Gransnet forums

News & politics

More heartbreak for the Queen

(161 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:08:19

Apparently Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn have split up.

I'm so sorry to read this news. I thought they were the happiest of the younger royals, living at Gatcombe with their lovely little girls.

How sad for Princess Anne. sad

Jabberwok Wed 12-Feb-20 14:10:38

What would never have happened?!! But for Mrs Simpson Edward would not have abdicated and who knows what sort of king he would have made! The monarchy was in far safer hands with brother Albert (George V1th) and his family, as their father observed . King James the 1st was the foremost enthusiast of the divine right of kings, this doctrine virtually disappeared from English politics after the glorious revolution in 1688. It persisted in France into the early 19th century, quite sometime after the first revolution,

maddyone Wed 12-Feb-20 14:12:23

Yes indeed Suzie, it was probably a very good job he abdicated, his track record re the Nazis wasn’t good.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 14:13:48

Maybe WS was a plant to give the Government an excuse to get rid of him? ?

Milly Wed 12-Feb-20 17:21:40

I think its a pity it has to be so public. Its painful enough without the Press. magnifying it.

oldgimmer1 Wed 12-Feb-20 17:33:35

Suzie if she wasn't a plant, she certainly came along at a most convenient time for the Govt!

blue60 Wed 12-Feb-20 17:36:31

Things happen in all families : divorce, death, affairs etc. It's no different to the rest of us except for the publicity angle.

Life moves on.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 17:39:24

But if it wasn’t for his public persona, he wouldn’t have got £500,000 from Hello or obscene amounts for advertising milk in a China. Swings and roundabouts.

maddyone Wed 12-Feb-20 19:12:24

I dislike the selling of royal connections, whether it’s H+M or Peter Phillips or anyone else. At the risk of sounding like a complete prude (I’m not) it’s unseemly.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 19:22:04

And certainly maddy if you make money from that connection, you deserve no sympathy if aspects of your personal life are considered of public interest.

maddyone Wed 12-Feb-20 19:32:36

I agree Suzie.