Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harry & Megan drop HRH Titles

(478 Posts)
Buffybee Sat 18-Jan-20 19:40:48

I think that they have agreed to drop the HRH titles from April, as there would have been too many conditions to making money while holding the title.
They are also, apparently, going to repay the £2.4m of taxpayers money spent on Frogmore.
So, it looks like neither of them will be back to the UK very often at all.
I think that this is the right decision, do you?

Curlywhirly Sat 25-Jan-20 22:51:22

Ah no, sorry Calendargirl, can't see the resemblance for either of 'em!

Calendargirl Sat 25-Jan-20 18:44:23

Seem to be going off on a tangent with this thread so I will add another twist.
Watching Coronation Street last night, it occurred to me that Gary Windass is starting to look like Prince Harry! Perhaps I spend too much time on these royal threads!
Does anyone think Maria looks like Meghan?
?

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 16:48:36

Wow! Sent for it. I like the mountains of Wales. Will make a good watch.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 16:45:01

I met one of the child extras. We were in opposite beds in the maternity ward of Kings Lynn hospital when I was having DD2.

She was about seven and the mountain scenes were filmed in Wales.

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 16:43:56

No idea, I remember her saying that because I was going through a period of deciding between the church and getting on with a normal ! life

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 16:43:52

Yes. That's what I'll do. ?

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 16:42:47

You can get it on Amazon, Lucy

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 16:42:30

Right. I think I'll get it then. (I'm spending money on this thread! grin)

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 16:40:06

Not sad at all. I did cry all the way through but then I was a soppy thirteen year old.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 16:38:38

That's one of the reasons she turned him down then.

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 16:38:34

Not sure if I've seen that film or not merlot. Says on Amazon it as released 1958 so I would have been seventeen. Might get the dvd. Is it sad though?

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 16:36:37

*merlot, I only know she said it wasn’t true , ‘I never met the person I believe God had chosen for me ‘ ,

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 16:15:03

It wasn't as portrayed in the film Annie but she definitely had a close relationship with Linnan. They even discussed marriage.

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 15:39:21

Yes Pantglas she was touring Wales . I was disappointed to learn the romance in the film didn’t happen . She came to the
Chapel, I met her in the vestry after her talk.

She was driven out of China by the communists and not allowed to return.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 15:38:34

Did you not see The Inn of the Sixth Happiness back in the sixties, lucy?

It was well received even though Ingrid Bergman was not a bit like GA and Colonel Linnan was played by Curt Jurgans with a German accent grin

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 15:32:35

As I know nothing about her, and I seem to be the only one blush I have just downloaded her book about herself, onto my kindle. Only £3.79. Should be interesting.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jan-20 15:19:57

She was my childhood heroine as well. In my nine year old mind, having read all about her on the back of Girl magazine, I always thought she would have an educated middle class accent so got quite a shock when I discovered her on YouTube and realised she spoke with a working class North London accent.

I still have my battered copy of The Small Woman and must have read it a dozen times.

Pantglas2 Sat 25-Jan-20 15:13:32

I remember Gwladys Aylward giving a talk at primary school in the mis 60s Anniebach! Wonder if she was touring Wales with a talk about missionary work?

Anniebach Sat 25-Jan-20 14:18:53

No idea , I didn’t ask her, it was in the sixties.

Grandma70s Sat 25-Jan-20 14:15:15

I admire Catherine’s elegant style, but apart from that I don’t see anything special about either of the Duchesses. They are quite ordinary apart from the fact they’ve married princes. Nice enough, but ordinary. I don’t have much time for the kind of show business Meghan’s involved in, and Catherine’s degree isn’t as good as mine!

Chestnut Sat 25-Jan-20 14:05:20

Logic says that people who (without any reason) accuse others of having something missing in their lives probably have something missing in their own lives!

suziewoozie Sat 25-Jan-20 14:00:08

Chestnut A completely logical position given that outwith that explanation, it’s hard to explain or understand the obsessive bile. Btw believing that these various threads are vile, does not make one a Meghan admirer or lover( or as posted earlier, mean that one has a crush on her).

And I’ve never given a fig about majorities - there’s nothing intrinsic about a majority position that makes it right.

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 13:44:59

I don't think she is "worth" about five million. She might own that amount of money, but "worth" is something else.

Just me being pedantic now

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 13:42:21

The only person I wish I was, and had been, like is my elder daughter.

lucywinter Sat 25-Jan-20 13:40:09

I’d put money on it that there’s a direct relationship between depth of hatred and bitterness towards MM and the lack of success and contentment posters have had in their professional and personal lives.

I think I agree with that.