Gransnet forums

News & politics

Campaign for Independent European Citizenship

(33 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 02-Feb-20 15:29:13

www.stayeuropean.org/thanks/

Crazy thought, if the % of the population who sign up beats that of the % of the population who voted 'Leave', the UK should automatically rejoin!

ladymuck Sun 02-Feb-20 16:19:29

We are still European. We always have been and always will be.

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:27:22

GagaJo - that link goes to the thanks for signing page

Lyndylou Sun 02-Feb-20 16:32:29

Absolutely ladymuck. I was an European before we joined the Common Market and I am still an European today.

For people's information, clicking on that link automatically signs you up, so if you just want to check the site out then I suggest you reduce the web site details back to the .org.

evianers Sun 02-Feb-20 16:35:08

In cases like these, very pleased we are neither on FB or Twitter.

ananimous Sun 02-Feb-20 16:35:32

We have left the EU, not Europe, facepalm.
(The schooling is at fault here)

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:36:27

It doesn’t automatically sign you up - it’s just a link to the wrong page. OP you might want to ask HQ to edit the link.

Opal Sun 02-Feb-20 17:54:28

Crazy thought, if the % of the population who sign up beats that of the % of the population who voted 'Leave', the UK should automatically rejoin

Here's another crazy thought: if the % of the population who sign up is less than the % of the population who voted Leave, the UK should automatically deport them to the EU, seeing as how they love it so much.

GagaJo Sun 02-Feb-20 18:16:04

Really Opal? You'd take the birthright of British born people away, just for wanting to remain part of Europe? Leaver mentality I guess.

Will do Nezuni65. Thanks.

Opal Sun 02-Feb-20 18:32:28

And you, Gagajo would take away the democratically won right to leave the EU. Remainer mentality, I guess. As I said, crazy thought.

Mamardoit Sun 02-Feb-20 18:53:30

OP are you Jo Swinson? You need to get a dictionary/google the meaning of the word 'democracy'.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 02-Feb-20 18:56:17

Opal would love to be deported to the EU.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:03:03

???

JenniferEccles Sun 02-Feb-20 22:36:36

Oh yippee!
Another useless, pointless, idiotic petition, which I most definitely will not be signing.

Please try to accept that we have left the EU, end of story!

Dinahmo Sun 02-Feb-20 23:09:26

I don't see why we should accept it. After all there are many who have actively opposed our membership of the EU since we joined and who have never shut up about their opposition.
because we have left the EU we have to get on with our lives and our work but that doesn't mean that we will accept it. Nor will we come together with those whose opinions are different to our own.

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 23:29:03

Well quite Dinah. Even Farage said it wouldn’t be over for him if the ref result had been 48/52 in the other direction hmm

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 23:32:10

And given over 70% of 18-24 year olds voted to remain it’s not an issue that is likely to just go away.

Joelsnan Sun 02-Feb-20 23:38:29

Dinahmo
So you are prepared to sabotage any potential for a better future for future generations just because of sour grapes?
Sad ☹️

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 23:39:47

Well the new generation of voters voted strongly for remain. So I suspect it is just a matter of time (prob a few decades) before the UK rejoins.

Mamardoit Mon 03-Feb-20 05:17:42

And given over 70% of 18-24 year olds voted to remain it’s not an issue that is likely to just go away.

So no one ever changes their political opinions? People change in their voting habits over a life time.

My then 21 year old son voted remain in 2016. His 19 and 23 year old brothers voted leave. They would all vote leave now if asked. In fact they were asked in December and they very reluctantly voted tory.

Three and a half years of what we all witnessed in parliament was a disgrace. That was time that should have been used to do so much not only in relation to the EU but other issues too.

Mr Tusk said there is a special place in hell reserved for some. If such a place exists John Bercow should join them.

Mamardoit Mon 03-Feb-20 05:45:36

*I don't see why we should accept it. After all there are many who have actively opposed our membership of the EU since we joined and who have never shut up about their opposition.
because we have left the EU we have to get on with our lives and our work but that doesn't mean that we will accept it. Nor will we come together with those whose opinions are different to our own.*

No one is asking you to change your opinion or accept the vote. I never wanted Mrs T as PM but I had to suck it up because my fellow citizens voted her in.

Can someone explain how these petitions are supposed to work. Surely anyone can sign (multipal times if they have more than one email?). Under 18s ? Foreign nationals? People with too much time on their hands can vote on behalf of their pets maybe.

Davidhs Mon 03-Feb-20 07:49:51

Although I’m a remainer I’m British first, enjoying the free travel and trade advantages we have, in the future I hope most of those will continue. I have never thought of myself as a “European National”, it does not exist.

janeainsworth Mon 03-Feb-20 07:51:52

www.stayeuropean.org/
Here’s the link to the homepage

janeainsworth Mon 03-Feb-20 08:01:24

Do you know who is behind this petition gagajo?
I like the idea, but would also like to know who is running it.

Ginny42 Mon 03-Feb-20 08:09:43

Jennifereccles, please spare a thought for those of us with family living in the EU and how being separated from them is going to impact on us. Can you show some empathy to others with a different life from you?