Gransnet forums

News & politics

Read the 'inside' story of today's reshuffle.

(85 Posts)
M0nica Thu 13-Feb-20 20:42:57

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/13/javids-self-worth-wasnt-part-of-the-plan-for-cummings-sorry-johnson grin

anniezzz09 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:58:23

GagaJo me too, it's tempting to think of moving, say to France or Ireland, but there's lots of troubling change going on everywhere. I love talking to young people and hearing their refreshing views on the world but many of them are being failed on the education front. I know quite a few teachers and they all say the same as you.

I don't know if you ever listen to Any Questions but it was on the radio while we were decorating today (!) and there were many, many questions about DC and even Conservative voters expressing doubts about where our politics were going. It was a little comforting.

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:10:08

Many young and middle-aged people have already made the decision to relocate to another EU country.

This exodus has not registered because we are not talking about huge numbers of Remainers, but the people who have already moved or are about to move, like half of my family, are the people we can least afford to lose.

These are the best British graduates, the doctors, nurses, scientists, engineers, architects, technologists, traders, IT professionals, linguists and talented creative entrepreneurs who can do well anywhere, but not in post-Brexit little Britain.

anniezzz09 Sat 15-Feb-20 20:01:23

Varian yes, always appreciate your posts. sad

Labaik Sun 16-Feb-20 18:05:44

Returning to the subject of tabloids and why I hate them; this is from T he Guardian.....'The death of Caroline Flack has once again focused attention on the behaviour of the British tabloids, who had followed every twist and turn of her private life – coverage, critics argue, that fed vicious online abuse of a clearly vulnerable woman.
Within hours of the announcement, hundreds of celebrities and members of the public had backed calls for a “Caroline’s law” against excessive media intrusion while Laura Whitmore, who succeeded Flack as host of Love Island for the current series, suggested media coverage contributed to her friend’s death.
“To the press, the newspapers, who create clickbait, who demonise and tear down success, we’ve had enough,” said Whitmore in an impassioned speech on her weekly BBC Radio 5 live show.
“I’ve seen journalists and Twitter warriors talk of this tragedy and they themselves twisted what the truth is … Your words affect people. To paparazzi and tabloids looking for a cheap sell, to trolls hiding behind a keyboard, enough.”

Dinahmo Wed 19-Feb-20 22:32:47

Also returning to the tabloids - I dislike them because of their extremely wealthy proprietors who wanted us to leave the EU because of the changes to taxation that were introduced by the EU in January. Since the Guardian and Observer are owned by a trust changes to taxation are one criticism that cannot be aimed at them.

MawB Wed 19-Feb-20 22:35:36

Are you suggesting The Guardian is a tabloid Labaik ?
More than a bit off the mark.
The format may have changed from the old days, but in ethic, it is still very much a broadsheet.

MawB Wed 19-Feb-20 22:38:17

For those in doubt

A tabloid
a newspaper having pages half the size of those of the average broadsheet, typically popular in style and dominated by sensational stories
"the tabloid press
NORTH AMERICAN
lurid and sensational

Labaik Thu 20-Feb-20 13:21:36

The Guardian article was criticising the tabloids and their part in Caroline Flacks death. Or did I misread it? Do you have to jump in and criticise me even before properly reading what I have said these days?? Can you please explain to me why I'm suggesting The Guardian is a tabloid and, if not apologise. Thank you. Of course, I should have put it in italics or something....sad

M0nica Thu 20-Feb-20 22:46:52

Priti was a natural. It wasn’t often you could find a home secretary who was both vicious and stupid. The ideal combo.

Quote from OP link.

After yesterday's announcement. A classic case of life imitating art!