Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some Remainers won’t accept the new 50p ?

(174 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 19:34:11

They say if it’s in their change they will refuse it and ask for 2x20p and a 10p. Oh surely not?

What if they receive them in change from a vending machine?

The Europhiles were perfectly happy to foist 30 times as many 50p coins on us to commemorate joining the EEC in 1973 and those were in common circulation for 24 years unlike the relatively tiny number of Brexit coins that will mostly go directly into collector and investor holdings!

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 21:05:20

Or just move on and focus on the important stuff.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 21:08:11

I’m not pot stirring. It’s a commemorative coin. It’s what Adonis & Campbell tweeted about it that I found childish. It was reported on and I read it. Nothing wrong with that.

If you were offended/thought I was baiting (which I wasn’t) you didn’t have to join in!

gmarie Sun 26-Jan-20 21:09:02

At the grocery store a few weeks ago, I received a twenty dollar bill with "TRUMP" penned on it in ink next to the "20", obviously referencing the 2020 election. I promptly took it to a cashier to exchange for a clean bill. She said she'd have done the same!

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 21:12:32

You were stirring - and when you do that on this subject which has been incredibly divisive, which we’re now being encouraged to put in the past and move forward together you should expect people to challenge the purpose of a thread which is simply opening up old wounds by mocking one side. It’s unnecessary.

Opal Sun 26-Jan-20 21:13:11

Why is it OK for a remainer to start another thread today on Expats in the EU, but it's not OK for a leaver to start this thread? If we're meant to be building bridges SCJ, it cuts both ways.

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 21:14:32

If you read the other thread people on there are calling her out on it as well.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 21:15:37

I’m really not stirring. I’m just incredulous at the childishness of Adonis & Campbell.

merlotgran Sun 26-Jan-20 21:18:47

If I were an independent shopkeeper I wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction of making a stand. I'd get hold of every old 50p I could then ask them sweetly which coin they'd like in their change.

Hopefully, the old ones wouldn't run out. grin

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 21:23:11

OK - Adonis and Campbell are the ones being childish on this occasion and some remainers might give the 50p to charity. Nothing to be incredulous at - just shrug and move on in the spirit of bridge building.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 21:34:07

You are right SirChenjin so I shall move on. It was a silly bit of lighthearted nonsense for a Sunday evening discussion. Certainly not a wind up and no malice intended.

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 21:46:54

That’s good to hear Urm. I think that while wounds are still healing it’s probably best to avoid mocking one ‘side’ smile

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 21:49:11

I honestly do agree.
??

I shall try to be more circumspect in future. Promise.

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 22:00:47

I think that’s a good plan and one we could all sign up to. Promise to join you smile

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 22:05:42

Aw we have built our own little bridge here. Anyone else want to join us? It’s nice to be nice.

Buddies over Brexit 2020.

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Jan-20 22:07:30

I can’t believe anyone in - let’s say Lidl- actually has the time to scrutinise their change as the cashier puts their goods through at warp speed!

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 22:15:44

If I get a 50p when I am over, I will save it, you never know do you it may go out of circulation at some point. Also cash is becoming outdated. If there are more I will just spend them as normal, monies money.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Jan-20 22:16:45

31/01/2020 Brexit begins, and whatever way anyone voted is now totally irrelevant.

Let’s all move on, hopefully onwards and upwards.

quizqueen Sun 26-Jan-20 22:23:04

This is funny. I will happily accept any of these Brexit 50p coins that people don't want. As for rubbing Remainers' noses in it, for the last 3 and 1/2 years some people have tried to disparage those who voted Leave, often in the most disgusting manner, so I certainly don't give a sh*t about how they feel.

Deedaa Sun 26-Jan-20 22:26:37

One idea is that remainers should just keep any that they are given. If they are only issuing a million they could be out circulation quite quickly. I wouldn't mind them so much if the wording wasn't so awful. Did they get it from Mills and Boon or Moonpig. com?

Chewbacca Sun 26-Jan-20 22:30:18

I use mainly cash but it wouldn't occur to me to look at the coinage I was given in the post office or change from shops. I couldn't care less so long as it's legal tender.

bikergran Sun 26-Jan-20 22:37:00

NanaandGrampy I was just thinking similar.

When Im serving at my checkout and I give people change, I wouldn't
have the time to sift through it to make sure there are none of these coins in.

I just hand them the change, once my till is closed(usually very quickly I cannot open the till)

It was the same when the beatrix potter 50p coins came out, people would say "have you got any Peter rabbit coins "etc

We don't have the time to scrutinise the coins.
(We do have Charity boxes dotted around the store though)

JenniferEccles Sun 26-Jan-20 22:47:54

Clearly then Remainers are still bristling with resentment that their best efforts to thwart the will of the majority, were unsuccessful.

Petty.

Dollymac Sun 26-Jan-20 23:19:16

I, personally feel, as a remainer, am not 'bristling with resentment '
Disappointed, feeling very apprehensive, of course...
I would like think that if the result of the referendum had gone the other way, I could understand the concerns of people who had voted the other way
I don't find that talk of 'the will of the majority ' will necessarily be cohesive

Callistemon Sun 26-Jan-20 23:19:24

GrannyGravy I do, so if anyone has any objections to the Peter Rabbit series of coins on the grounds that animals should not be humanised, please send them to me c/o Gransnet

Likewise any other unwanted 50p coins to add to those I am collecting for the DGC.

Thanks.

newnanny Mon 27-Jan-20 00:32:51

I am hoping to get one in my change. It will be an important date in UK history, however you voted in referendum. I am pkanningcsmall party on Friday and have friends coming ocer to celebrate with us at 11pm. Champagne on ice. Waitinv to seexwhat Boris has planned for us on TV. Hope no fireworks as my cats hate them.