. Markle is not a strong independent woman; she is headstrong, and cleverly dependent on others to pay the bills. She had the SussexRoyal name registered less than a year after her marriage, ready to exploit the royal family but giving nothing. A taker and a user, one who runs away when things don't suit.
Not a role model for young women, unless you wish to enforce the concept that the way to achieve is to marry a wealthy man and live off him.

GrannyLaine Sat 25-Jan-20 10:09:13

Nicely edited showreel Trisher

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 09:54:15

I too agree Pinkquartz

Sparklefizz Sat 25-Jan-20 09:47:24

And M made her life for herself using most of the female tricks....her face and body and marrying a rich film producer and then marrying H. I like that she is strong but I would not hold her up as a feminist role model.

Totally agree, pinkquartz

pinkquartz Fri 24-Jan-20 23:13:55

Trisher

I agree that she is strong and beautiful, but she is also wanting to live her way on our money.
She is also exploiting the Royal connection.
I can't see the evidence of smiling at her baby without cameras there.
we have all smiled at our babies without a camera there....

I think you are taking what TM said too far...he may well feel he is owed something now but he has also been through hell because of their actions and M&H are sitting on over £3 million.
And if I remember correctly he said it in the context of emotional support .
He is clearly hurting.. and alone. I felt sorry for him.

And M made her life for herself using most of the female tricks....her face and body and marrying a rich film producer and then marrying H.

I like that she is strong but I would not hold her up as a feminist role model.