Gransnet forums

News & politics

More heartbreak for the Queen

(161 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:08:19

Apparently Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn have split up.

I'm so sorry to read this news. I thought they were the happiest of the younger royals, living at Gatcombe with their lovely little girls.

How sad for Princess Anne. sad

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:11:24

Peter and Autumn’s separation is sad, in particular, because there are two children involved. Princess Anne will be saddened I should think.

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:14:29

Good point Acer.

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 10:17:45

I saw the Queen cry, not over the royal yacht

endlessstrife Tue 11-Feb-20 10:17:48

Just watch the dramas and documentaries that are around at the moment, on the Royal family to see how miserable they are. Whatever we think of them, they ARE a safety net. I do agree though, stuck between a rock and a hard place comes to mind when weighing up a Trump like head of State, or Prince Charles. Perhaps we could skip straight to Prince William.

Jabberwok Tue 11-Feb-20 10:18:06

Masses of support for Prince Harry on here despite his inherited wealth and freebies, yet vilification for the Queen for the same reason! How sad and inconsistent is that?!!

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 10:19:04

Why not Charles ?

Jabberwok Tue 11-Feb-20 10:19:41

What's wrong with Prince Charles that's right with Prince William? He's privileged and extremely wealthy too!

Nanny41 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:20:43

Sad times,and money doesnt help.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:21:52

Terribull I didn't know that Autumn had had to renounce her Catholic faith.

This has a precedent though, as Prince Michael of Kent is Catholic and didn't her husband renounce any right to the throne in order to marry her so she could keep her faith?

Could Peter Phillips not have done that for his wife?

merlotgran I wonder if there have been restrictions on younger members of the RF moving overseas to live but now Harry has set another precedent. Or perhaps they just did not want to upset her grandmother.
Zara's father lives in New Zealand.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:22:57

*Princess Michael of Kent
Prince Michael renounced his right to the throne?

This tablet likes to think for me.

endlessstrife Tue 11-Feb-20 10:24:49

Charles isn’t a Christian, which rather clashes with the whole head of the church position. William may not be either of course, but he hasn’t stated he will be “ defender of the faiths”. If they can’t uphold Christian values, then they shouldn’t be there, and perhaps we will end up with a head of state.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:25:03

Yes, Prince Michael was 15th in line, which is the position that Peter Phillips holds.

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 10:25:06

Harry gets support for ditching royal duties but keeping the house , the title and money from this country, the working
royals gets criticism.

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 10:28:40

I think Charles is right to ‘defend faiths’, doesn’t mean he isn’t
a Christian.

Acer Tue 11-Feb-20 10:33:11

Money has little to do with love. If love has truly gone it is better to be honest and admit the sadness that surrounds the entire situation. As sad as it is, I believe truth is so important and although the children will be from a broken home, it is such a common occurrence, very sadly, the best one can hope for is parents thinking along the same lines.
I feel our monarch is the backbone of many people her values are supported by so many. It’s in our every day lives that we come across ‘things’ that we wouldn’t want any respected or otherwise person to come across. The f’ing and jeffing, the road rage etcetera. Many need the structure and values of life she stands by.

Kandinsky Tue 11-Feb-20 10:33:42

This news, sad as it is, is probably the least of her worries.

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:36:26

I think Charles’s decision to be defender of faiths is simply a recognition that there are a variety of faiths in the UK now, whereas in quite recent history there was only Christian, either Catholic or Protestant.

gillybob Tue 11-Feb-20 10:39:05

The break up of any marriage is sad . From what I have read, Peter does not seem to have seen it coming . Such a shame if she takes the girls off to Canada, but I suppose they are fortunate to have the money to be able to fly backwards and forwards .

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:40:45

As the monarch one day, Charles would become Supreme Governor of the Church of England so not being a Christian is an absurd notion.

However, he says he would defend the right of everyone in this country to have the freedom to worship as they wish.

Moggycuddler Tue 11-Feb-20 10:41:21

Look how long most of them live compared to the rest of us. And why? Because they have so much money for the best of everything and the best medical treatment. Unfair. As my old Dad used to say, the Queen "hasn't opened her pay packet from 30 years ago."

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:47:57

But Moggy, there are many, many other wealthy people in the UK, many of them having inherited their wealth. Why be upset about the royals, surely if wealth is the problem then all wealthy people should be discussed. Is wealth the reason for many people’s dislike of the monarchy?

gillybob Tue 11-Feb-20 10:48:56

I agree with you Moggycuddler they enjoy the best food and the best medical treatment money can buy. They will never know what it’s like to be cold and hungry. To be ill and in desperate need of treatment but have to wait months .

It’s not the fact that they are rich that bothers me it’s the obscenity of the vast riches whilst her Maj’s “subjects” are queuing at food banks. But I doubt she gives them a second thought.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 10:50:36

King George VI - died at 56

A relative of mine is 100

That statement is nonsensical Moggycuddler.

gillybob Tue 11-Feb-20 10:51:20

It’s not just about the wealth though Maddyone . It’s about the preaching hypocrisy. And that goes to all of these obscenely rich celebs too. Jetting around the world while preaching to us how we should take care of the environment and cut our carbon footprints . Do as I say, not as I do.

Anniebach Tue 11-Feb-20 10:57:01

Quite some years ago Charles spoke out about plastic etc , he was mocked .

He was mocked for believing all faiths should be respected.