Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remainers might find these blogs interesting

(28 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 01-Feb-20 11:49:00

First, an analysis of the history of the relationships between the UK and 'Europe' (EEC to EU)

From the introduction:

Membership provided an answer to three fundamental questions about Britain’s role in the world, which reached a crisis in the years after 1945. First, how could Britain maintain its prosperity, as a declining industrial power that had lost its colonial markets? Second, how could it project power in the world, once it had lost its empire and its global military reach? Third, how could Britain preserve its sovereignty, in an increasingly globalised world? Put differently, how could Britain ‘take back control’, at a time when it seemed to be leaking sovereignty to the currency markets, to the International Monetary Fund, and to big trading blocs that were setting the rules of world trade?

To the conclusion:

...the big strategic questions have not gone away. What is Britain’s economic future, as a medium-sized economy in a world dominated by China and the United States? What is Britain’s diplomatic role, in a world without an empire? How can Britain maximise its sovereignty over its internal decision-making – which is not an unworthy ambition – in a world in which trade rules are set internationally, in which companies like Google and Facebook have larger GDPs than many countries, and in which issues like climate change render national borders irrelevant?

gladstonediaries.blogspot.com/2020/01/brexit-in-historical-perspective-age-of.html

And, Prof. Chris Grey's blog. I've been reading his blog on and off over the past 3 years.

An analysis of the referendum and the last few years but, just for once, with his personal feelings mentioned. I can't say I feel quite a strongly as he does, but this does touch a chord;

There has not been a single night since the Referendum that I have not woken mid-way through with a feeling of despair, nor a morning I have not woken without the dull, heavy ache of doing so to a world gone wrong. It is the only time in my life I have experienced political events as personal trauma, the worse for there being no prospect of their resolution.

chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/

( Professor of Organization Studies at Royal Holloway, University of London,)

growstuff Sun 02-Feb-20 17:07:56

Themselves?

Daisymae Sun 02-Feb-20 17:15:05

From now we will not be represented in EU meetings in Brussels, nor will we take part in EU summits. But whatever they decide we will still be bound by these decisions. Who thought that was a good idea?