Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump cleared. An outrage.

(79 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 05-Feb-20 21:38:59

Unbelievable. What is wrong with Americans? How can it be right that Trump has been cleared? How can Republican senators sleep at night? How can they even look at themselves in the mirror? This is so fundamentally wrong.

varian Thu 06-Feb-20 19:04:33

About the same as it was when he got 3 million less votes than Hillary Clinton.

SirChenjin Thu 06-Feb-20 18:45:01

49% - and not necessarily so... www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/02/06/has-trumps-approval-rating-really-shot-up-49-percent-probably-not/%3foutputType=amp

rosecarmel Thu 06-Feb-20 18:16:41

People do like them- All people might even like them but not for what either of them represent, since they both only represent a percentage of all citizens- People adored Obama, too- But he didn't represent everyone either- As a result .. here we are ..

Approval ratings in the US have been consistant, more disapprove than approve- But polls don't represent votes-

Urmstongran Thu 06-Feb-20 17:51:52

His popularity rating is like Boris’ though - 51%. The people like them! Well, not all, obviously.

rosecarmel Thu 06-Feb-20 17:18:46

He's his own executive producer of his own show- Today at the National Prayer Breakfast, he came across as exhausted- He blamed the Democrats for causing him and his family suffering-

He sets the stage-

I don't think his American base believes him- What they do believe is that he'll give them attention, they've already given up hope- And he knows it- He looked at the millions neglected by prior administrations, gave them a shout out, and collected their votes- Impoverished as the day is long, they still find a ways to donate 5 dollars to his campaign, rides to his rallys, because he showers them with attention -

MaizieD Thu 06-Feb-20 16:58:25

Trump style gestures seem to work very well for Trump, Ug.

Perhaps Pelosi feels that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

MaizieD Thu 06-Feb-20 16:52:32

I've seen some talk of Trump's fragile mental state; suggestions that he appears to be exhibiting Alzheimers type symptoms. If this is so, would he make it through to November? Or through another term as POTUS?

soop Thu 06-Feb-20 16:51:32

I cannot for the life of me understand why it is that the American people who have faith in Donald Trump, appear to be oblivious to the man lurking behind the mask.

SirChenjin Thu 06-Feb-20 16:21:50

Not at all Urm. Remember that DT didn’t win a majority of votes last time and still has a less than favourable rating. It’s interesting that you think Pelosi’s reaction is worthy of mention but haven’t discussed any of Trump’s low life behaviour leading up to this.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Feb-20 16:12:42

Let’s be honest, the Democrats have made a mess of what should have been an easy job of going into the Presidential elections with a candidate more likely to win than Donald Trump.

Instead Donald Trump is currently at a personal high with ratings at 49%, seemingly benefiting from the Impeachment proceedings.

How did this happen?

By the Democrats being too obsessed with trying to find legal devices to remove Trump from office, and giving too little attention to getting behind a good candidate and promoting good policies which would appeal to Americans right across the whole of the USA.

Even Nancy Pelosi’s tearing up the State of the Union speech looked more like a Trump-style, petulant gesture just when the Democrats needed to show that they offered something more “adult”.

And that’s before we get started on the Iowa debacle.

Jane10 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:01:55

That's reassuring. Fingers crossed they reflect this change of heart at the ballot box.

Yehbutnobut Thu 06-Feb-20 15:37:25

Well....had an interesting conversation with my BiL last night. A previous Trump supporter, but one (of many I suspect) who voter for him against his better judgment because he a) didn’t like Hilary and b) because he thought as a ‘businessman’ he might bring something different and positive to politics.

No intention of backing him again. He lies, he tries to wriggle out of everything and he’s embarrassing. That was the gist of his conversation. I suspect there are quite a few disillusioned Americans out there.

Yes, those who think his core supporters, those racist red necks and a certain type of woman, will continue to support him are correct, but thinking Americans are disillusioned and, yes, embarrassed by him.

Jane10 Thu 06-Feb-20 13:06:28

Sorry. I just thought that it's wrong to break the law, that bullying is wrong, that senators of all parties might just know right from wrong, that integrity counts.
I'm glad I'm not so cynical that I just nod it through or expect it.

maddyone Thu 06-Feb-20 11:45:53

SirChenin is right, it’s not unbelievable, actually it’s entirely believable knowing the USA. What’s unbelievable is that people are surprised.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Feb-20 11:11:20

Trump definitely will get 4 more years now. There is no credible (or popular) opposition.

JenniferEccles Thu 06-Feb-20 11:02:48

Ironically the failed impeachment attempt could end backfiring on the Democrats.

Apparently Trump’s supporters are even more likely to rally round him as they tend to view it as ‘their’ impeachment.

Not the result the Democrats were hoping for!

Pittcity Thu 06-Feb-20 08:48:53

Stolen from Facebook: "The Hamburglar was found Not Guilty at the trial about “Who Stole The Hamburgers?”"

varian Thu 06-Feb-20 07:51:47

Following the Watergate scandal US Prssident Richard Nixon resigned becore he could be impeached.

In 1977 he agreed to be interviewed on tv by David Frost (for a huge fee).

Nixon admitted that he did unethical things, adding, "When the President does it, that means it's not illegal." A stunned Frost was on the verge of inducing a confession when Nixon's minder burst into the room and stopped the recording.

Does Donald Trump now believe that he can do what he likes because, as Nixon claimed, "if the President does it it is not illegal"?

Jane10 Thu 06-Feb-20 06:40:57

God help America with that cartoon bad guy in office.

rosecarmel Thu 06-Feb-20 01:03:27

Trump Tweeted a video of himself running for President indefinitely-

Ginny42 Thu 06-Feb-20 00:20:31

It was never going to end any other way was it in a trial without witnesses? He now has carte blanche to continue to do just as he pleases and can look forward success in the November election carried by the waves of Republican euphoria.

The comparisons are becoming more apparent MaizieD and the same is happening here i.e. the attempt to exclude sections of the press from a briefing in Downing Street. Scary isn't it?

rosecarmel Thu 06-Feb-20 00:19:13

Yep!

MaizieD Wed 05-Feb-20 23:44:35

Being in the minority doesn't make one wrong.

I've been resisting the urge to compare for some time now, but I have to say that people who opposed Hitler were in the minority...

I'm right with you, suziewoozie and I'm sure that others are...

suziewoozie Wed 05-Feb-20 23:13:37

Was

suziewoozie Wed 05-Feb-20 23:13:21

So quiz and Urm believe what DT did re Ukraine wax perfectly acceptable. Wow just wow..